Collaros extended through 2025

Started by BlueInCgy, October 18, 2022, 12:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueInCgy

The Zipp

Great signing.  The dude is just an incredible QB - with 3 more years he has the chance to establish himself as the best QB in Bomber history.

The Zipp

Winnipeg Blue Bombers agree to terms on three-year contract extension with quarterback Zach Collaros

CFL's reigning Most Outstanding Player will remain in Blue and Gold through 2025

WINNIPEG - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have agreed to terms with All-Star quarterback Zach Collaros on a three-year contract extension through the 2025 season. He was scheduled to become a free agent in February.

Collaros (6-0, 222; University of Cincinnati; born: August 27, 1988, in Steubenville, OH) is the Canadian Football League's reigning Most Outstanding Player and a leading candidate for the award again in 2022. He has posted career-high passing totals this season, having thrown for 4,115 yards and 35 touchdowns. The 35 passing TDs not only leads the CFL but has tied him with Tom Clements (1987) for third-most in Blue Bombers history. His 7,521 yards passing as a Blue Bomber also ranks 11th on the franchise's all-time list.

The Blue Bombers are 14-2 under Collaros in 2022 and 31-4 in his starts since his arrival in October of 2019. Included in that run are the back-to-back Grey Cup championships of 2019 and 2021 and a perfect 5-0 record overall in the playoffs. Collaros has been named a CFL Top Performer three times in 2022 (Weeks 5, 8 and 14) and has been twice named a CFL Top Performer of the Month (July and September).

The 2021 season was a memorable one for Collaros as he helped guide the club to a second consecutive championship while being named the CFL?s Most Outstanding Player, the Blue Bombers? Most Outstanding Player as well as earning West Division and CFL All-Star honours. He was also named the MVP of the 108th Grey Cup after a 33-25 overtime victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. In the process, he became the first Blue Bombers quarterback to lead the club to consecutive Grey Cup championships since Ken Ploen in 1961-62. Collaros led the CFL in passing touchdowns in 2021 with 20 and posted a league-best quarterback efficiency rating of 111.0, while his 3,185 passing yards ranked second.

The Bombers acquired Collaros on October 9, 2019, in a trade with the Toronto Argonauts. Upon his arrival, he led the Bombers to a 4-0 record, winning his debut in the club?s regular season finale before the run to the Grey Cup that also included victories in the Western Semi-Final and Western Final, all this after having been traded twice during the year, first from Saskatchewan to Toronto, then from the Argos to Winnipeg.

Collaros first signed in the CFL with the Argos in 2012 and has since appeared in 122 regular season games with Toronto, Hamilton, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg. Boosted by his numbers this year, Collaros has moved up 15 places on the CFL's all-time passing yardage to 23rd overall at 24,279.

wpg#1

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

3rdand1.5

Sir Blue and Gold

Jesse

Just amazing news.

Agree with Zipp, three more years of what we've seen could put Zach with all of the greats.

It has him under contract during the home Grey Cup game.

It suggests that there are other contracts that will be signed shortly to continue a our league winning continuity.

Just incredible stuff.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

jdrattops

This signing along with the announcement of the Bombers going after the 2025 GC!!!!  Walters and O'Shea must be thinking of a Sixpeat.  Three more years of domination.......priceless!

bluengold204

Quote from: Jesse on October 18, 2022, 02:13:43 PM
Just amazing news.

Agree with Zipp, three more years of what we've seen could put Zach with all of the greats.

It has him under contract during the home Grey Cup game.

It suggests that there are other contracts that will be signed shortly to continue a our league winning continuity.

Just incredible stuff.

Hold up we hosting the grey cup again soon?

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

TBURGESS

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

theaardvark

Do, Domino one has fallen... thought it would be O'Shea signing first to guarantee everyone else, but this is a great start...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: theaardvark on October 18, 2022, 03:19:49 PM
Do, Domino one has fallen... thought it would be O'Shea signing first to guarantee everyone else, but this is a great start...

;D

Blue In BC

Great news. Sounds like more extensions to be announced or done shortly. Not complaining but this seems to be happening earlier than in previous years after remaining SMS is calculated. Must have been some changes in the new CBA?

Anyway starting with getting Collaros extended is excellent.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Bomber fan for life

GCn19

Fantastic extension. Well done Mr. Walters.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

M.O.A.B.

I believe both Brown and Prukop are pending FA after this year. Who's gonna be brought is the next question.

Pigskin

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 18, 2022, 04:21:27 PM
I believe both Brown and Prukop are pending FA after this year. Who's gonna be brought is the next question.

ZC8 very good signing.

Prukop loves playing for the bombers and said a couple of weeks ago, he has finally found a home.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 18, 2022, 04:21:27 PM

In the future I can see Brown leaving for a chance to start but neither of them are really ready to be starting QB's yet, so hopefully they'll choose to stay for another year.

GOLDMEMBER

Awesome stuff!

I read on the other Brown is signed through next year. Pleas confirm?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 18, 2022, 05:42:11 PM
Awesome stuff!

I read somewhere Brown is signed through next year?

I haven't heard that yet but it's a reasonable expectation they will do that.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Horseman

If we could keep all three QB's that would be OUTSTANDING!!!!!

pjrocksmb

Boy o boy Bomber ball shall be a fun game to watch for a long time.

Did I miss the salary or can people speculate on that?

Agree to sign all three!!!

Knocker42

Jim Toth just announced $600 000 per year

Jesse

Quote from: Knocker42 on October 18, 2022, 07:35:43 PM

With 250k guaranteed in 2025.
My wife is amazing!

pjrocksmb

He is worth it but that's a lot of cake.

Sec223

Quote from: pjrocksmb on October 18, 2022, 08:21:33 PM
He is worth it but that's a lot of cake.

Someone will need to go. Willy ? Jeffcoat ? Bighill ? Big Stanley B ? Hopefully they don't need money for a legit kicker.

The Zipp

gotta keep Hardrick and Bryant for some of those three years for sure...otherwise we will be like Reilly and BC at the end...loads of $$ on a QB but no o-line.  Zach is incredible but even how good he is - no time = no production or hurt QB.

We had to do it and we had to pay him...

Jesse

Quote from: Sec223 on October 18, 2022, 08:35:04 PM
Someone will need to go. Willy ? Jeffcoat ? Bighill ? Big Stanley B ? Hopefully they don't need money for a legit kicker.

We're giving him a signing bonus under this year's cap.

I bet it cost us less going forward per year than we paid him this year, tbh.
My wife is amazing!

Pete

So if hes cut prior to the start of the third year of the contract is he still owed the $250,000 guarantee?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on October 18, 2022, 09:17:53 PM
So if hes cut prior to the start of the third year of the contract is he still owed the $250,000 guarantee?

Yah, but why would you worry about such a thing, do you think the Bombers will need to cut him within the next 3 years?

ModAdmin

In My Words | Zach Collaros - by Zach Collaros

Let me open by saying a day like this and signing a contract extension is huge for me and my family because of the stability and peace of mind it provides us for the next few years.

I'm so grateful and thankful for that.

When I first got here in October of '19 there was so much uncertainty. Everybody was worried about my health, but there was never an issue with my wife Nicole and I on that. I thought that if I did get an opportunity, I would play well.

But so many things must work out the right way for me to be in the position I'm in to sign this deal right now. And it's all about everybody else that's here. That's what I want to stress, and it's also why I'm uncomfortable sometimes with the attention that comes on a day like this. It's almost like I have Impostor Syndrome when I'm asked to speak about myself.

Obviously, keeping our team intact for the most part since 2019 has been huge in our success. Keeping the guys in front of me on the O-line intact - keeping Stan and Paddy and Yosh and Mikey and those guys, our receivers - has been big, too. It's Buck letting my creativity to be a part of the offence.

And with Wade and Kyle overseeing things and Osh steering the ship, it's been so educational for me from a big-picture standpoint - not just about football, but about life. It's just been so awesome.

There are a lot of layers as to why this has been such a good fit for me. It's more than just preparation. It's just so easy to come to work every day when you?re around a lot of people you love and have respect for and that goes for this entire building, not just the locker room. Everybody that loves to be here has found that.

Whenever I'm asked to give a talk or speak about football or about a personal accolade I?ve received it's about my teammates and the organization. Woody Hayes at Ohio State always used to say, 'You win with people.' I've said it a million times, but the people here have made it an easy fit for me. It's just a lot like the culture I grew up in - there's a respect and love for one another.

And having such a strong wife who is able and willing to move out here for six months and then move back to our home base for six months obviously plays a huge part. So, again, signing this contract extension is about way more than me.

I was thinking about story from my high school days that might explain why humility is so important to me.

I had so many outstanding mentors, teachers and coaches back then. And I can remember we had these shirts for training camps which read 'TEAM' across the chest and then 'me' below it in much smaller letters.......

And there is a lot more here on Zach Collaros.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

jdrattops

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 18, 2022, 09:28:22 PM

Let me open by saying a day like this and signing a contract extension is huge for me and my family because of the stability and peace of mind it provides us for the next few years.

When I first got here in October of '19 there was so much uncertainty. Everybody was worried about my health, but there was never an issue with my wife Nicole and I on that. I thought that if I did get an opportunity, I would play well.

But so many things must work out the right way for me to be in the position I'm in to sign this deal right now. And it's all about everybody else that's here. That's what I want to stress, and it's also why I'm uncomfortable sometimes with the attention that comes on a day like this. It's almost like I have Impostor Syndrome when I'm asked to speak about myself.

Obviously, keeping our team intact for the most part since 2019 has been huge in our success. Keeping the guys in front of me on the O-line intact - keeping Stan and Paddy and Yosh and Mikey and those guys, our receivers - has been big, too. It's Buck letting my creativity to be a part of the offence.

And with Wade and Kyle overseeing things and Osh steering the ship, it's been so educational for me from a big-picture standpoint - not just about football, but about life. It's just been so awesome.

There are a lot of layers as to why this has been such a good fit for me. It's more than just preparation. It's just so easy to come to work every day when you?re around a lot of people you love and have respect for and that goes for this entire building, not just the locker room. Everybody that loves to be here has found that.

Whenever I'm asked to give a talk or speak about football or about a personal accolade I?ve received it's about my teammates and the organization. Woody Hayes at Ohio State always used to say, 'You win with people.' I've said it a million times, but the people here have made it an easy fit for me. It's just a lot like the culture I grew up in - there's a respect and love for one another.

And having such a strong wife who is able and willing to move out here for six months and then move back to our home base for six months obviously plays a huge part. So, again, signing this contract extension is about way more than me.

I was thinking about story from my high school days that might explain why humility is so important to me.

I had so many outstanding mentors, teachers and coaches back then. And I can remember we had these shirts for training camps which read 'TEAM' across the chest and then 'me' below it in much smaller letters.......

F'in love this guy!! 

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on October 18, 2022, 09:17:53 PM

Yes, under the new agreement, you are guaranteed 50% of your contract.

Pigskin

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 18, 2022, 09:28:22 PM

Sounds like there could be a few more signing in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping ND10 is one of them.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on October 18, 2022, 11:22:38 PM
Sounds like there could be a few more signing in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping ND10 is one of them.

Not worried about Nic at all.
My wife is amazing!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Sec223 on October 18, 2022, 08:35:04 PM
Excuse me legit kicker? We have one and he's all Leggs.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Knocker42 on October 18, 2022, 07:35:43 PM

Ouch.  That will make him the highest paid $$ QB in the CFL, no??

And he'll be 37 in his last year.  That is Mike Reilly age right there.

But, all said and done, I'm fine with this because he should be good for a legit GC run this year, and winning a lot of games in '23.  If he barfs in '24-'25 I'll be cool with that if in the end we have 3 (or 4!) GC's from his tenure.

If you average out everything we paid for QBs (including Nichols) in '19 thru '25 it actually still comes out to reasonable money.  Do the math on $ per cup -- worth it.  Plus, locking him in at $600k now with real inflation easily north of 10% a year, means that in 2022 dollars his 2025 salary might be a steal.  (And the CFL will have to increase caps anyhow to keep up with CPI or there will be player revolt.)

In the CFL, stability/consistency/cohesion wins games.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 19, 2022, 12:03:08 AM
Ouch.  That will make him the highest paid $$ QB in the CFL, no??

And he'll be 37 in his last year.  That is Mike Reilly age right there.

Zach has been the highest paid CFL player this year and will probably remain so next year.

GOLDMEMBER

Yup hard not to love the guy and his loyalty!

TecnoGenius

Smart move by KW to sign Zach long-term before he wins a 3rd GC for us (*)... Imagine what he'd be worth in FA after that 3rd cup!

* allegedly!   ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

John Lu
@JohnLuTSNWpg
#BlueBombers GM Kyle Walters said Collaros' negotiations began during the first bye week. Collaros locking in with new CFL guaranteed contract provision should lead to Winnipeg signing "more names after the Grey Cup and into the new year," said Walters.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

BLUEBOMBER

I am concerned about the salary cap no doubt. Every player in the locker room deserves more money bit there really is a set pool of money to spread. One or two vets will probably need to go unless they love playing here so much that they are willing to keep their salaries the same or even take less.

TecnoGenius

With inflation and the CAD$ situation one would think the league will raise the cap more than previously expected next year; existing CBA be damned.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on October 19, 2022, 06:29:41 AM
I am concerned about the salary cap no doubt. Every player in the locker room deserves more money bit there really is a set pool of money to spread. One or two vets will probably need to go unless they love playing here so much that they are willing to keep their salaries the same or even take less.

I'm predicting they lose at least 4-6 starters this off-season to retirement, F.A. and the NFL. Schoen, Houston, Nichols and Dobson will possibly give the NFL a whirl given the opportunity.  Bryant, Thomas and possibly Bighill retire, Augustine moves on seeking more opportunity to play, and at least a couple of linemen from both sides of the ball are lost to better offers in F.A. or to play closer to home. Possibilities, Couture, Kona, Lawson, Sayles, BOLO, Agudosi, Rutledge, throw in a couple of spare Natl. DB's like Thompson or Kramdi that have shown well but haven't earned a starters spot.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 19, 2022, 04:46:39 PM
I'm predicting they lose at least 4-6 starters this off-season to retirement, F.A. and the NFL. Schoen, Houston, Nichols and Dobson will possibly give the NFL a whirl given the opportunity.  Bryant, Thomas and possibly Bighill retire, Augustine moves on seeking more opportunity to play, and at least a couple of linemen from both sides of the ball are lost to better offers in F.A. or to play closer to home. Possibilities, Couture, Kona, Lawson, Sayles, BOLO, Agudosi, Rutledge, throw in a couple of spare Natl. DB's like Thompson or Kramdi that have shown well but haven't earned a starters spot.

That's a long, long list, and I think Walters is a far better GM than one who would let that level of defection happen.

Yes, every player that is facing FA can end up signing elsewhere.  But cashing playoff cheques is fresh in the mind when looking at your future.  And those can be a substantial incentive to hang on a possible dynastic team with its multi-MOP QB already under contract.  And if WJ5 re-signs (as is rumoured to be in negotiations), then even more likely players stay.

There are many players that left for the cash.  Harris, Lawler, Sayles, Lucky, even Darby... and I don't think any of them regretted the cash, but all seem to miss the team...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on October 19, 2022, 05:21:28 PM
That's a long, long list, and I think Walters is a far better GM than one who would let that level of defection happen.

Yes, every player that is facing FA can end up signing elsewhere.  But cashing playoff cheques is fresh in the mind when looking at your future.  And those can be a substantial incentive to hang on a possible dynastic team with its multi-MOP QB already under contract.  And if WJ5 re-signs (as is rumoured to be in negotiations), then even more likely players stay.

There are many players that left for the cash.  Harris, Lawler, Sayles, Lucky, even Darby... and I don't think any of them regretted the cash, but all seem to miss the team...

I'm just provide a list of possible losses, still willing to peg the losses at 4-6 players considering roster turnover of most teams is usually around 20-30% per season, as good as it now is, there will still be attrition.  Listen to Walters press conference yesterday, once players reach F.A. it's out of his control, that's why he's keen to lock up their core players early before meddling season begins.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 19, 2022, 06:23:02 PM
I'm just provide a list of possible losses, still willing to peg the losses at 4-6 players considering roster turnover of most teams is usually around 20-30% per season, as good as it now is, there will still be attrition.  Listen to Walters press conference yesterday, once players reach F.A. it's out of his control, that's why he's keen to lock up their core players early before meddling season begins.

10% would be 6 players, and I think that will be reasonable, depending on the cap for 2023.

Zach has definitely eaten up a lot of cap, and WJ5 will as well.  We may lose a few to NFL tryouts, not sure what happens when/if they return, contract wise.

Regardless what the losses are, I have faith in our scouts to have replacements ready to step in.  And for our coaches to get them to speed.

Pigskin

JA27 signed a two-year deal so unless we trade him, he is going nowhere. Houston and Nichols both gave the NFL a shot and didn't make it. Dobson just isn't good enough at this point. Kolski is also under contract for next year.

GOLDMEMBER

Nichols is going on 28. He is passed expiry date for NFL. Houston not healthy enough to get a chance. Not enough real game tape.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 19, 2022, 11:06:43 PM
Nichols is going on 28. He is passed expiry date for NFL. Houston not healthy enough to get a chance. Not enough real game tape.

Speaking of Nichols, when are the Bombers going to finally sign Matt and allow him to retire as a Bomber?  It would have been perfect to do it at their final home game with a big crowd in attendance.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 20, 2022, 01:14:38 AM
Speaking of Nichols, when are the Bombers going to finally sign Matt and allow him to retire as a Bomber?  It would have been perfect to do it at their final home game with a big crowd in attendance.

This is so perfect an idea.  This this this.  Love this.  The whole franchise turnaround basically started with 3 players: Nichols and Bighill and Andrew33.

But if it wasn't already in the works, not sure there's enough time to get it done.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Nichols just left! It will get done soon enough I am sure.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 20, 2022, 03:32:04 AM
Nichols just left! It will get done soon enough I am sure.

Ya, but he officially announced his retirement a couple of months ago.  It would look best if done in the same year as his announcement.  Wait too long and (more) people will be like "meh".
Never go full Rider!

Sec227

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 19, 2022, 12:42:25 AM
Zach has been the highest paid CFL player this year and will probably remain so next year.

Riders Give Bo 601,000, LOL. Why, because he will want to be the highest paid Player. 2 Grey Cups, 2 MOP's in his career.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 20, 2022, 07:09:49 AM
Ya, but he officially announced his retirement a couple of months ago.  It would look best if done in the same year as his announcement.  Wait too long and (more) people will be like "meh".

Exactly and it would be nice to get it done while the majority of players he played with are still here.

Jesse

SJ Green is just doing it now and he hasn't played in three years.

But it's honestly just a song and dance and to do it with Matt would feel a little forced. Didn't see the success we're seeing now until he got injured and we're still playing with the guy who replaced him.

So...maybe one day but not right now?
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on October 20, 2022, 06:52:43 PM
Didn't see the success we're seeing now until he got injured and we're still playing with the guy who replaced him.

Playoff success, you mean.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on October 20, 2022, 06:52:43 PM
SJ Green is just doing it now and he hasn't played in three years.

But it's honestly just a song and dance and to do it with Matt would feel a little forced. Didn't see the success we're seeing now until he got injured and we're still playing with the guy who replaced him.

So...maybe one day but not right now?

This is the problem with delaying it, some people already forget how big a part of the 2019 team Nichols was, without his 10 wins Collaros and the rest of the team don't make the playoffs. Plus he saved O'Shea's job back in 2016 when he took over from Drew Willy and turned a a 1-4 start, into an 11-7 season.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 20, 2022, 07:21:58 PM
Playoff success, you mean.

Don't recall getting 14 wins with Nichols (last year being a similar win % in a shorter season).
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on October 20, 2022, 11:20:50 PM
Don't recall getting 14 wins with Nichols (last year being a similar win % in a shorter season).

We're not suggesting Nichols be nominated for the Ring of Honour, we're just looking for the team to step up and honour his contribution to their current success by allowing him to retire as a Bomber.  Is that asking too much?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 21, 2022, 02:35:46 AM
We're not suggesting Nichols be nominated for the Ring of Honour, we're just looking for the team to step up and honour his contribution to their current success by allowing him to retire as a Bomber.  Is that asking too much?

Yes, he's no AH33 for WFC-importance, but Nichols was pivotal in turning the under-.500 team into a regular winner.  Before Zach ever arrived we already expected WPG to win at IGF nearly every game.  I still contend we win the '19 GC with Nichols, with only the WDF a difficult win for him.

Life kind of screwed over Nichols in '19.  He got a bad break at the worst time.  I feel sorry for him and will always wonder what could have been.  Zach is clearly better, but Nichols was more than enough to keep this team winning.  I bet fans like in SSK and OTT would kill to have a 2018-2019 Nichols as their QB right now!
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 21, 2022, 02:35:46 AM

I was responding to BG84 who suggested the only difference was play-off success - but that's simply not true.

I also think it's awkward timing, given that his replacement is still here - being much better. It might be better to put some time in before you bring Matt back.

I also am indifferent to most one-day contracts. If it means something to Matt and the club they'll make it happen. Otherwise...meh.

My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on October 21, 2022, 12:05:12 PM
I was responding to BG84 who suggested the only difference was play-off success - but that's simply not true.

I also think it's awkward timing, given that his replacement is still here - being much better. It might be better to put some time in before you bring Matt back.

I also am indifferent to most one-day contracts. If it means something to Matt and the club they'll make it happen. Otherwise...meh.

Stared perfectly. This all the way ^

Sec227

Quote from: theaardvark on October 19, 2022, 07:35:56 PM
10% would be 6 players, and I think that will be reasonable, depending on the cap for 2023.

Zach has definitely eaten up a lot of cap, and WJ5 will as well.  We may lose a few to NFL tryouts, not sure what happens when/if they return, contract wise.

Regardless what the losses are, I have faith in our scouts to have replacements ready to step in.  And for our coaches to get them to speed.

I even wonder..If they get their 3rd cup. How many vets will take a bit of "pay cut", to come here and actually compete for another one? Some guys have been on east teams for many years. Maybe the allure of playing for a championship team would sway them.

blue_gold_84

Not at all what I stated or suggested. During the regular season, the Bombers were still a very successful team from 2016 to 2019 with Nichols at the helm. Going 12-6 in 2017, for example (easily his best campagin). The playoff success since 2019 is the key difference, which is what I meant. We saw a concerted effort during that first run where all phases of the team played remarkably well and ended the drought.

Obviously, Collaros' resurgence as a top tier QB can't be understated, as evidenced by his sparkling record as starter the last two seasons.

What would be awkward about it?

Take it FWIW but Nichols reportedly reached out and tried to retire with the Bombers:  https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2022/aug/15/ex-eastern-washington-qb-matt-nichols-quietly-step/

Maybe it just wasn't viable this past summer but it'd be a nice gesture for him to sign that one-day contract and officially retire as a member of the WFC, considering his tenure and success he had here.

Perhaps next year.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 21, 2022, 04:07:12 PM
Not at all what I stated or suggested. During the regular season, the Bombers were still a very successful team from 2016 to 2019 with Nichols at the helm. Going 12-6 in 2017, for example (easily his best campagin). The playoff success since 2019 is the key difference, which is what I meant. We saw a concerted effort during that first run where all phases of the team played remarkably well and ended the drought.

I think I understand what you mean, I just disagree.

We were a good team under Nichols - he went approx. 37-19 (0.661) as a regular season starter for us.

We are a great team under Collaros - Who has gone approx. 31 - 3 (0.912) as a regular season starter.

So, in my opinion, the play off success is not they key difference. We're a completely different team. And I think that while we're in this current form, Nichols more represents the guy who couldn't do it, rather than the guy who brought us out of the basement.

If we bother to do it at all - which I could take or leave - I think it makes more sense to wait until this current iteration of the team has concluded.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

No issues with Nichols retiring a Bomber.  He had his bet years here, and the team supported him.

That's not a question / issue.

Does he get a ring of honour spot, or some such, I don't think his body of work warrants that.

Should he get a "Thank you" night next year, sure... he signs his one day deal, and retires a Bpmber that night, I have no issue at all with that scenario.  Could even do it preseason and give him a snap or two...