Other Games -- Weekend starting Jun 20

Started by TecnoGenius, June 20, 2024, 11:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on June 23, 2024, 12:02:17 AMIt's sad to see Bailey and Grant plying their craft for the Argos.

They both look exactly as good as when they were here.  And Bailey is being targeted a heck of a lot more, more like a #2.  Grant clearly hasn't lost "it".  Too bad we didn't have the measly extra $25k or so each player would have required...

Brissett being out is a big loss for TOR and it screws up their ratio.  That hi/lo hit did not look good.  Bad luck.  Could be a 6G.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

TOR winning that DPI challenge is pretty nuts!  R gets jammed at the 20YL and the ball falls 15Y in the EZ!!  He stopped his route and was literally standing 35Y away from the potential catch point!

It is 100% IC, but you can't challenge IC.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a DPI called where the ball was 35Y away, and when the R stopped dead, and when another R was heading that way too and may have been the target and clearly couldn't reach the ball (meaning uncatchable and no DPI).

So command decided:
a) the ICd guy was the target
b) it was catchable (maybe he could have ran 35Y in that couple of secs, but who knows)
c) he was impeded (clearly, because it was uncalled IC)

This smacks of command covering their butts!  What should happen here, IMHO, is command calls IC on a DPI challenge.  But they may not be allowed to do that?  IC is cut & dried, DPI you have to make a ton of assumptions.  For instance, if the R had kept running and was 10Y away when the ball downs, do they then waive DPI because it's "uncatchable"; we've seen that before!

Don't like this precedent.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on June 23, 2024, 12:10:15 AMMan, Grant can absolutely fly out there and good to see bailey haul in his 2nd TD catch this year, that's 2 more than our entire team combined!!

LOL, touche.  Ouch.  Maybe Bailey is the smartest party in WFC vs Bailey!  :o
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Why oh why could we not have had Zach (or Strev) do that QB draw TD run Dukes did before halftime in the 2 times we were within 10Y of the EZ and we messed it up with useless passes?

Why can't we scheme what every other team does effortlessly?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Holy smokes, where's the crowd in TOR?  This may be even worse than 2022.  GC winners going into 2023 and they had a bit more fans, but now it's just abysmal.  What the heck, TOR?  The owners need to talk to BC to find out how to bribe people to show up with rappers!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Haha, at halftime EDM appears to have had a lobotomy when they don't try a 50Y FG... until I remembered TOR has Grant waiting in the EZ...  Them having Grant saved them 3 points against!

Anyone catch Bailey's interview going into halftime?  He's saying that straight to us in WPG.  He chose his words carefully.  And right at the end he does something weird: he makes a "call me" hand signal... now what on earth is that?  Is he hinting we need to call up TOR and make a trade?  Who else is he telling to call him after a speech like that?  Very strange, indeed.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 23, 2024, 01:04:37 AMElks make em pay

TOR getting a little too cute, doesn't fool old dog Purifoy.  That dude still has some speed!

Great TD by Mayala as his career has been on the downtrend.  That wasn't an easy catch.  TOR doing all the right things defensively, but EDM getting some execution.

(Why can't we do that??)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 23, 2024, 01:13:21 AMDukes looks good and Argos answer back.  Their three RBs are all very good.

Ya, but makes fantasy very very difficult.  So hard to pick any of them.

I always wonder why TOR insists on this multi-back scheme.  And not only 2, they often play all 3 in a non-trivial way.  No other team does this.  CGY toyed with it a bit, and still does, but not like TOR does.

In WPG it's always been that our RB gets better the more touches you give 'em.  We'll dress Johnny for 10 games and he won't see a touch until garbage time / injury.

The one thing you do see with TOR's multi-back scheme is that when the next guy comes in he sure has fresh & fast legs.

Aside: TOR was making me think they were CGY 4 years ago for a bit: Mayala and Sindani making plays together!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Mitchell was DBC in the 4th on the weird TD.  The proof is in one of the later angles right after possession was gained, D's left hand brushes the R's jersey at the shoulder pad.  The jersey tugs down a little bit, which would otherwise be 100% impossible unless touched.

But it was a heck of a lot closer a call than I at first thought!  Pretty good call by the on-field ref, even though he was wrong.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

That C.Jones challenge on DPI on Amos: that was a super close one.  Yes, contact 1/10th second early.  Yes, may have changed the hand position slightly by moving R's body.

BUT, D didn't "turn the receiver" at all.  No other cues to go on, just the above.

But my guess was no-call.  I was wrong.  Booth guys are right... this was so close that they usually "let them play".

In the past we've seen this exact same thing uncalled and un-overturned.  I'm actually pretty shocked at this one.  These early games set the precedent for the season... I get it, but now be consistent.

P.S. Earlier they said Dinwiddie has lost his last 9 challenges.  LOL.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 23, 2024, 02:11:04 AMExcellent ball game

Yup, that was a fun one.  Just like 2 of our games, it came down to who wanted to win more.  EDM still doesn't know how to win.  WPG has forgotten how to win.  TOR knows how to win.

Look what happens when 2 teams open up the playbooks.  Every other team is taking 10-20 deep shots a game, and completing many.  We take 2 deep shots if we're lucky, and have been missing more than half.

I don't mind the dink & dunk if the deep game is hopeless, but then we have to get 3 or 7 on nearly every single drive or we won't win against these chunk-play teams.

Oh ya, and Zach needs to work on that deep ball so we can get back to it.  It's like 2016 Matt Nichols all over again... everything working except the deep ball.  Took till 2018 for Matty to figure it out...
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Rooting for the TiCats today.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

Great game last night. 

Edmonton contacting the kicker killed them at the end. Instead of starting on the 30+ with a chance to go for the win, they start inside their 10 with a minute less on the clock. 

I think Edmonton is close if they can hang with Toronto. They could be fighting for the last playoff spot if they can figure out how to win close games. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on June 23, 2024, 02:52:09 PMGreat game last night.

Edmonton contacting the kicker killed them at the end. Instead of starting on the 30+ with a chance to go for the win, they start inside their 10 with a minute less on the clock.

I think Edmonton is close if they can hang with Toronto. They could be fighting for the last playoff spot if they can figure out how to win close games.

Edmonton will need a run of wins before I start to believe they're anything more than what they've been for several years now. It's more likely than not this is another wasted season for them and they fire everyone after the season.
My wife is amazing!

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 23, 2024, 06:23:46 AMThey both look exactly as good as when they were here.  And Bailey is being targeted a heck of a lot more, more like a #2.  Grant clearly hasn't lost "it".  Too bad we didn't have the measly extra $25k or so each player would have required...

Brissett being out is a big loss for TOR and it screws up their ratio.  That hi/lo hit did not look good.  Bad luck.  Could be a 6G.

Doesn't screw up their ratio at all.  Nield is the reason, they traded Gittens Jr.