BC Lions / Nathan Rourke discussion

Started by Austin85, June 26, 2022, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on November 16, 2022, 03:43:17 PM
I don't think Rourke accepts a practice roster spot, the maximum he would get I believe is around $350k . If I was BC I would offer him 3 yrs at $600k ..He's that important to their franchise and in fact the CFL

Players don't know whether they've made the roster until final cut down day. At that point he'll have missed the 1st 3rd of the CFL season. The rule on what players might get offered on an NFL PR is not something I know about. Technically any player can be one injury from being activated to game day roster.

There is still some question whether the CBA allows a Canadian player on an ELC to sign an extension etc. Assuming that can be done, I think $600K is excessive and any new contract would have progressive increased over the duration.

He's shown great talent but does he deserve to be the highest paid player in the league after 1/2 a season?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on November 16, 2022, 03:43:17 PM
I don't think Rourke accepts a practice roster spot, the maximum he would get I believe is around $350k . If I was BC I would offer him 3 yrs at $600k ..He's that important to their franchise and in fact the CFL

He's just stepped on the NFL Merry-go-round and he won't be coming back anytime soon, with so many interested teams.  He's a young unencumbered guy who lives and breaths football on another level, he's not going to short-change his potential based on on a limited financial offer when he sees no ceiling in sight, he has no reason not to bet all in on himself.

theaardvark

20 teams interested, and if you've seen any NFL this year, QB talent is thin...

Rourke has a few tools that lend themselves to NFL ball.  If he can get the reads quick, his release and arm strength is enough to get him a leit roster spot. one hit from starting.

We may see him back eventually, but if I am BC, I'm not factoring him into 2023 with any certainty.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on November 16, 2022, 04:21:06 PM
20 teams interested, and if you've seen any NFL this year, QB talent is thin...

Rourke has a few tools that lend themselves to NFL ball.  If he can get the reads quick, his release and arm strength is enough to get him a leit roster spot. one hit from starting.

We may see him back eventually, but if I am BC, I'm not factoring him into 2023 with any certainty.

If the Lions can't sign BLM as an instant fix they better get after Dane Evans lickity-split, he has the physical tools to make it work, but requires mental repairs to get the job done.  Plenty of shrinks available on the West Coast.

Waffler

He's getting an NFL offer. The only question is what the best offer will be.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

ModAdmin

Whether it is tears, frustration, anger, joy or disappointment, it is emotion.  Every player has it and reacts in their own way to different situations.  If you don't have it you are indifferent and shouldn't be in competitive sports.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on November 16, 2022, 03:25:45 PM
You can show emotions without blubbering... I'd prefer PO's rather than weeping.  Not MBT PO'd, but upset.

I'm not sure how many other QB's we'd tolerate weeping openly...

He can express his emotions however he pleases and it's not up to us to tolerate or not.

My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 16, 2022, 04:53:03 PM
Whether it is tears, frustration, anger, joy or disappointment, it is emotion.  Every player has it and reacts in their own way to different situations.  If you don't have it you are indifferent and shouldn't be in competitive sports.

Nice I like it. Well said Mod.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TBURGESS

I don't see Rourke back in the CFL next year. He's on his first contract after being drafted which limits the money that BC can give him as per the CBA.

Booch says $280K USD for PR, which is more than Rourke can get from the Lions.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

the paw

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 16, 2022, 05:46:06 PM
I don't see Rourke back in the CFL next year. He's on his first contract after being drafted which limits the money that BC can give him as per the CBA.

Booch says $280K USD for PR, which is more than Rourke can get from the Lions.

For a player with less than 2 seasons, the minimum is $207,000 which would apply to Rourke.

A player with 2 seasons or more gets the equivalent of at least $277k.

https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/2022/09/03/63131ada268e3e09408b45cb.html
grab grass 'n growl

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on November 16, 2022, 03:43:00 PM
If Collaros shed a tear, I would hope MOS would kick him to the curb immediately. We don't need a bunch of babies on our team, right

Some short memories here. Richie Hall wept after the Bombers ended the drought three years ago and I can't recall anyone being so harsh about that display of emotions.

I guess it's different when it's one's own team - and thus, easier to be callous.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Throw Long Bannatyne

It sounds like Rourke wants to be on a roster and won't settle for the NFL P.R., so the Lions still have hope of bringing him back.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

https://www.bclions.com/2022/11/15/season-wrap-up-nathan-rourke/

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 16, 2022, 06:00:18 PM
Some short memories here. Richie Hall wept after the Bombers ended the drought three years ago and I can't recall anyone being so harsh about that display of emotions.

I guess it's different when it's one's own team - and thus, easier to be callous.

Tears of joy are one thing... Rourke was not weeping for joy...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on November 16, 2022, 09:48:23 PM

He also wasn't crying over his own loss, he was disappointed he let vets. like Burnham down, thinking they may never get another chance to play in a G.C.. Listen to the interview before you judge.

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on November 16, 2022, 09:48:23 PM

And this is one of the problems we have in the world right now. We still have a few Neanderthals wondering around. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.