It is gonna be a long year!

Started by Austin85, June 18, 2024, 03:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on June 21, 2024, 05:13:50 AMIn 2019 we weren't dominant....we signed Zach and went on a roll and like the Als who beat us in the last GC, we beat the highly touted TiCats and the next 3 seasons we WERE dominating.

But we were!  As Matt Nichols #1 biggest fan, I want to point out we were winning nearly every game, and putting up 35+ a lot, with tons of deep balls, before Matty got Lemonated to ruin his career.

It was only that stretch with Strevie starting that had us a .500 team.  Hence the Zach airlift.

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on June 21, 2024, 05:13:50 AMBrady will be in tough this year because his O-line won't be able to open holes you could drive a truck through....he will struggle to make a thousand yards.  It's all lost or won in the trenches and we are no where close to being there.

I actually have high hopes for Wallace.  He's a beast  They are putting him in on many jumbos, clearly see something in him, and I think he'll pick up his game pretty quickly.  He could pave the way (haha, pun) for a great run game.

Dobson also has the tools to really help in the run game, as that's basically all he did for us in 2023 as the 6th OL.

In fact, even though our OL was pretty garbage with the run so far, they were much worse in pass-pro.  Every stupid stunt was getting through, and no one could read MTL's trick DL show.  Solving those will actually be harder than run-block road-grading, IMHO.  I think we get the run game going sooner than we solve all our pass-pro woes.  The former is more a physicality/positioning issue, the latter is more a cerebral thing.  I don't think we're doing well on any cerebral thing at the moment...

And if any OL is consistently letting us down, bench him for a 3rd IMP for a few games!

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on June 21, 2024, 05:13:50 AMThat being said, we still have enough components on offence to win games IF everyone is healthy.  That's a mighty big IF yet it's still within the realm of possibility.

We totally are good enough to win games if we tweak the 1-2 weakest spots.  However, I think it'll take more than just getting the IR guys back...  Even if we're full strength / week 1 starters tomorrow, if we face MTL in the GC tomorrow, we lose that game.  Need all the desired starters, plus 1-2 upgrades!
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 21, 2024, 05:40:41 AMBut we were!  As Matt Nichols #1 biggest fan, I want to point out we were winning nearly every game, and putting up 35+ a lot, with tons of deep balls, before Matty got Lemonated to ruin his career.

It was only that stretch with Strevie starting that had us a .500 team.  Hence the Zach airlift.

I actually have high hopes for Wallace.  He's a beast  They are putting him in on many jumbos, clearly see something in him, and I think he'll pick up his game pretty quickly.  He could pave the way (haha, pun) for a great run game.

Dobson also has the tools to really help in the run game, as that's basically all he did for us in 2023 as the 6th OL.

In fact, even though our OL was pretty garbage with the run so far, they were much worse in pass-pro.  Every stupid stunt was getting through, and no one could read MTL's trick DL show.  Solving those will actually be harder than run-block road-grading, IMHO.  I think we get the run game going sooner than we solve all our pass-pro woes.  The former is more a physicality/positioning issue, the latter is more a cerebral thing.  I don't think we're doing well on any cerebral thing at the moment...

And if any OL is consistently letting us down, bench him for a 3rd IMP for a few games!

We totally are good enough to win games if we tweak the 1-2 weakest spots.  However, I think it'll take more than just getting the IR guys back...  Even if we're full strength / week 1 starters tomorrow, if we face MTL in the GC tomorrow, we lose that game.  Need all the desired starters, plus 1-2 upgrades!

Need to keep in mind, IMHO, the focus over the past couple of years is to retain players like Zach, Brady, Dalton, Evan, Stanley, Kenny, etc.  That is where money was spent.  These players have a successful history with the team and the team deemed it was important to keep them here.  Hypothetically, would you have been willing to let Schoen and Oliviera go to get "1-2 upgrades" elsewhere and at the same time hopefully attempt to replace both who are considered top players in the league?
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 21, 2024, 06:20:47 AMNeed to keep in mind, IMHO, the focus over the past couple of years is to retain players like Zach, Brady, Dalton, Evan, Stanley, Kenny, etc.  That is where money was spent.  These players have a successful history with the team and the team deemed it was important to keep them here.  Hypothetically, would you have been willing to let Schoen and Oliviera go to get "1-2 upgrades" elsewhere and at the same time hopefully attempt to replace both who are considered top players in the league?

Great point and great question!  I haven't yet spelled out my overall vision, or integrated all of my solutions.  I have thrown ideas out a bit haphazardly just to get people thinking.

I have been on board with the retention focus, just like many/most of us.  I'm as guilty of that as anyone.  You get attached to players.

If I'm on the spot, I'd say I'd have let Brady walk if he didn't take KW's offer.  The fact WM overrode KW is a big red flag to me that we overspent.  KW is very generous.  That would let us go cheaper with an IMP RB, as our 8-10 NAT ratio allows.  Almost every RB changed teams in FA: we could have been in on any of them.  Not only does this move allow us to save the $30k or whatever we gave Brady over KW's offer, but also saves us another $50k because IMP RBs are that much cheaper.  $80k is the difference maker to sign at least 2 vets over TC fodder... or keep that door open if/when the rookies prove weak.

Brady was an emotional retention, not a smart one.  It was more for game-day homer feelz, "a good story", and merch sales.  There was a decent chance he'd have signed here for KW's offer anyhow.  No one has that kind of SMS.  Don't get me wrong, I'm just as emotionally happy at the Brady re-sign too.  But the GM has to not be emotional.

Now that we're in-season, I'd ask the superstars to talk among themselves: do you want to give up a touch of salary so we can sign winners, or keep rolling with guys who didn't even make the PR... Can't hurt to ask.  Lay out the ideas and FA player names: show them the plan.

The used-to-winning vet WPG players are going to be extremely miserable all season if we lose a ton.  It won't be fun anymore.  And they hold the key.  If it was me I'd sure look at a KW get-better-quick plan...

I'd also focus on O first.  Find the weakest piece and put a vet there, whether LG, C or RT, or 5th WR (and now 4th WR).  Decide who is causing the most damage and fill the hole with a vet (some easier than others to pull off, of course).  Once O is scoring bigly again, then you slot in what you can at DL and DB.  Then when the IR guys come back not only are we back to week 1 "full strength", we're better!

And ya, all of this can be done for like $80-$120k SMS.  We really are "that close" -- we're not as sad as our standing/ranking shows.  If the Brady deal made it so that's $M$ still out of range, then WM/KW made their bed and we all get to lie in it.  Then we kneel down and pray the rookies are all-stars in disguise, because that's what it's going to take to win.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

I allow myself to get caught in the narrative that RBs aren't worth the money, and the team is more important than individual players all the time, that said, I would have been a wreak if we let either Brady or Dalton walk. And then if we started this season 0-2 without them? I'd have my pitch fork in hand already.

Want to know hear some splits about the Bombers?

In 2022, when Brady rushed for 4 yard or less per carry, we averaged 24 points a game. When he rushed for over 4 yards per carry, we scored 35 points per game.

In 2023, he only rushed for less than 4 yards per carry in one game. That was the infamous collapse against Ottawa.

Now, in 2024, without a health Brady in either game, we're averaging 15 points and a $h!t sandwich.

I 100% do not regret his contract and think this team is a lot different with him doing his thing on the field. I also believe we're "that close", but it has nothing to do with signing bums on the couch who no other team wants to sign either.
My wife is amazing!

northof30

This team will not make the playoffs!

Jesse

Quote from: Jesse on June 21, 2024, 11:03:18 AMI allow myself to get caught in the narrative that RBs aren't worth the money, and the team is more important than individual players all the time, that said, I would have been a wreak if we let either Brady or Dalton walk. And then if we started this season 0-2 without them? I'd have my pitch fork in hand already.

Want to know hear some splits about the Bombers?

In 2022, when Brady rushed for 4 yard or less per carry, we averaged 24 points a game. When he rushed for over 4 yards per carry, we scored 35 points per game.

In 2023, he only rushed for less than 4 yards per carry in one game. That was the infamous collapse against Ottawa.

Now, in 2024, without a health Brady in either game, we're averaging 15 points and a $h!t sandwich.

I 100% do not regret his contract and think this team is a lot different with him doing his thing on the field. I also believe we're "that close", but it has nothing to do with signing bums on the couch who no other team wants to sign either.

Just building off of this. In the beginning of yesterday's game when Johnny was in, we certainly had another slow start on offence. But later in the game with Brady in, we started moving the ball and putting together some drives. I feel good with how we're progressing.
My wife is amazing!

Blueforlife

We missed you, I guess you had to chime in with some gloom! Lol

We will be around 500 and hopefully sneak in.  Too early to know what we are yet.

Waffler

I see the lack of success without Brady more as a confirmation that Augustine is a backup. He's had lots of chances. They've brought in import running backs the past few years that I thought looked pretty good but they don't survive the cuts.  Surely one or more of those is better than Augustine. When was the last import we saw in a game here?
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

dd

I would start on our D first!! We need a rush end and some backend help out there, namely at safety. Alexander was in chase mode all night long which is not a good look. He used to be a our fast safety, well, he ain't fast no more. Ditto with Biggie. We made a huge mistake last year not going after Sankey. Sooner or later you have to move on from your high priced vets....its getting to be that time for at least 2 of them out there!

J5V

Please, please, please, I pray, in no way, shape, or form bring back Lapo. Buck Pierce is more than capable as an offensive coordinator and isn't as dull and predictable as Lapo has shown to be. I absolutely couldn't stand Lapo's schemes and Buck, having been a good, exciting QB, has a flair for the game that Lapo will never have. Buck is still learning and developing as an OC. I think he's going to be one of the best.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on June 22, 2024, 10:05:08 PMI see the lack of success without Brady more as a confirmation that Augustine is a backup. He's had lots of chances. They've brought in import running backs the past few years that I thought looked pretty good but they don't survive the cuts.  Surely one or more of those is better than Augustine. When was the last import we saw in a game here?

Wasn't there a guy named Cotton here before AH?  I really have blocked out our RB performance pre-AH33.  The running game before AH is really not worth my brain cells.  I'm pretty sure we were "trying out" RBs for many seasons there.

Augustine is just a backup.  100%.  But he's now the best NAT RB backup in the league, IMHO.  That's why I pointed out how shameful it was Johnny had better stats than Brady through week 2.  Obviously some big runs by Brady in week 3 solved that problem.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on June 23, 2024, 12:51:10 AMPlease, please, please, I pray, in no way, shape, or form bring back Lapo. Buck Pierce is more than capable as an offensive coordinator and isn't as dull and predictable as Lapo has shown to be.

Ya, I'm fine with Buck, but only when he's working working working (as per his own words).  I think he got really lackadaisical in both recent GCs as well as going into this season.  He was looking much better in week 3.

That said, if Buck quit tomorrow, I'd happily welcome back Lapo.  It was Lapo who got us to the point we could win that cup.  And Lapo was the one who best used Strevie.  Lapo is miles above goofs like Condell or Macadont.

The best thing about Buck is I'm convinced he'd make a horrific HC because of temperament.  If suitors can realize this, we should be able to keep Buck basically forever.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 23, 2024, 02:25:18 AMWasn't there a guy named Cotton here before AH?  I really have blocked out our RB performance pre-AH33.  The running game before AH is really not worth my brain cells.  I'm pretty sure we were "trying out" RBs for many seasons there.

Augustine is just a backup.  100%.  But he's now the best NAT RB backup in the league, IMHO.  That's why I pointed out how shameful it was Johnny had better stats than Brady through week 2.  Obviously some big runs by Brady in week 3 solved that problem.
Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 23, 2024, 02:25:18 AMWasn't there a guy named Cotton here before AH?  I really have blocked out our RB performance pre-AH33.  The running game before AH is really not worth my brain cells.  I'm pretty sure we were "trying out" RBs for many seasons there.

Last 2 American RB's I can recall Chevon Walker and Timothy Flanders who spent many a year backing up A.H..

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 23, 2024, 05:51:52 AMLast 2 American RB's I can recall Chevon Walker and Timothy Flanders who spent many a year backing up A.H..

Ah ya, Ned.  But Flanders was only ever in when AH was injured/spelling, so I wouldn't count him in the list of "starters".  Flanders was the McCrae of his time, and I don't count McCrae as a starting RB either.

Walker I don't recall... I just remember a revolving door somewhat before AH33 showed up.  No one stuck, no one stood out, no one was an all-star.

Who was the RB in the 2011 GC?  Would that be the last time we had a "real" starting IMP RB?  Or do you have to go all the way back to Roberts??
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 23, 2024, 07:39:23 AMAh ya, Ned.  But Flanders was only ever in when AH was injured/spelling, so I wouldn't count him in the list of "starters".  Flanders was the McCrae of his time, and I don't count McCrae as a starting RB either.

Walker I don't recall... I just remember a revolving door somewhat before AH33 showed up.  No one stuck, no one stood out, no one was an all-star.

Who was the RB in the 2011 GC? Would that be the last time we had a "real" starting IMP RB?  Or do you have to go all the way back to Roberts??

Fred Reid. He was a very good one.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers