Kyle Walters

Started by ModAdmin, February 15, 2023, 06:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on February 16, 2023, 06:43:02 PM
2 things come to mind....I remember Lawler making 2 insane diving highlight reel catches in one game last year on long bomb passes that looked uncatchable, and then I think about the long pass Schoen dropped in the GC game. $305 was not too much to spend last year, as we would have had another GC with him in our lineup.

Don't make me cry.  Lawler truly became elite in '22.  What he was doing with that garbage team in EDM was incredible.  Gumby took it to the next level.  And yes, if Lawler was in WPG and in the GC, he makes that Schoen catch, no matter what kind of flyin' or contortin' was required.  I'm still bitter Schoen didn't lay out for it.  It set the tone that we were losers that night.  We had no mojo.  He makes that catch and TOR would have deflated into jello before the half.  It's the type of catch you have to make in a GC.   :'( :'( :'( :-[ :-[ :'( >:( >:( >:(
Never go full Rider!

DM83

or maybe he can placekick?  :'(

blue_gold_84

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 17, 2023, 05:51:00 AM
Lawler truly became elite in '21. 

FTFY

His sophomore season put him in the elite category.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 17, 2023, 03:29:54 PM
FTFY

His sophomore season put him in the elite category.

+1

You don't sign for the league high at a position unless you have established elite status.

He had a great year, aside from the injury.  No reason he could not have re-signed in Edm for $300k+, or almost any other team.  Landing him for $265 for this year is pretty awesome.

We let him walk for $300k because no WR had signed a deal like that in the SMS era.  Its not that we didn't want/need him, or thought that we were set with the squad we had (no one could have predicted Schoen's success, sorry).  And trying to add him late in the season is, again, great GMing.  Addressing the loss of Ellingson by actually improving at the position.

I guess one upside to the injury/non-trade is that we get him this year at $265k... not sure that deal gets made if we are re-signing him after a full season played.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

Just an aside,....maybe Kyle should announce his own signing!!!

Cool Spot

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 16, 2023, 02:57:01 PM
1) Walters probably made the wrong call on letting Lawler leave to begin with. Last year $300,000 for top end receivers was too steep, this year it's the norm and Walters re-signing Lawler for that amount proves he was more or less wrong in his evaluation last off-season -- both in terms of market value and his contribution to the team.

I thought picking up Ellingson to make up for the loss of Lawler was a good move; in the first 6 games of the year, Ellingson performed very well. However, he got hurt and upon his return, he wasn't as productive as he had been originally (perhaps because of the rise of Schoen and Demski). So, maybe it was tough to lose Lawler but I don't think it mattered that much in the short run.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Cool Spot on February 18, 2023, 05:42:37 PM
I thought picking up Ellingson to make up for the loss of Lawler was a good move; in the first 6 games of the year, Ellingson performed very well. However, he got hurt and upon his return, he wasn't as productive as he had been originally (perhaps because of the rise of Schoen and Demski). So, maybe it was tough to lose Lawler but I don't think it mattered that much in the short run.

The Ellingson pick-up in '22 was a brilliant move that was better than anyone could have imagined.  I rewatched the 1st 4 games and he was hoooooottt.  Zach instantly picked him as his #1, it was clear, and he stayed that way until injury.

But yes, after his injury he really was useless.  Something must have still been wrong.  Maybe he wasn't as quick?  He wasn't getting open at all.  Stunk in the GC, except for that one monster superb awesome 2nd down clutch sideline grab.  Should have used that play more: it can't be defended.

Goes to show you a washed-up vet stinking in a garbage team can still look like a #1 with a great team and QB.  The key, then, for the old fogies is can they stay out of the tub... If Ellingson gets released mid-year and we're short a SB for whatever reason, pull a Denmark and get him on the phone...
Never go full Rider!