Official Game Day Thread - Ottawa at Winnipeg, July 5, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 04, 2024, 05:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Let's start with the not-so-good news...

- Bombers are 0 and 4 to start the season,
- In addition to Miles Fox, Tyjaun Garbutt, Celestin Haba, Noah Hallett, Jake Kelly, Kenny Lawler, Cameron Lawson, Jamal Parker, Dalton Schoen and Keric Wheatfall being on the 6 game injury list,
- Evan Holm, Tui Eli, Jeremy Murphy and Zach Collaros are all Questionable for the Ottawa game.

The good news is...

- that if Chris Streveler has to start, he is probably more game ready than ever,
- Brady Oliviera as well,
- The Bombers, as a team, will be motivated to win this one at home and start a 2024 win streak.

It's as close to a "must win" game as we've been for a long time.

Ed Tait gives an overview in his 48 Hours Primer column which can be read here!

...Now, while the status of Collaros and whether he will make his 118th career CFL start and 52nd as a Blue Bomber is unknown, what's all but certain is rookie Kevens Clercius — the club's first pick in the 2024 CFL Draft — will run out of the tunnel for the first time in his young career as a starter.

A physically imposing 6-2, 217-pound target, Clercius came off the bench in Calgary following an injury to Jeremy Murphy and caught two passes for 27 yards and has seemingly taken positive steps each day since rookie camp.

"It'll be a special moment because it'll be my first start at a professional level," Clercius said Wednesday. "It's just a start for the future, but also a great thing for the people back home who supported me. Now they don't have to question if I'm going to make it. It's going to be a beautiful moment and I'm really excited for the opportunity. It's unfortunate somebody has gone down, but every time somebody goes down, somebody else has to come up and I've been working all week for that...

More details will be forthcoming and the game day discussion is open for comments here.

Let's go Bombers!!
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Stats Junkie

Twitter: @Stats_Junkie

I am a Stats Junkie, a Rules Junkie & a Canadian Football History Junkie!

TecnoGenius

Thanks both!

Weather note: showing risk of t.storms for Friday evening so far.  Let's see what the hourly forecast is once Thu evening rolls around.  I can handle rain and delay, but wouldn't want to see a lightning-aborted game.

Would rain help or hurt us?  I'm thinking it would really help us as with Brady/Strev maybe we can get a monster ground game going.  OTT is a pass-mostly team so far this year, and Dru is a mid/deep-loving QB... which tends to suffer in the rain.
Never go full Rider!

gobombersgo

Derek Taylor @DTonOB
Bombers list Zach Collaros as QB3 for Friday (thorax) with Chris Streveler as the starter.

RB Michael Chris-Ike & WR Myron Mitchell return to the roster. Bridges and Murphy to practice roster.

The Zipp

I don't think we see ZC tomorrow.  Hopefully it isn't something like a sternum issue or some internal organ problem.

Pigskin

Quote from: The Zipp on July 04, 2024, 02:55:29 PMI don't think we see ZC tomorrow.  Hopefully it isn't something like a sternum issue or some internal organ problem.

Let's hope. But, when you have a 325lb. man spear you in the chest at full speed???
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Sir Blue and Gold

Murphy, in his third year, continuing to get beat out by a draft pick who's played 4 games is probably a bad sign for him and/or a good sign for Clercius.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Dru Brown vs. Strev, putting my money on Brown to outshoot him unless the Bombers can create an unstoppable running attack. If Zach was starting I'd probably bet on him to overcome past difficulties and find a way to win.

Pigskin

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 04, 2024, 03:29:08 PMMurphy, in his third year, continuing to get beat out by a draft pick who's played 4 games is probably a bad sign for him and/or a good sign for Clercius.

I believe Murphy is injured and didn't practice this week.  Can't seem to stay healthy.

Blue In BC

With Murphy out they needed a receiver to back up and Mitchell has been around the longest. So that makes sense.

I do wonder if he gets rotated in at all and whether they might use Smith on offence in a few formations.

Need to change things up a bit.

At least Eli and Holm are able to play.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Wow feels like ages since GOLD MEMBER has been to a meaningful game! He was prospecting for gold in the black hills last couple weeks!

He wants to see a bloody win! Against anyone!

Buck needs to establish a good game plan to save his job/life! Lets perhaps scheme a bit better.

D keep doing what they've been doing.

Same with STs

Lastly lets cut down on penalties and stupid mistakes.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Time for Streveler to show he can be a decent passer. I don't expect him to throw for 350 yards but making few errors and playing a good game could be enough to win. I'm not yet that impressed with the Redblacks and we need to win this game.

Oliveria needs to get 100+ yards to help win LOS, TOP and field position.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Ottawa has a good front 7. There LBs made 27 DT last week. I am sure there going to keying on the run. Buck has to come up with a much better game plan for our O. Also, we can't turn the ball over. I  like where our teams are at right now. Time for Smith to return one.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on July 04, 2024, 04:52:54 PMOttawa has a good front 7. There LBs made 27 DT last week. I am sure there going to keying on the run. Buck has to come up with a much better game plan for our O. Also, we can't turn the ball over. I  like where our teams are at right now. Time for Smith to return one.

I don't think LB's making that many DT's is always a good thing. That would suggest past the DL into the 2nd level.  Griffith and Pickett had the most tackles form the WIL and SAM spots. More damage is usually done inside the OT's. Overall they gave up 400 yards of offence.

2019 Grey Cup Champions