Collaros extended through 2025

Started by BlueInCgy, October 18, 2022, 12:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Smart move by KW to sign Zach long-term before he wins a 3rd GC for us (*)... Imagine what he'd be worth in FA after that 3rd cup!

* allegedly!   ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

John Lu
@JohnLuTSNWpg
#BlueBombers GM Kyle Walters said Collaros' negotiations began during the first bye week. Collaros locking in with new CFL guaranteed contract provision should lead to Winnipeg signing "more names after the Grey Cup and into the new year," said Walters.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

BLUEBOMBER

I am concerned about the salary cap no doubt. Every player in the locker room deserves more money bit there really is a set pool of money to spread. One or two vets will probably need to go unless they love playing here so much that they are willing to keep their salaries the same or even take less.

TecnoGenius

With inflation and the CAD$ situation one would think the league will raise the cap more than previously expected next year; existing CBA be damned.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on October 19, 2022, 06:29:41 AM
I am concerned about the salary cap no doubt. Every player in the locker room deserves more money bit there really is a set pool of money to spread. One or two vets will probably need to go unless they love playing here so much that they are willing to keep their salaries the same or even take less.

I'm predicting they lose at least 4-6 starters this off-season to retirement, F.A. and the NFL. Schoen, Houston, Nichols and Dobson will possibly give the NFL a whirl given the opportunity.  Bryant, Thomas and possibly Bighill retire, Augustine moves on seeking more opportunity to play, and at least a couple of linemen from both sides of the ball are lost to better offers in F.A. or to play closer to home. Possibilities, Couture, Kona, Lawson, Sayles, BOLO, Agudosi, Rutledge, throw in a couple of spare Natl. DB's like Thompson or Kramdi that have shown well but haven't earned a starters spot.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 19, 2022, 04:46:39 PM
I'm predicting they lose at least 4-6 starters this off-season to retirement, F.A. and the NFL. Schoen, Houston, Nichols and Dobson will possibly give the NFL a whirl given the opportunity.  Bryant, Thomas and possibly Bighill retire, Augustine moves on seeking more opportunity to play, and at least a couple of linemen from both sides of the ball are lost to better offers in F.A. or to play closer to home. Possibilities, Couture, Kona, Lawson, Sayles, BOLO, Agudosi, Rutledge, throw in a couple of spare Natl. DB's like Thompson or Kramdi that have shown well but haven't earned a starters spot.

That's a long, long list, and I think Walters is a far better GM than one who would let that level of defection happen.

Yes, every player that is facing FA can end up signing elsewhere.  But cashing playoff cheques is fresh in the mind when looking at your future.  And those can be a substantial incentive to hang on a possible dynastic team with its multi-MOP QB already under contract.  And if WJ5 re-signs (as is rumoured to be in negotiations), then even more likely players stay.

There are many players that left for the cash.  Harris, Lawler, Sayles, Lucky, even Darby... and I don't think any of them regretted the cash, but all seem to miss the team...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on October 19, 2022, 05:21:28 PM
That's a long, long list, and I think Walters is a far better GM than one who would let that level of defection happen.

Yes, every player that is facing FA can end up signing elsewhere.  But cashing playoff cheques is fresh in the mind when looking at your future.  And those can be a substantial incentive to hang on a possible dynastic team with its multi-MOP QB already under contract.  And if WJ5 re-signs (as is rumoured to be in negotiations), then even more likely players stay.

There are many players that left for the cash.  Harris, Lawler, Sayles, Lucky, even Darby... and I don't think any of them regretted the cash, but all seem to miss the team...

I'm just provide a list of possible losses, still willing to peg the losses at 4-6 players considering roster turnover of most teams is usually around 20-30% per season, as good as it now is, there will still be attrition.  Listen to Walters press conference yesterday, once players reach F.A. it's out of his control, that's why he's keen to lock up their core players early before meddling season begins.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 19, 2022, 06:23:02 PM
I'm just provide a list of possible losses, still willing to peg the losses at 4-6 players considering roster turnover of most teams is usually around 20-30% per season, as good as it now is, there will still be attrition.  Listen to Walters press conference yesterday, once players reach F.A. it's out of his control, that's why he's keen to lock up their core players early before meddling season begins.

10% would be 6 players, and I think that will be reasonable, depending on the cap for 2023.

Zach has definitely eaten up a lot of cap, and WJ5 will as well.  We may lose a few to NFL tryouts, not sure what happens when/if they return, contract wise.

Regardless what the losses are, I have faith in our scouts to have replacements ready to step in.  And for our coaches to get them to speed.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

JA27 signed a two-year deal so unless we trade him, he is going nowhere. Houston and Nichols both gave the NFL a shot and didn't make it. Dobson just isn't good enough at this point. Kolski is also under contract for next year.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

Nichols is going on 28. He is passed expiry date for NFL. Houston not healthy enough to get a chance. Not enough real game tape.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 19, 2022, 11:06:43 PM
Nichols is going on 28. He is passed expiry date for NFL. Houston not healthy enough to get a chance. Not enough real game tape.

Speaking of Nichols, when are the Bombers going to finally sign Matt and allow him to retire as a Bomber?  It would have been perfect to do it at their final home game with a big crowd in attendance.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 20, 2022, 01:14:38 AM
Speaking of Nichols, when are the Bombers going to finally sign Matt and allow him to retire as a Bomber?  It would have been perfect to do it at their final home game with a big crowd in attendance.

This is so perfect an idea.  This this this.  Love this.  The whole franchise turnaround basically started with 3 players: Nichols and Bighill and Andrew33.

But if it wasn't already in the works, not sure there's enough time to get it done.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Nichols just left! It will get done soon enough I am sure.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 20, 2022, 03:32:04 AM
Nichols just left! It will get done soon enough I am sure.

Ya, but he officially announced his retirement a couple of months ago.  It would look best if done in the same year as his announcement.  Wait too long and (more) people will be like "meh".
Never go full Rider!

Sec227

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 19, 2022, 12:42:25 AM
Zach has been the highest paid CFL player this year and will probably remain so next year.

Riders Give Bo 601,000, LOL. Why, because he will want to be the highest paid Player. 2 Grey Cups, 2 MOP's in his career.