Collaros extended through 2025

Started by BlueInCgy, October 18, 2022, 12:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 20, 2022, 07:09:49 AM
Ya, but he officially announced his retirement a couple of months ago.  It would look best if done in the same year as his announcement.  Wait too long and (more) people will be like "meh".

Exactly and it would be nice to get it done while the majority of players he played with are still here.

Jesse

SJ Green is just doing it now and he hasn't played in three years.

But it's honestly just a song and dance and to do it with Matt would feel a little forced. Didn't see the success we're seeing now until he got injured and we're still playing with the guy who replaced him.

So...maybe one day but not right now?
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on October 20, 2022, 06:52:43 PM
Didn't see the success we're seeing now until he got injured and we're still playing with the guy who replaced him.

Playoff success, you mean.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on October 20, 2022, 06:52:43 PM
SJ Green is just doing it now and he hasn't played in three years.

But it's honestly just a song and dance and to do it with Matt would feel a little forced. Didn't see the success we're seeing now until he got injured and we're still playing with the guy who replaced him.

So...maybe one day but not right now?

This is the problem with delaying it, some people already forget how big a part of the 2019 team Nichols was, without his 10 wins Collaros and the rest of the team don't make the playoffs. Plus he saved O'Shea's job back in 2016 when he took over from Drew Willy and turned a a 1-4 start, into an 11-7 season.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 20, 2022, 07:21:58 PM
Playoff success, you mean.

Don't recall getting 14 wins with Nichols (last year being a similar win % in a shorter season).
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on October 20, 2022, 11:20:50 PM
Don't recall getting 14 wins with Nichols (last year being a similar win % in a shorter season).

We're not suggesting Nichols be nominated for the Ring of Honour, we're just looking for the team to step up and honour his contribution to their current success by allowing him to retire as a Bomber.  Is that asking too much?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 21, 2022, 02:35:46 AM
We're not suggesting Nichols be nominated for the Ring of Honour, we're just looking for the team to step up and honour his contribution to their current success by allowing him to retire as a Bomber.  Is that asking too much?

Yes, he's no AH33 for WFC-importance, but Nichols was pivotal in turning the under-.500 team into a regular winner.  Before Zach ever arrived we already expected WPG to win at IGF nearly every game.  I still contend we win the '19 GC with Nichols, with only the WDF a difficult win for him.

Life kind of screwed over Nichols in '19.  He got a bad break at the worst time.  I feel sorry for him and will always wonder what could have been.  Zach is clearly better, but Nichols was more than enough to keep this team winning.  I bet fans like in SSK and OTT would kill to have a 2018-2019 Nichols as their QB right now!
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 21, 2022, 02:35:46 AM

I was responding to BG84 who suggested the only difference was play-off success - but that's simply not true.

I also think it's awkward timing, given that his replacement is still here - being much better. It might be better to put some time in before you bring Matt back.

I also am indifferent to most one-day contracts. If it means something to Matt and the club they'll make it happen. Otherwise...meh.

My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on October 21, 2022, 12:05:12 PM
I was responding to BG84 who suggested the only difference was play-off success - but that's simply not true.

I also think it's awkward timing, given that his replacement is still here - being much better. It might be better to put some time in before you bring Matt back.

I also am indifferent to most one-day contracts. If it means something to Matt and the club they'll make it happen. Otherwise...meh.

Stared perfectly. This all the way ^
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Sec227

Quote from: theaardvark on October 19, 2022, 07:35:56 PM
10% would be 6 players, and I think that will be reasonable, depending on the cap for 2023.

Zach has definitely eaten up a lot of cap, and WJ5 will as well.  We may lose a few to NFL tryouts, not sure what happens when/if they return, contract wise.

Regardless what the losses are, I have faith in our scouts to have replacements ready to step in.  And for our coaches to get them to speed.

I even wonder..If they get their 3rd cup. How many vets will take a bit of "pay cut", to come here and actually compete for another one? Some guys have been on east teams for many years. Maybe the allure of playing for a championship team would sway them.

blue_gold_84

Not at all what I stated or suggested. During the regular season, the Bombers were still a very successful team from 2016 to 2019 with Nichols at the helm. Going 12-6 in 2017, for example (easily his best campagin). The playoff success since 2019 is the key difference, which is what I meant. We saw a concerted effort during that first run where all phases of the team played remarkably well and ended the drought.

Obviously, Collaros' resurgence as a top tier QB can't be understated, as evidenced by his sparkling record as starter the last two seasons.

What would be awkward about it?

Take it FWIW but Nichols reportedly reached out and tried to retire with the Bombers:  https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2022/aug/15/ex-eastern-washington-qb-matt-nichols-quietly-step/

Maybe it just wasn't viable this past summer but it'd be a nice gesture for him to sign that one-day contract and officially retire as a member of the WFC, considering his tenure and success he had here.

Perhaps next year.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 21, 2022, 04:07:12 PM
Not at all what I stated or suggested. During the regular season, the Bombers were still a very successful team from 2016 to 2019 with Nichols at the helm. Going 12-6 in 2017, for example (easily his best campagin). The playoff success since 2019 is the key difference, which is what I meant. We saw a concerted effort during that first run where all phases of the team played remarkably well and ended the drought.

I think I understand what you mean, I just disagree.

We were a good team under Nichols - he went approx. 37-19 (0.661) as a regular season starter for us.

We are a great team under Collaros - Who has gone approx. 31 - 3 (0.912) as a regular season starter.

So, in my opinion, the play off success is not they key difference. We're a completely different team. And I think that while we're in this current form, Nichols more represents the guy who couldn't do it, rather than the guy who brought us out of the basement.

If we bother to do it at all - which I could take or leave - I think it makes more sense to wait until this current iteration of the team has concluded.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

No issues with Nichols retiring a Bomber.  He had his bet years here, and the team supported him.

That's not a question / issue.

Does he get a ring of honour spot, or some such, I don't think his body of work warrants that.

Should he get a "Thank you" night next year, sure... he signs his one day deal, and retires a Bpmber that night, I have no issue at all with that scenario.  Could even do it preseason and give him a snap or two...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.