Collaros extended through 2025

Started by BlueInCgy, October 18, 2022, 12:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjrocksmb

He is worth it but that's a lot of cake.

Sec223

Quote from: pjrocksmb on October 18, 2022, 08:21:33 PM
He is worth it but that's a lot of cake.

Someone will need to go. Willy ? Jeffcoat ? Bighill ? Big Stanley B ? Hopefully they don't need money for a legit kicker.

The Zipp

gotta keep Hardrick and Bryant for some of those three years for sure...otherwise we will be like Reilly and BC at the end...loads of $$ on a QB but no o-line.  Zach is incredible but even how good he is - no time = no production or hurt QB.

We had to do it and we had to pay him...

Jesse

Quote from: Sec223 on October 18, 2022, 08:35:04 PM
Someone will need to go. Willy ? Jeffcoat ? Bighill ? Big Stanley B ? Hopefully they don't need money for a legit kicker.

We're giving him a signing bonus under this year's cap.

I bet it cost us less going forward per year than we paid him this year, tbh.
My wife is amazing!

Pete

So if hes cut prior to the start of the third year of the contract is he still owed the $250,000 guarantee?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on October 18, 2022, 09:17:53 PM
So if hes cut prior to the start of the third year of the contract is he still owed the $250,000 guarantee?

Yah, but why would you worry about such a thing, do you think the Bombers will need to cut him within the next 3 years?

ModAdmin

In My Words | Zach Collaros - by Zach Collaros

Let me open by saying a day like this and signing a contract extension is huge for me and my family because of the stability and peace of mind it provides us for the next few years.

I'm so grateful and thankful for that.

When I first got here in October of '19 there was so much uncertainty. Everybody was worried about my health, but there was never an issue with my wife Nicole and I on that. I thought that if I did get an opportunity, I would play well.

But so many things must work out the right way for me to be in the position I'm in to sign this deal right now. And it's all about everybody else that's here. That's what I want to stress, and it's also why I'm uncomfortable sometimes with the attention that comes on a day like this. It's almost like I have Impostor Syndrome when I'm asked to speak about myself.

Obviously, keeping our team intact for the most part since 2019 has been huge in our success. Keeping the guys in front of me on the O-line intact - keeping Stan and Paddy and Yosh and Mikey and those guys, our receivers - has been big, too. It's Buck letting my creativity to be a part of the offence.

And with Wade and Kyle overseeing things and Osh steering the ship, it's been so educational for me from a big-picture standpoint - not just about football, but about life. It's just been so awesome.

There are a lot of layers as to why this has been such a good fit for me. It's more than just preparation. It's just so easy to come to work every day when you?re around a lot of people you love and have respect for and that goes for this entire building, not just the locker room. Everybody that loves to be here has found that.

Whenever I'm asked to give a talk or speak about football or about a personal accolade I?ve received it's about my teammates and the organization. Woody Hayes at Ohio State always used to say, 'You win with people.' I've said it a million times, but the people here have made it an easy fit for me. It's just a lot like the culture I grew up in - there's a respect and love for one another.

And having such a strong wife who is able and willing to move out here for six months and then move back to our home base for six months obviously plays a huge part. So, again, signing this contract extension is about way more than me.

I was thinking about story from my high school days that might explain why humility is so important to me.

I had so many outstanding mentors, teachers and coaches back then. And I can remember we had these shirts for training camps which read 'TEAM' across the chest and then 'me' below it in much smaller letters.......

And there is a lot more here on Zach Collaros.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

jdrattops

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 18, 2022, 09:28:22 PM

Let me open by saying a day like this and signing a contract extension is huge for me and my family because of the stability and peace of mind it provides us for the next few years.

When I first got here in October of '19 there was so much uncertainty. Everybody was worried about my health, but there was never an issue with my wife Nicole and I on that. I thought that if I did get an opportunity, I would play well.

But so many things must work out the right way for me to be in the position I'm in to sign this deal right now. And it's all about everybody else that's here. That's what I want to stress, and it's also why I'm uncomfortable sometimes with the attention that comes on a day like this. It's almost like I have Impostor Syndrome when I'm asked to speak about myself.

Obviously, keeping our team intact for the most part since 2019 has been huge in our success. Keeping the guys in front of me on the O-line intact - keeping Stan and Paddy and Yosh and Mikey and those guys, our receivers - has been big, too. It's Buck letting my creativity to be a part of the offence.

And with Wade and Kyle overseeing things and Osh steering the ship, it's been so educational for me from a big-picture standpoint - not just about football, but about life. It's just been so awesome.

There are a lot of layers as to why this has been such a good fit for me. It's more than just preparation. It's just so easy to come to work every day when you?re around a lot of people you love and have respect for and that goes for this entire building, not just the locker room. Everybody that loves to be here has found that.

Whenever I'm asked to give a talk or speak about football or about a personal accolade I?ve received it's about my teammates and the organization. Woody Hayes at Ohio State always used to say, 'You win with people.' I've said it a million times, but the people here have made it an easy fit for me. It's just a lot like the culture I grew up in - there's a respect and love for one another.

And having such a strong wife who is able and willing to move out here for six months and then move back to our home base for six months obviously plays a huge part. So, again, signing this contract extension is about way more than me.

I was thinking about story from my high school days that might explain why humility is so important to me.

I had so many outstanding mentors, teachers and coaches back then. And I can remember we had these shirts for training camps which read 'TEAM' across the chest and then 'me' below it in much smaller letters.......

F'in love this guy!! 

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on October 18, 2022, 09:17:53 PM

Yes, under the new agreement, you are guaranteed 50% of your contract.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 18, 2022, 09:28:22 PM

Sounds like there could be a few more signing in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping ND10 is one of them.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on October 18, 2022, 11:22:38 PM
Sounds like there could be a few more signing in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping ND10 is one of them.

Not worried about Nic at all.
My wife is amazing!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Sec223 on October 18, 2022, 08:35:04 PM
Excuse me legit kicker? We have one and he's all Leggs.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Knocker42 on October 18, 2022, 07:35:43 PM
Jim Toth just announced $600 000 per year

Ouch.  That will make him the highest paid $$ QB in the CFL, no??

And he'll be 37 in his last year.  That is Mike Reilly age right there.

But, all said and done, I'm fine with this because he should be good for a legit GC run this year, and winning a lot of games in '23.  If he barfs in '24-'25 I'll be cool with that if in the end we have 3 (or 4!) GC's from his tenure.

If you average out everything we paid for QBs (including Nichols) in '19 thru '25 it actually still comes out to reasonable money.  Do the math on $ per cup -- worth it.  Plus, locking him in at $600k now with real inflation easily north of 10% a year, means that in 2022 dollars his 2025 salary might be a steal.  (And the CFL will have to increase caps anyhow to keep up with CPI or there will be player revolt.)

In the CFL, stability/consistency/cohesion wins games.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 19, 2022, 12:03:08 AM
Ouch.  That will make him the highest paid $$ QB in the CFL, no??

And he'll be 37 in his last year.  That is Mike Reilly age right there.

Zach has been the highest paid CFL player this year and will probably remain so next year.

GOLDMEMBER

Yup hard not to love the guy and his loyalty!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!