Dalton Shoen

Started by bwiser, September 28, 2024, 05:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwiser

The Bombers receiving core seems pretty solid right now with Demski,Lawler Woli,Wilson and Wheatfall. Is it time to move on from Dalton Shoen and use that money elsewhere. Ford is going to need a large raise to keep him here and I can see a few other areas of need that will have to be addressed.

Blue In BC

Simple answer is no. It's way too early to determine changes to the 2025 roster. Free agency will result in changes to every team. What will ours be is a TBD.

At this point we aren't even sure D. Schoen will be ready for TC. However if he's healthy we try to negotiate a contract IMO.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

RebusRankin

No

Plenty of other spots where we can save $

Sir Blue and Gold

I think it is. Lawler, Demski, Wilson, Wheatfall, Clercius and probably one or two new guys they are high on is plenty for 2025. Not to mention Wolitarsky is still an option.

Schoen is an expensive luxury. Save the sms and spend it elsewhere, most likely the defensive end spot. Haba hasn't been very good this year. Willie is a year older. Garbutt has been good but not elite.

ichabod_crane

Does Shoen not have some guaranteed money for next year or was he only signed for this season? I seem to recall he signed a two year deal. If so he could be traded over the off season or early next season if the receiver ranks are fully stocked with the great new young guns.

Lawler FINALLY EARNED his money this past game, but over the season I've been a bit disappointed. Maybe he rolls forward well for the rest of this season hopefully.

Woli now banged up twice this season. He's a good BIG Canadian though with sure hands so don't think he is going anywhere.

or
Biggie could be done so that frees up some cap room for next season if he retires. Too many knicks the past two years unfortunately. He's nowhere near the same MLB as in his prime defensive MVP years anymore. Strevler and Kyrie Wilson's careers could be over too possibly.

Dolegala is useless as far as I am concerned. Showed NOTHING in Sask except to be a pylon. Another QB will be coming in next season to battle for the backup or short yardage QB spot. QB Wilson seems to have some great physical tools, but not much of a resume so far to know for sure. Maybe he will get some more reps if Bombers can wrap up first place in the next week or two.

dd

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 28, 2024, 06:27:37 PMI think it is. Lawler, Demski, Wilson, Wheatfall, Clercius and probably one or two new guys they are high on is plenty for 2025. Not to mention Wolitarsky is still an option.

Schoen is an expensive luxury. Save the sms and spend it elsewhere, most likely the defensive end spot. Haba hasn't been very good this year. Willie is a year older. Garbutt has been good but not elite.
Agree 100%. We have enough receiver talent, Newbies Wilson, Wheatfall and Clercius have proven more than worthy. I'd say we let him go an spend it on our D front end, another killer D end to replace Jeffcoat would be what I'd be aiming for.

TecnoGenius

Haha, the predominant feeling in FA / week 1 was Schoen was the keeper over Kenny!  Major recency bias on display right now!

My take is Kenny is probably better, but Schoen is younger.  They are different types of receiver.  Here's the problem: Wheatfall and Pokey are all Kenny-like Rs -- so now we have too many tall/fast/lanky types, when we really only need 1 or 2.

If we let Schoen walk, who is the beefier Schoen/Bailey clutch guy?  So R mix needs would dictate you keep Schoen and let Kenny (or Pokey or Wheatfall) walk.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Agree that this will all sort itself out after the season ends, in free agency.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on September 29, 2024, 06:05:40 AMAgree that this will all sort itself out after the season ends, in free agency.

Ya, it's an interesting convo, but I bet even KW doesn't know.  A lot will be dictated by what Schoen/Kenny ask for, and if they want to give us any breaks to stay.  Kenny has hinted he's done with FA wandering after his EDM debacle... There are a lot of Bombers who want to be B4L and get up on the ring of honor.

And a lot will be dictated by whether we make the cup or not again.  Make the cup again and there will be the usual FA poaching of some top stars.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

It's always an interesting and complex dynamic when you are a free agent.

On the one hand you may be playing with a Grey Cup contending team with great team mates, a great coaching staff, a locker room built on character and commitment to each other.

And then you get an offer from another team that exceeds anything you can acquire from the team you are with.

What do you do when your date of expiry is limited and your opportunities to maximize your earnings are right in front of you?

We are not in their shoes, but it must be a tough decision to make.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on September 29, 2024, 06:40:35 AMWhat do you do when your date of expiry is limited and your opportunities to maximize your earnings are right in front of you?

I get it when guys like Desjar and Yoshi leave for unimaginable, silly money.  But I don't get it when we lose guys we want to keep over 20% of less more money.  They can usually earn more staying here and getting the playoff money.

And how much value should players put on being winners vs losers, like Kenny found out playing for that horrifically bad EDM team.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

I don't think either player can asks for a raise, either from us or from other teams. The receiver market seems to have adjusted a bit as none of Geno, Lawler, or Schoen has earned their pay cheque in any of the seasons they've been paid 250+

My expectation is that both are back with the Bombers in 2025. Pre-season, my preference was to let Lawler walk and re-sign Schoen. And the rise of Wilson and Lawler being out again should have solidified that, but then Schoen goes and get a season ending injury.

So Schoen's health is a looming question that needs to be answered first.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on September 29, 2024, 02:10:30 PMI don't think either player can asks for a raise, either from us or from other teams. The receiver market seems to have adjusted a bit as none of Geno, Lawler, or Schoen has earned their pay cheque in any of the seasons they've been paid 250+

My expectation is that both are back with the Bombers in 2025. Pre-season, my preference was to let Lawler walk and re-sign Schoen. And the rise of Wilson and Lawler being out again should have solidified that, but then Schoen goes and get a season ending injury.

Interesting take! You could be right and one thing is for sure, we certainly will end up with a team full of talented receivers next year.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 29, 2024, 05:47:38 AMHaha, the predominant feeling in FA / week 1 was Schoen was the keeper over Kenny!  Major recency bias on display right now!

My take is Kenny is probably better, but Schoen is younger.  They are different types of receiver.  Here's the problem: Wheatfall and Pokey are all Kenny-like Rs -- so now we have too many tall/fast/lanky types, when we really only need 1 or 2.

If we let Schoen walk, who is the beefier Schoen/Bailey clutch guy?  So R mix needs would dictate you keep Schoen and let Kenny (or Pokey or Wheatfall) walk.

Speaking of body types, hurts to realize BOO was 6'-3" 227 lbs., sad he never got a fair chance to play in Wpg. because he has the bigger body size with speed they could use more of.

I still see Schoen as a workhorse type receiver who earns his keep game after game which in my mind is more valuable than the flashier Lawler type receiver that excels occasionally but not always. 

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on September 29, 2024, 02:10:30 PMI don't think either player can asks for a raise, either from us or from other teams. The receiver market seems to have adjusted a bit as none of Geno, Lawler, or Schoen has earned their pay cheque in any of the seasons they've been paid 250+

That's the catch. Who would have thought we'd lose Lawler for an extended time? Then Schoen with a season ending injury that early in the season. Later we see Woli miss time and with what could be a season ending injury.

I get the SMS question and where we might spend it elsewhere.

However we've been thin at receiver depth this season and suffered at times because of it. The preference would be to have Schoen and / or Woli still on the active AR. Using Whitehead as the returner / back up is ok, but it's a risk as well.

In game injury and rotation help keep everybody in better condition, in theory.

Now if Schoen and Woli were healthy next week ( not likely ) then Woli would replace Weitz as the extra Canadian choice.

An import would have to come off to get Schoen on the AR and I'd think that would be at the cost of Cole on the roster.

Obviously this isn't to suggest Cole on the AR is a bad thing. It's just to suggest we have very little depth on offence on our AR. All the DI's are on defence or ST's.

Of course we may recruit the next Lawler or Schoen in the off season but these are unknown factors. A current receiver could suffer an injury that recovery extends in mid 2025.

Evaluations will be made after the season and coming out of free agency.

I'm not doubting that Wilson and Wheatfall will continue to show well for the rest of the season. Perhaps even a PR receiver impresses the coaches.

At the moment I think we will re-sign Schoen.

2019 Grey Cup Champions