Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbill2004

Quote from: theaardvark on February 28, 2018, 04:53:27 PM
So, we haven't won a game since getting Stasny / Morrow....  would we have fared better with Poolman in the lineup last night?
I'd say yes.  Morrow looked pretty bad. 

The Zipp

I think they honestly thought Toby was going to play...something must have changed and they rolled with Morrow.  Overall defence and goaltending were soft...and yah that puck in the neutral zone was a killer - I said to my son when Kuli backed off "Oh no they are going to score"....

I don't know enough about defensive schemes in hockey - maybe that was the right call to make under the circumstances but my gut tells me he should have gone after the puck instead of backing off.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on February 28, 2018, 05:05:53 PM
I'd say yes.  Morrow looked pretty bad. 

Eh, maybe. Myers and Kulikov had pretty terrible outings, so I doubt swapping a third pairing defenseman would've made a difference.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

Looks like Mason will go down to the Moose this weekend for a quick conditioning stint. Enstrom won't play tonight vs. the Red Wings.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

I love staying in on a Friday to watch Jets games. Should be fun.

Wanting revenge on a crappy Detroit team for killing us in December, and I'm also still crotchety for the way we lost to Nashville. I WANT BLOOD TONIGHT lol.
#Ride?

The Zipp

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 02, 2018, 01:23:56 PM
I love staying in on a Friday to watch Jets games. Should be fun.

Wanting revenge on a crappy Detroit team for killing us in December, and I'm also still crotchety for the way we lost to Nashville. I WANT BLOOD TONIGHT lol.

i agree...we need to destroy the Red Wings...Preds aren't losing much and Minnesota is nipping at our heels.

Sir Blue and Gold

I actually think it doesn't matter very much, especially with this new playoff seeding. If we finish first, we're almost guaranteed to play Nashville in the second round anyway (assuming we make it). If we finish second or third, it's looking like either way we play Minnesota. I suppose a game 7 home game is an advantage but statistically, it's not overwhelmingly so (60.7% home team wins game 7). The danger might be dropping to a wildcard spot but that's looking unlikely, if we did though, it's Vegas or Nashville. Nashville we'd just be getting one round earlier and Vegas would be a tougher initial matchup (compared to Minnesota) but would let us cross over to the Pacific and play a weaker second round opponent in either San Jose or LA than you would face in the Preds.

The Zipp

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on March 02, 2018, 03:04:25 PM
I actually think it doesn't matter very much, especially with this new playoff seeding. If we finish first, we're almost guaranteed to play Nashville in the second round anyway (assuming we make it). If we finish second or third, it's looking like either way we play Minnesota. I suppose a game 7 home game is an advantage but statistically, it's not overwhelmingly so (60.7% home team wins game 7). The danger might be dropping to a wildcard spot but that's looking unlikely, if we did though, it's Vegas or Nashville. Nashville we'd just be getting one round earlier and Vegas would be a tougher initial matchup (compared to Minnesota) but would let us cross over to the Pacific and play a weaker second round opponent in either San Jose or LA than you would face in the Preds.

For me I wouldn't want to face Nashville in round 1...that is prob worst case scenario (apart from missing the playoffs altogether)...personally i don't like the idea of facing the Ducks round 1 either - we don't seem to match up with them well and the 9:00 start times are killers (waaaah big baby that I am)

at some point we will probably have to face the Wild and Preds if we think a Cup run is doable...prefer to see them later than sooner as I think they will be  toughest teams.

and I will always want game 7 at home whenever possible.

Fun to be thinking about this stuff in March instead of "next year time" like some of the other Canadian teams are.

theaardvark

I hate facing teams coming off humiliating losses.  We always seem to get the rebound games where the players have just been embarrassed, and come back and play way over their heads.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on March 02, 2018, 04:21:11 PM
I hate facing teams coming off humiliating losses.  We always seem to get the rebound games where the players have just been embarrassed, and come back and play way over their heads.

IIRC, we got spanked by Detroit when we played them in December (5-1) after they lost 7-to-something vs the Habs the previous game. Ugh...
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 02, 2018, 04:21:11 PM

How is that relevant for tonight's game? ???

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 02, 2018, 06:30:11 PM
IIRC, we got spanked by Detroit when we played them in December (5-1) after they lost 7-to-something vs the Habs the previous game. Ugh...

The Jets were terrible in that game and the Red Wings took advantage. I think the home team will be fired up tonight, though.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 02, 2018, 08:45:22 PM
How is that relevant for tonight's game? ???

Sorry... thought it was Detroit that got pasted by San Jose last night...  but that was Chicago.  Case of Originalsixlexia
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Zipp

Two points - not a blowout but a win!!!  On the road now ...

True Blue

Quote from: The Zipp on March 03, 2018, 02:45:13 AM
Two points - not a blowout but a win!!!  On the road now ...

For six games.  Uggh.
"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." - Samuel Johnson

blue_or_die

Quote from: True Blue on March 03, 2018, 03:14:23 AM
For six games.  Uggh.

Would be nice to get 6+ points out of that, even if some of that comes from OT losses. Actually, I fully expect to win 4 of those 6 (or get points in most of those games).

Good win for the Jets. I wanted more of a thrashing but a win's a win, lol
#Ride?