Adams Jr. Traded to BC

Started by pjrocksmb, September 01, 2022, 12:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 01, 2022, 03:05:52 PM
I thought it was in the $250K range? Some might have been paid in advance as a signing bonus so what the impact turns out to be IDK. Regardless the Lions will deal with that. They do have some players that would have been bigger SMS hits that have been on the 6 game IR since TC: Richardson, Baron and Knevel to name a few.

EDIT: Note that Adams is still on 6 game IR. Not technically eligible to come off without an SMS hit. So he may not play in their next game ( game 11 ) but return for game 12. That would be for only 7 games. Small point.

Yes, but there is a difference between Rourke at $85K and Adams at 250K. Also Adams is an American and Rourke who is Canadian. That luxury of having Rourke is now gone.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 01, 2022, 05:12:02 PM
Yes, but there is a difference between Rourke at $85K and Adams at 250K. Also Adams is an American and Rourke who is Canadian. That luxury of having Rourke is now gone.

I already said that. Rourke at $5K per game Adams at $10K per game for 7 games. That's only $35K -$40K more to squeeze into the SMS. The players that ended up on the 6 game IR for the entire season that I mentioned were " budgeted " into the 2022 SMS and now excluded. I don't see any new costs after TC that would have had significant additional spend. Just the usual activity of players going onto or off 1 game IR mostly.

So it's not a matter of the difference between $85K and $250K.

In an earlier post I mentioned Adams will have an impact on their ratio. Some Lions fans feel / worry it will mean taking Butler or Norman off the roster as a starter. That's something that will need to be determined.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 01, 2022, 05:18:01 PM
I already said that. Rourke at $5K per game Adams at $10K per game for 7 games. That's only $35K -$40K more to squeeze into the SMS. The players that ended up on the 6 game IR for the entire season that I mentioned were " budgeted " into the 2022 SMS and now excluded. I don't see any new costs after TC that would have had significant additional spend. Just the usual activity of players going onto or off 1 game IR mostly.

So it's not a matter of the difference between $85K and $250K.

In an earlier post I mentioned Adams will have an impact on their ratio. Some Lions fans feel / worry it will mean taking Butler or Norman off the roster as a starter. That's something that will need to be determined.

I see the cap hit closer to $63/64K.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 01, 2022, 05:52:09 PM
I see the cap hit closer to $63/64K.

It depends on how soon they activate him which is a TBD. He won't know the play book for a few weeks, so they may not choose to rush him in as a starter. I don't know if either of us knows how much Rourke or Adams actually get paid.

Obviously the Lions traded to get him so they'll deal with any SMS issues, ratio and timing for him to start.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 01, 2022, 01:48:11 PM
Why? Bethel-Thompson is playing well enough to keep his job.
Agree
Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 01, 2022, 04:07:51 PM
You and trash comments: name a more insufferable duo.
Best to try to ignore if possible, I got sucked into battling posts like that a few weeks ago and realized it just brought more pain.  Enjoying the ignore method even though sometimes a reply or rebuttal is warranted

I like MBT (average vet QB) and think Adams might still pull it together

dd

Quote from: kkc60 on September 01, 2022, 04:46:20 PM
we will see how this trade goes, but it?s sad watching the Als go from an up and coming team to whatever this is
I just don't get Montreal's thinking here....they have a legit shot at winning the east, Harris goes down or struggles, they're done. Why wouldn't they have a strong bullpen going into the home stretch and make a run at things this year. A first round pick is hit and miss at the best of times in the CFL. Brutal move.

ModAdmin

just a word about trashy, unsupported negative comments.  The very best attack against those posts is to ignore them.  Nothing worse than a poster making an opinion that literally no one responds to.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

buckzumhoff

Take away Harris short passes and montreal is done with harris. Bad trade for montreal but looks like they never planned to use him. I thpught Harris was a tempoary starter but i guess montreal planned to use him all thw time

Waffler

I think it's either Maciocia thinks he is part of their discipline problem, as he sees it, or the new owners are dumping salary. They let him go pretty cheap and you don't need to pay draft picks until next year.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

LXTSN

Quote from: ModAdmin on September 02, 2022, 05:18:38 AM
just a word about trashy, unsupported negative comments.  The very best attack against those posts is to ignore them.  Nothing worse than a poster making an opinion that literally no one responds to.
Agreed. It can become a pride thing to get the last word in on a take, but it really doesn't matter at all lol

blue_gold_84

Quote from: LXTSN on September 02, 2022, 01:58:16 PM
Agreed. It can become a pride thing to get the last word in on a take, but it really doesn't matter at all lol

It sorta matters when it clogs up threads and provides no value to a discussion, though.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

theaardvark

VA3 has been at the center of more than a few issues relating to discipline, IIRC.  Maybe Machiocha has another QB in mind, and doesn't see VA3 as the future...  He knows that Harris is not long term... and clearing VA3's $SMS hit leaves him open to make other moves.

I get it, but I don't agree with trading away your best backup option, even for a late first rounder...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

LXTSN

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 02, 2022, 02:30:59 PM
It sorta matters when it clogs up threads and provides no value to a discussion, though.
I mean to say your pride shouldn't matter on the internet. If you know it's going nowhere and there's nothing left to put out then you are not going to change anyones minds. Just relax and move on to another thread

3rdand1.5

IMO, this was a poor move by Mtrl.

My reasoning is they have an honest shot at winning the East this year, at worst they will make the playoffs IMO with Harris starting, however they had a really nice luxury, VAJ, "injured" he could 6 game it, keep his salary off the books meaning he no negative affect on the SMS and IF something happened to Harris he could give them a chance. Now that luxury is only a distant memory.

IMO, this was a great move by BC

My reasoning is they have a chance at winning the West, or at least making the playoffs, With Rourke they had a good chance, without him that chance dropped significantly. They managed to go out and get the next best player they could in VAJ.

Overall I view this trade as a huge win for BC, I don't have a crystal ball to see how it works out, but my prediction is with VAJ running BC will continue to contend for 1st in the West with Wpg and CAL. Meanwhile my prediction is Harris will miss some time whether injury or performance related and it will cost Mtrl a chance at 1st with T.O really being the only competition.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Waffler on September 02, 2022, 01:38:53 PM
I think it's either Maciocia thinks he is part of their discipline problem, as he sees it, or the new owners are dumping salary. They let him go pretty cheap and you don't need to pay draft picks until next year.

I vote for the second reason, new people in charge of team financing see their largest salary expense not even playing, pretty obvious choice to move on from V.A..  The Als will go as far as fragile Trevor Harris can drag them before they peter out, nobody is going to be very shocked if they don't make it very far.

The fact that Gary Stern stepped away so quickly and no one stepped up to replace his leadership makes it look like the controlling owners want to dump the Als as quickly as possible and don't care at all about the team's immediate or long-term future.