Other Games -- Weekend starting Jun 20

Started by TecnoGenius, June 20, 2024, 11:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on June 21, 2024, 11:10:42 PMWhy on earth was there no flag on that play?? And why can't command centre call down and call a penalty. To me, there was both targetting- a 25 yard and expulsion foul and a 10 yd misconduct penalty for jumping around and celebrating the dirty hit. Absolutely classless act.

It was a legal hit. The receiver was not in a defenceless position. IIRC Alexander made a similar hit this year.

It's not flag football. The CFL does not have a targeting rule and no penalty was assessed even after the review.

Seems pretty clear.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

It was a UR everyday of the week. I ve been a football official since 1987, done a few games, and know a foul when I see it. No doubt a fine comes out and if a players getting a fine, absolutely no doubt there should have been a foul called. It looks bush league after the fact the league has to fine a player for an offense a foul wasn't called. And if the hit wasn't so bad, why would he get a fine?? We ll see what happens

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on June 21, 2024, 11:35:54 PMIt was a UR everyday of the week. I ve been a football official since 1987, done a few games, and know a foul when I see it. No doubt a fine comes out and if a players getting a fine, absolutely no doubt there should have been a foul called. It looks bush league after the fact the league has to fine a player for an offense a foul wasn't called. And if the hit wasn't so bad, why would he get a fine?? We ll see what happens

No penalty was called by the CFL officials. That's fine with me.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

And that's the problem. Obvious hit to the head on a reciever who can't protect himself. That's a UR everyday of the week. So is the misconduct afterwards of parading around. There were 2 calls missed, but whatever, don't call anything, awesome job.

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on June 22, 2024, 01:54:28 AMAnd that's the problem. Obvious hit to the head on a reciever who can't protect himself. That's a UR everyday of the week. So is the misconduct afterwards of parading around. There were 2 calls missed, but whatever, don't call anything, awesome job.

He didn't lead with his head and he didn't strike the head. The receiver was a live target with the ball hit from the front.

There is no rule on how hard you can make a tackle as long as it's on time and no directed at the head.

Misconduct perhaps. He did his celebration on the way off the field not over the player.

Again, it would be impossible for the refs to miss a call in open field as that play developed.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 22, 2024, 03:43:08 AMHe didn't lead with his head and he didn't strike the head. The receiver was a live target with the ball hit from the front.

Ya, I did the ol' computer PVR slowmo stuff on the hit and it was "clean".  Also importantly, Acklin had and held onto the ball.  Refs will give even more leniency when the catch is made because the D is allowed to try to jar the ball loose.

However, Loffler and sometimes Alexander have taken UR for hits that were very similar.  However, their hits would usually make an in-air R fly a bit.  Acklin was grounded and so the hit wasn't as scary looking.  I think a lot of it has to do with how "bad" the optics are.  Begelton doing a midair 360 the other year is one with bad optics.  Hit was clean and not bad and we got a UR.

This call could have gone either way.  I really don't like how there's a subjective/writhing component to UR, but that's the way CFL officiates.

dd may think in his reffing it's a UR, but the CFL has been really consistent on what the line is, and this is close, but no worse than a 50/50.  If either player's head had been in it, or Acklin hadn't caught the ball, it probably would have been called.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 22, 2024, 03:43:08 AMHe didn't lead with his head and he didn't strike the head. The receiver was a live target with the ball hit from the front.

There is no rule on how hard you can make a tackle as long as it's on time and no directed at the head.

Misconduct perhaps. He did his celebration on the way off the field not over the player.

Again, it would be impossible for the refs to miss a call in open field as that play developed.

Nah, the league brought in a penalty for excessive force about 5 years ago and plenty of Safeties and LB's have been penalized for exerting excessive violence on a defenceless receiver. Demond Washington almost ended Fred Stamps playing career way back with a clean but vicious hit which he was penalized for. The CFL should not ignore that brain trauma is as often caused by body shocks and change of direction as direct headshots.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 22, 2024, 07:26:28 AMNah, the league brought in a penalty for excessive force about 5 years ago and plenty of Safeties and LB's have been penalized for exerting excessive violence on a defenceless receiver.

Ya, that's probably around the time normal Loffler hits started being called UR.  Should be called the Loffler rule.

However, the league for many years has been consistent on what gets called or not.  There is a big "grey area" up to the ref discretion.  This Sankey hit was in that grey area.  They didn't call it.  I'm fine with it, as long as the refs try to be consistent on the same type of hit.

If we call every hit like this UR then we are effectively outlawing trying to use well-timed big hits to disrupt the catch.  That takes away a component of the game.  Do it if you must, but make it explicit.  I'm not sure the league is ready for that, and I'm also not sure I'd like it.

I've noticed this season (more than most) a ton of receivers are taking a ton of damage from mega-big hits.  So many getting blown up, even when they whiff on the ball.  Begelton often looks like a punching bag out there: he's tough as nails, a lot like Schoen and Bailey even though he has a lankier body type.  The D's seem to have a big advantage so far.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Hey, check out the BC@WPG game tonight 3Q8:41.  Woli makes a turf-level catch and is still down, BC D guy comes in basically in a spear, leading with his helmet and he hits Woli in his helmet for classic H2H.  On a receiver already on the turf (but getting up slowly).  Woli's head gets lobbed into the turf at 100 MPH.

No call, not even a blink by the refs or command.  Woli bounced up instead of writhing.  Some writhing there would have probably drawn a flag.

They even give us a nice slowmo replay a few secs later.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 22, 2024, 07:26:28 AMNah, the league brought in a penalty for excessive force about 5 years ago and plenty of Safeties and LB's have been penalized for exerting excessive violence on a defenceless receiver. Demond Washington almost ended Fred Stamps playing career way back with a clean but vicious hit which he was penalized for. The CFL should not ignore that brain trauma is as often caused by body shocks and change of direction as direct headshots.

I'd argue that he wasn't a defenceless receiver ( Acklin ).  That's usually when a receiver has his hands reaching for the ball above him and not on the ground with the ball in his hands. Or when a receiver is cartwheeled with a low hit, and again not in possession of the ball.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

I see the Riders lost Blake to 6 game IR. The Argos lost 3 players including 2 to 6 game IR. Bombers lost 2 to 6 game IR and the Lions lost some bodies as well going into game 3.

Rough count is 54 players now on 6 game IR. Some may come off early, some may be done for the season. Transactions might not be completely up to date. However, that's an entire team of players just on 6 game IR.

Unfortunately there will be more injuries in the rest of the games this week.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 22, 2024, 09:52:35 AMHey, check out the BC@WPG game tonight 3Q8:41.  Woli makes a turf-level catch and is still down, BC D guy comes in basically in a spear, leading with his helmet and he hits Woli in his helmet for classic H2H.  On a receiver already on the turf (but getting up slowly).  Woli's head gets lobbed into the turf at 100 MPH.

No call, not even a blink by the refs or command.  Woli bounced up instead of writhing.  Some writhing there would have probably drawn a flag.

They even give us a nice slowmo replay a few secs later.

Noticed that hit too, the CFL has to get the message through to defenders that these hits are no longer acceptable and they will not allow any exceptions. The only way to do that is to penalize them for every transgression.

Blueforlife

Blueforlife

Blueforlife