Official Game Day Thread - Ottawa at Winnipeg, July 5, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 04, 2024, 05:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 08, 2024, 01:35:04 AMSure!  2Q6:01  Zach is the guy in the black tee with the white W to the left of Strev.  Sorry for the blurriness.

We get no replay or view of Demski or all-24 on this one, so we only have our memories at the game.  I thought Demski was decently covered, but he may have had a couple of yards on his guy, meaning if Strev could chuck a 50Y ball and hit him in stride he might have had it... that's a big if since we know Strev isn't Zach.

I do like the idea of Buck letting Strev take the free play on 2nd & 1.  We haven't done that all season.  Heck, I don't think we did that all last season either!

Ya, so when Strev doesn't take the shot Zach does the awkward "ah I was just stretching" hands clasped behind the head thing.  ;D  ;D

So the play worked exactly as it should have and Strev flubbed it, lol.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on July 08, 2024, 01:36:29 PMSo the play worked exactly as it should have and Strev flubbed it, lol.

If by "flub" you mean saw what the layout was and decided against throwing it, sure.  He was staring straight at it, and it was the only read... so something in his head must have said "no!".  Now, whether he was right or not, that's for all of us @PAS who had a quick 2 sec glance to try to work out...  So far it seems 2 think Demski was clear, I think he was somewhat covered.  Certainly he wasn't uncovered and miles away from the D...

Also, what is "open enough" to Zach might not be "open enough" to Strev... Zach probably trusts his receivers more.  Plus Zach doesn't mind taking INTs.  Strev may be cautious, especially when we all knew going into this game rule #1 must be "no turnovers".
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 09, 2024, 03:49:06 AMAlso, what is "open enough" to Zach might not be "open enough" to Strev...
When Zach is in the zone he is a terrific passer and can do it in the pocket, rolling right or left. Strev is an entirely different animal and that is why he compliments Zach so well. When either one of them is at their best they are extremely hard to defend.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 06, 2024, 03:41:25 AMI can't seem to get into the stats to take a look at the moment. I was curious how many running plays Bo had and how many Streveler had.

Go to gamezone.cfl.ca and sign up and use their stats (in the fantasy area).  They are updated in real-time and are extremely reliable.  If you click on a player's name you get the details, not just the fantasy points.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on July 06, 2024, 04:08:15 AMAnybody watching at home hear why we got 15 yards, and they only got 10 on those roughing penalties.

Clercius was holding onto his D guy in a blocking stance waaaay after the whistle, and kind of shaking him around.  General stuff we often see in the CFL.  (There was a replay after, and the live shot shows it clearly as well, as they are right near the ball/pile.)

Then the OTT guy takes a shot at his head.  Not a hard hit, but a push/brush on the helmet for sure.  Clercius never goes for the OTT head.

I think the refs got it backwards.  Even though Clercius was definitely the instigator, the head-swipe should get the 15.  Clercius wasn't being rough, he was being a douche.  The other guy was a bit "rough" only because of the head shot.

Clearly, and gamenotes should back this up, refs thought WPG did UR and OTT did OC.  Which is funny, because I think it was the other way around.  Surely command must have looked at it, though, to make sure it was done right?  I'm not sure I've ever seen an offsetting UR/OC like that where one was 10 the other 15.

Or maybe refs were biased and trying to help OTT out.  That was really OTT's last shot at a crumback.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 10, 2024, 10:52:09 AMOr maybe refs were biased and trying to help OTT out.  That was really OTT's last shot at a crumback.
Whichever it was I don't expect to get any help from the officials at any point this year. The Bombers have been perceived as a bully for a number of years now and in many minds it's payback time. For example, when we sufferd that rash of terrible injuries to many of our starters I heard little to no sympathy from anyone. The one case that deserves props is our game with BC. They handled themselves with some class and I'll give them credit for that.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on July 10, 2024, 10:15:24 PMWhichever it was I don't expect to get any help from the officials at any point this year.

Might depend on the ref unit.  I like how MOS kept his challenge in his pocket the entire game vs OTT.  You need to hang onto it until the 4th in order to keep all the refs honest.  The only way I'd challenge before the 4th is if it was so egregious and obvious that even the opponent team fans think it should be overturned.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Watching again and focusing on Strev's passing.  I just noticed he has an incredibly quick wind-up and release.  Like maybe faster than Rourke and VAJ: the fastest winders the CFL has seen recently.

Strev's whole motion is so unique and wacky that you might not always notice.  But watch how he does it.  See 1Q7:29.  I wouldn't say he has the most ball-zip or strength, but the whole throwing process is insanely fast.

Maybe it's because he doesn't really wind it far back like a traditional passer like Zach does?  Strev kind of just half-winds and lets 'er rip.

Anyhow, I point this out because fast-wind fast-release QBs seem to be much harder for CFL Ds to deal with.  It gives the DBs far less time to react to get in position: especially in zone.  If gives the FS far less time to figure out the direction to go.  The downside is it may be harder to be accurate, and super deep.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 11, 2024, 04:54:37 AMWatching again and focusing on Strev's passing.  I just noticed he has an incredibly quick wind-up and release.  Like maybe faster than Rourke and VAJ: the fastest winders the CFL has seen recently.

Strev's whole motion is so unique and wacky that you might not always notice.  But watch how he does it.  See 1Q7:29.  I wouldn't say he has the most ball-zip or strength, but the whole throwing process is insanely fast.

Maybe it's because he doesn't really wind it far back like a traditional passer like Zach does?  Strev kind of just half-winds and lets 'er rip.

Anyhow, I point this out because fast-wind fast-release QBs seem to be much harder for CFL Ds to deal with.  It gives the DBs far less time to react to get in position: especially in zone.  If gives the FS far less time to figure out the direction to go.  The downside is it may be harder to be accurate, and super deep.
Interesting observation. That could explain why he got flagged for throwing when he was past the LOS when he wasn't. I think it makes a running QB especially dangerous if they can run towards the LOS and quickly get the ball thrown before crossing. Osh should have challenged that.
Go Bombers!