It is gonna be a long year!

Started by Austin85, June 18, 2024, 03:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Road Griller on June 20, 2024, 01:59:09 AMJust like Nichols backing up Willy.  The QB stable isn't lean.  We have someone and Zach would be a great #2.

I agree with you on a ton of things, but I think you're off the deep end thinking benching Zach would be a good idea.

Just answer me one question: why was Zach voted #1 best player in the CFL just a few months ago?  Is everyone wrong?

Another question: TSN panel said the other night that Cody wasn't anywhere near being the best QB, and he barely made the top 50 list IIRC.  If you could trade Zach for Cody tomorrow, and reap the $200k SMS savings, would you do it?  Remember, Cody just won the GC and beat us in our own barn.

I can predict what 99% of this forum (including myself) will say.  If you're going to take the opposite side, you have to justify it.

I think the way to make all parties happy is to up the Strev factor a little more.  Make it more like the last 4 games of 2019.  Would you be happy (enough) with that?  And hey, if Strev blows it out of the park doing that, then we can re-examine benching Zach.
Never go full Rider!

dd

No way no how does MOS bench Collaros. It isn't going to happen, that's not his MO, he's loyal to a fault to his veteran players and he has too much respect for Collaros. He needs to play his way out of this funk and MOS will let him do just that. MOS knows he's got to get the old zach back and benching him isn't going to do that, if anything it would make the situation worse, but no worries it's never going to happen

Road Griller

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 20, 2024, 02:16:43 AMI agree with you on a ton of things, but I think you're off the deep end thinking benching Zach would be a good idea.

Just answer me one question: why was Zach voted #1 best player in the CFL just a few months ago?  Is everyone wrong?

Another question: TSN panel said the other night that Cody wasn't anywhere near being the best QB, and he barely made the top 50 list IIRC.  If you could trade Zach for Cody tomorrow, and reap the $200k SMS savings, would you do it?  Remember, Cody just won the GC and beat us in our own barn.

I can predict what 99% of this forum (including myself) will say.  If you're going to take the opposite side, you have to justify it.

I think the way to make all parties happy is to up the Strev factor a little more.  Make it more like the last 4 games of 2019.  Would you be happy (enough) with that?  And hey, if Strev blows it out of the park doing that, then we can re-examine benching Zach.

Thank you for the kind words.  My reasoning is the last 4 starts Zach has not thrown a TD.  4 picks and two of those end zone picks, one more red zone iirc.

Not too concerned on what the talking heads have to say on TSN.  So much seems scripted like the nonsense they come up with trying to be funny.  Outside of LaPo it's a bunch of Poo-Poo IMO.

There were signs last year of long stretches of nothing from the Passing game.  Brady was on fire so it covered a lot of it up.

We were getting torched by the Elks, Zach leaves the game then Brown comes in.  Same everything but all of a sudden it works.  Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

And no, I don't want Cody either.  Or MBT. 

The fact that they have not used Streveler in the 2019 manner at minimum makes me question if Buck even has a clue on how to.  What is he saving it for?  We need points now.

That said I want to see Streveler run a normal first team offence like Dru Brown did.  He did very well.  His mobility helped and we know Stevy has that. 

Let's see his new arm, why not?  Some sideline time may do Zach well, the game may slow down for him again.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Road Griller on June 20, 2024, 03:59:27 AMThank you for the kind words.  My reasoning is the last 4 starts Zach has not thrown a TD.  4 picks and two of those end zone picks, one more red zone iirc.

Not too concerned on what the talking heads have to say on TSN.

The TSN Top-50 list is calculated via:
"Approximately 40 ballots were distributed to voters across the country, including 3DownNation contributors John Hodge, JC Abbott, Ben Grant, and Ryan Ballantine. Each ballot could include only 40 players with minimum requirements for each position."

In past years the voting included top coaches, media guys, ex-players, etc.  The above is pretty vague for 2024, and I can't find better info after trying a fair bit.

My point is Zach was voted #1 (3 years running!) by more than just poo-poo TSN panelists.  At the very least it would include guys like our CJOB DT, and maybe Doug Brown.

Even if it's just media pundits, it does mean something if Zach was #1 overall.  Not everyone who watches/studies the CFL can be wrong?

Yes, Zach has had 4 "bad" games.  But playoffs are always funny things, where the normal game plan doesn't always apply.  You get it done however you can.  I'm way more concerned about his week 1 & 2 production than whatever happened last year.

I think the best you'll get in terms of your desires is maybe X % more Strevie in each game.  Although, like you said, maybe Buck really doesn't have a clue?  His playbook looked great right when he took over, and he had some novel ideas and schemes; but I've seen very little high-brain stuff from him for about 10 games now.  I count 2 new plays that have really excited me in that timeframe: one late last season and one in week 1.  The GC was an exposition in low-brain uselessness.  Buck definitely needs to kick it up a notch.  To waste so many on-field weapons is shameful.
Never go full Rider!

Road Griller

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 20, 2024, 05:31:45 AMThe TSN Top-50 list is calculated via:
"Approximately 40 ballots were distributed to voters across the country, including 3DownNation contributors John Hodge, JC Abbott, Ben Grant, and Ryan Ballantine. Each ballot could include only 40 players with minimum requirements for each position."

In past years the voting included top coaches, media guys, ex-players, etc.  The above is pretty vague for 2024, and I can't find better info after trying a fair bit.

My point is Zach was voted #1 (3 years running!) by more than just poo-poo TSN panelists.  At the very least it would include guys like our CJOB DT, and maybe Doug Brown.

Even if it's just media pundits, it does mean something if Zach was #1 overall.  Not everyone who watches/studies the CFL can be wrong?

Yes, Zach has had 4 "bad" games.  But playoffs are always funny things, where the normal game plan doesn't always apply.  You get it done however you can.  I'm way more concerned about his week 1 & 2 production than whatever happened last year.

I think the best you'll get in terms of your desires is maybe X % more Strevie in each game.  Although, like you said, maybe Buck really doesn't have a clue?  His playbook looked great right when he took over, and he had some novel ideas and schemes; but I've seen very little high-brain stuff from him for about 10 games now.  I count 2 new plays that have really excited me in that timeframe: one late last season and one in week 1.  The GC was an exposition in low-brain uselessness.  Buck definitely needs to kick it up a notch.  To waste so many on-field weapons is shameful.

Again, it's the talking heads.  There was more than one head scratcher on the list.  DT chose Kelly over BO last season for most outstanding player.    I haven't paid much attention to him since.

Zach was the safe choice but he wasn't even the best QB last season.  Tim White #7, Willie #9?

They would not be my #7 and #9 pick overall.  TSN does not do a great job when it comes to the CFL but where would we be without them?  Doesn't mean I have to take anything they do seriously.

Now, if Friday is 5 bad starts, the equivalent of a quarter season is that the time?

If a goalie has 20 bad starts in a row in hockey do they make a change?  Edmonton would not be in the finals if they did not sit Skinner.  Then they went back to him and he has been better.

Coaches need to make the hard decisions sometimes.

As far as Buck, I would hire LaPo as an offensive consultant and get him back in the building.  Get back focused into an all around game with short plays mixed in, way too much downfield stuff that is taking way to long to develop.  Teams are waiting back and sitting on it.

Is that the bulk of Zach's troubles?  Hopefully, it would be an easier fix.

What would change that immediately IMO? Streveler.  He will always have the easier downfield throw because the DB's have to come up to play contain.  The reward for that?  Getting taken to Boomtown by QB getting to the next level.  Once Streveler lays out that said DB you go right after him the next play while he is still adjusting his equipment back into place.

Could work?  We know what isn't.

TBURGESS

Collaros was great LAST YEAR. It doesn't make him great this year. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on June 20, 2024, 02:20:02 PMCollaros was great LAST YEAR. It doesn't make him great this year.

True, but this season has just begun, can't read too much into anything yet, by Labour Day we'll have a realistic view of Zach's performance and the playoff prospects of this team.

Waffler

Quote from: Road Griller on June 20, 2024, 01:02:23 PMAs far as Buck, I would hire LaPo as an offensive consultant

I think a consultant would be great but we need new blood in here. Nothing against LaPo but we need an outsider that can be a contrarian and not worry about friendships or stepping on toes. The Bombers can decide to accept that or not. The odds of it ever happening appear less than zero though. MOS wants the guys he knows and lets them do their job, sink or swim.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Waffler on June 20, 2024, 03:15:10 PMI think a consultant would be great but we need new blood in here. Nothing against LaPo but we need an outsider that can be a contrarian and not worry about friendships or stepping on toes. The Bombers can decide to accept that or not. The odds of it ever happening appear less than zero though. MOS wants the guys he knows and lets them do their job, sink or swim.

Remember Marcel Bellefeuille?  How the hell did they ever end up with him....

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Road Griller

Quote from: Waffler on June 20, 2024, 03:15:10 PMI think a consultant would be great but we need new blood in here. Nothing against LaPo but we need an outsider that can be a contrarian and not worry about friendships or stepping on toes. The Bombers can decide to accept that or not. The odds of it ever happening appear less than zero though. MOS wants the guys he knows and lets them do their job, sink or swim.

A lot of the system is his, he knows many of the players still.  He knows football,

I am not a fan of his conservative approach at times but it seems like that is exactly what this team needs.  His motto,' The ball IS the Cup'.Need to protect it at all costs. Poor turnovers at critical times cost us the last two.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Road Griller on June 20, 2024, 05:20:06 PMHis motto,' The ball IS the Cup'.Need to protect it at all costs. Poor turnovers at critical times cost us the last two.

That is one of the best CFL quotes of all time.  Talk about putting the focus where it needs to be.  Nothing else works if you haven't secured the ball and work to keep it secure.  See all the fumbles and INTs thru week 2...  Just like in the GC, if we don't do those turnovers, we almost certainly win.  That's the difference right there.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 20, 2024, 04:16:17 PMRemember Marcel Bellefeuille?  How the hell did they ever end up with him....
Oh stop it please, years of therapy are going to be lost at the mere mention of that bozo's name. I haven't been able to put on a tie ever since Justin doltz's touchdown dance. Oh the horror is coming back, please stop it!!

Road Griller

Quote from: dd on June 21, 2024, 03:33:21 AMOh stop it please, years of therapy are going to be lost at the mere mention of that bozo's name. I haven't been able to put on a tie ever since Justin doltz's touchdown dance. Oh the horror is coming back, please stop it!!

He didn't dance, he adjusted his tie.....

Lincoln Locomotive

I had a feeling we would not beat the Als in our home opener and they didn't play with fire.   Losing Jarmarcus and Sheed really hurt us in the fire department.   Then they went to play against Dru and the Red Blacks and still....no fire....no urgency.   Other teams love to beat us after we've dominated the league for the past 3 seasons.    In 2019 we weren't dominant....we signed Zach and went on a roll and like the Als who beat us in the last GC, we beat the highly touted TiCats and the next 3 seasons we WERE dominating.    We won't be dominating this year as other teams have focus on getting better whereas as MOS often says "we like our guys".    That's complacency right there and we've lost that competitiveness and fire we had in previous seasons.
Brady will be in tough this year because his O-line won't be able to open holes you could drive a truck through....he will struggle to make a thousand yards.   It's all lost or won in the trenches and we are no where close to being there.    Also losing JJ was a huge loss even if he did spend too much time in the ice tub.   
Will I still remain a loyal Bomber fan for my upcoming 63rd consecutive season??   Of course and I will call out the team when they are under performing as they did in the first two games.   Bomber management needs to address the injury situation as it's obvious the "next man up" mantra isn't working and our depth is thin.
That being said, we still have enough components on offence to win games IF everyone is healthy.   That's a mighty big IF yet it's still within the realm of possibility.
I will continue to listen to Bomber games on OB radio until i either dead or deaf.....whichever comes first....lol!

Blue and Gold forever homies!!
Bomber fan for life