27 (39.1%)
Low - can't miss 2 in a row like that, put him on short leash
15 (21.7%)
Zero -Look for a new place kicker now
10 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Tiger

Quote from: ModAdmin on September 05, 2022, 05:11:10 PM
Some players take longer to fully adjust to the pro game.  It takes patience and opportunity to develop as we know from experience.  Clearly the experts see a future for him.

True.  Never thought that would be the place for a kicker.  Like I have said for over a year, great numbers in college not sure what?s up.  I guess he is adjusting.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Blue In BC

Paredes and Castillo both missed some kicks today. I think Bede missed one yesterday?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 06, 2022, 12:05:03 AM
Paredes and Castillo both missed some kicks today. I think Bede missed one yesterday?
09-05
13   HAM   2   3   66.7

Waffler

I just read a great article on place kicking. Thought I'd share.  It does point out the need for specialized coaching among other things.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/31/magazine/justin-tucker-nfl-kicker.html
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TecnoGenius

Quote from: NewBlue on September 05, 2022, 09:39:01 PM
I wonder if those fans that wanted him cut (haven't seen a single one of you own up yet) are now wanting to sign him to a 50 year deal?
It would be a similar over reaction.

I was one who was very hard on him for not getting that MTL FG/rouge, but I already posted my new support for him.  However, I can't think of anyone who wanted him cut: that's a strawman to deflect what we were saying, which is that we were going to need better for the playoffs.  To be more precise: we wanted to keep Leggs to develop in-season and have a superstar money kicker helicoptered in for the playoffs (like '21).

I'm (now) fine with rolling with Leggs even into the playoffs.  I think his LDC performance takes a lot of pressure off of KW to find a rental.  Or maybe MOS was telling KW all along not to worry, Leggs would be good enough.

It's not that Leggs made a 55 yard FG: it's that he made his CFL career longest, in the hardest game in the season, in front of a sold out arch-enemy crowd, with no wind help, and nailed it down the middle with a few yards to spare.

Who would have ever guessed 3 weeks ago that Leggs would out-kick vet Lauther in a game?
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 08, 2022, 04:38:33 AM
I was one who was very hard on him for not getting that MTL FG/rouge, but I already posted my new support for him.  However, I can't think of anyone who wanted him cut: that's a strawman to deflect what we were saying, which is that we were going to need better for the playoffs.  To be more precise: we wanted to keep Leggs to develop in-season and have a superstar money kicker helicoptered in for the playoffs (like '21).

I'm (now) fine with rolling with Leggs even into the playoffs.  I think his LDC performance takes a lot of pressure off of KW to find a rental.  Or maybe MOS was telling KW all along not to worry, Leggs would be good enough.

It's not that Leggs made a 55 yard FG: it's that he made his CFL career longest, in the hardest game in the season, in front of a sold out arch-enemy crowd, with no wind help, and nailed it down the middle with a few yards to spare.

Who would have ever guessed 3 weeks ago that Leggs would out-kick vet Lauther in a game?

Look at the poll. There were a few that had zero confidence and wanted to get a new kicker immediately. Technically that doesn't suggest cutting him, but replacing him almost amounts to that direction.

IIRC there were some really negative comments including trading him away.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 08, 2022, 01:36:35 PM
Look at the poll. There were a few that had zero confidence and wanted to get a new kicker immediately. Technically that doesn't suggest cutting him, but replacing him almost amounts to that direction.

IIRC there were some really negative comments including trading him away.

Yes even last week after a perfect game against Calgary, there were some still wanting to sit Leggs down. Now it all good. But how long. God forbid he misses a kick.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Tee42

I agree, that is unfair for any player on any team.
Such unnecessary pressure.

Lincoln Locomotive

The fact that he is Canadian and performs all 3 of the kicking duties is huge.....his directional punting has been very good this season and his little deke move to avoid being blocked or tackled and still cranking out a 49 yard punt came at a time when we were 10 points down.    Instead of the Riders possibly scoring with great field position after the block...we had the Riders pinned at their 20 and really flipped the field on them.    His 55 yard GAME WINNING FG  was icing on the cake as he already punched one in from over 45 yards out and made all of his PATs.
He had a perfect game in the most hostile football environment possible and this bodes well for his overall confidence heading into the playoffs.....which are often closely contested games and often decided by a FG or less.   So he deserves a great round of applause for his latest outing and the Bomber fans should collectively rally around him for the remainder of the season.
I rest my case....
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Watched the game again the other day, and when the sure blocked punt play came up, I just giggled.  It was so fun to watch him sidestep and then still get off a nice punt, I can imagine the face of the Rider as he went flying by...

P/FG/KO in a NAT?  Yes, he is a keeper.  Sign him long term... he's worth Medlock money any day of the week...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

dizzycamper

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 08, 2022, 03:29:47 PM
The fact that he is Canadian and performs all 3 of the kicking duties is huge.....his directional punting has been very good this season and his little deke move to avoid being blocked or tackled and still cranking out a 49 yard punt came at a time when we were 10 points down.    Instead of the Riders possibly scoring with great field position after the block...we had the Riders pinned at their 20 and really flipped the field on them.    His 55 yard GAME WINNING FG  was icing on the cake as he already punched one in from over 45 yards out and made all of his PATs.
He had a perfect game in the most hostile football environment possible and this bodes well for his overall confidence heading into the playoffs.....which are often closely contested games and often decided by a FG or less.   So he deserves a great round of applause for his latest outing and the Bomber fans should collectively rally around him for the remainder of the season.
I rest my case....

Very well said/written, Lincoln...

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on September 08, 2022, 04:22:11 PM
Watched the game again the other day, and when the sure blocked punt play came up, I just giggled.  It was so fun to watch him sidestep and then still get off a nice punt, I can imagine the face of the Rider as he went flying by...

P/FG/KO in a NAT?  Yes, he is a keeper.  Sign him long term... he's worth Medlock money any day of the week...

Not sure he's worth Medlock money yet. Let's give him some more time to grow, before we put that kind of pressure on him.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Leggs showed great poise and resilience in the Banjo Bowl after missing that first PAT.  I thought he might lose it mentally again and be ruined the rest of the game, but he bounced back very quickly and made all the other attempts!

This is very promising for a developing kicker.
Never go full Rider!

northof30

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 13, 2022, 05:38:01 AM
Leggs showed great poise and resilience in the Banjo Bowl after missing that first PAT.  I thought he might lose it mentally again and be ruined the rest of the game, but he bounced back very quickly and made all the other attempts!

This is very promising for a developing kicker.

I agree. He bounced back in a very positive manner following the Montreal loss and deserves our support. There is still a lingering element of inconsistency that seems to crop up at unexpected times such as shorter field goals or PAT's so hopefully that doesn't hurt us in the playoffs.