AAF a financial mess

Started by GCn19, February 19, 2019, 01:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCn19

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 19, 2019, 03:21:09 PM
Not the point at all. A league shouldn't need a quarter billion dollar bailout after two weeks. That's beyond absurd.

It has nothing to do with whether or not it hurts anyone by existing. It's a matter of whether or not its existence is viable.

We were all told this league had deep pockets and could sustain losses for the first couple of years. We were all told Polian was a genius and the league would be a financial success. We were all told that everyone would jump ship to the AAF for the paycheque. Clearly all of that was B.S. and this league was all smoke and mirrors. Even McMahon wouldn't buy it and use it to jumpstart the XFL. Bankrupt after week one....well done Mr. Polian.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

blue_gold_84

According to the rumour mill, the first two weeks' worth of games haven't generated a dime for the AAF. LOL
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GCn19

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 19, 2019, 03:44:33 PM
According to the rumour mill, the first two weeks' worth of games haven't generated a dime for the AAF. LOL

How could it? The attendance numbers were fictitious and those that were there were probably a papered crowd in an attempt at good TV optics. This league has no revenue streams.

theaardvark

Wow... hype he league, put some fannies in the seats in week one, and week two, almost get outdrawn my the LFL... pretty sad, really. 

Good concept, good intentions, great names associated with the teams, but a horrible execution and now these headlines are making this rapidly a laughing stock. 

Good planning on Walters part, here's another wave of potential players...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

kkc60

Quote from: theaardvark on February 19, 2019, 03:53:17 PM
Wow... hype he league, put some fannies in the seats in week one, and week two, almost get outdrawn my the LFL... pretty sad, really. 

Good concept, good intentions, great names associated with the teams, but a horrible execution and now these headlines are making this rapidly a laughing stock. 

Good planning on Walters part, here's another wave of potential players...
Of course you somehow find a way to compliment Walters

kkc60

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 19, 2019, 03:21:09 PM
Not the point at all. A league shouldn't need a quarter billion dollar bailout after two weeks. That's beyond absurd.

It has nothing to do with whether or not it hurts anyone by existing. It's a matter of whether or not its existence is viable.
And who is it hurting by existing? The league itself and those throwing money into it. Why anyone here would care if they shovel money to keep it going? Doesn't affect us.

Even Ed Tait and Darren Cameron seem to enjoy taking the piss outta the AAF.

bluengold204

Quote from: kkc60 on February 19, 2019, 04:00:36 PM
And who is it hurting by existing? The league itself and those throwing money into it. Why anyone here would care if they shovel money to keep it going? Doesn't affect us.

They only care cause they want to brag and tell everyone that they were right saying the league would fail from the get go.  Nothing more than people trying to boost their own egos.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: kkc60 on February 19, 2019, 04:00:36 PM

I responded to that silly comment already. But when you think about it, it'll hurt a number of individuals if it can't afford to pay them. So, there's that. Unless you think corporate welfare and hard-working athletes not getting remunerated are reasonable things. I sure don't.

And good for Tait and Cameron. Turns out they were right. It's like you're upset for others having an opinion. ???
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

kkc60

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 19, 2019, 04:14:39 PM
I responded to that silly comment already. But when you think about it, it'll hurt a number of individuals if it can't afford to pay them. So, there's that. Unless you think corporate welfare and hard-working athletes not getting remunerated are reasonable things. I sure don't.

And good for Tait and Cameron. Turns out they were right. It's like you're upset for others having an opinion. ???
The league still exists last I checked. That being said, what I'm saying is if millionaires wanna throw millions at the league, that's their choice.

As for Tait and Cameron, I'm just surprised how insecure some CFL people seem to be about the AAF.

Oh they can have an opinion. Everyone can. Mine is that the AAF deserves a fair shake. Its a new league, it doesnt have the benefit of existing for 60 years. I can't say I hope it lasts. But I hope it does. Not because its overly entertaining, but because if it doesn't lots of athletes, trainers, stadium workers, coaches and league personnel will lose their jobs. Plus i personally love football of all forms.

I just fail to see why people would cheer against it, reasonably

Colton

Quote from: GCn18 on February 19, 2019, 03:38:28 PM
We were all told this league had deep pockets and could sustain losses for the first couple of years. We were all told Polian was a genius and the league would be a financial success. We were all told that everyone would jump ship to the AAF for the paycheque. Clearly all of that was B.S. and this league was all smoke and mirrors. Even McMahon wouldn't buy it and use it to jumpstart the XFL. Bankrupt after week one....well done Mr. Polian.

I'm not sure why you take so much joy in the failure of a league just because some people claimed it would kill the CFL. It's like flexing on flat earthers or beating up a toddler and claiming you're strong.

GCn19

Quote from: Colton on February 19, 2019, 04:27:11 PM
I'm not sure why you take so much joy in the failure of a league just because some people claimed it would kill the CFL. It's like flexing on flat earthers or beating up a toddler and claiming you're strong.

Fair point...but I will still do it.

Colton

Jesse

Quote from: GCn18 on February 19, 2019, 05:01:39 PM
Fair point...but I will still do it.
Quote from: Colton on February 19, 2019, 05:08:25 PM
Hahaha fair enough

What a reasonable disagreement.

Good job boys.
My wife is amazing!

The Zipp

I think it may come down to how this league was presented and perceived at the onset.  If you perceived it as a threat to the CFL and your livelihood then I guess it is normal to react positively when it looks to be failing.  If it is just perceived to be complimentary then you cheer it on and hope it does well. 

There were numerous reports that the CFL better be wary of this new league that pays better, has insurance and is going to weaken the talent pool - all before a single game was played ...when that is put forward in that tone I can see why those with an actual financial investment (ed and Darren) and those with an emotional investment (lots of fans) move to the "competitive" side and will see this bailout as the beginning of the end of yet another league. 

And some people just like being right...

kkc60

Quote from: The Zipp on February 19, 2019, 05:16:28 PM
I think it may come down to how this league was presented and perceived at the onset.  If you perceived it as a threat to the CFL and your livelihood then I guess it is normal to react positively when it looks to be failing.  If it is just perceived to be complimentary then you cheer it on and hope it does well. 

There were numerous reports that the CFL better be wary of this new league that pays better, has insurance and is going to weaken the talent pool - all before a single game was played ...when that is put forward in that tone I can see why those with an actual financial investment (ed and Darren) and those with an emotional investment (lots of fans) move to the "competitive" side and will see this bailout as the beginning of the end of yet another league. 

And some people just like being right...
Fair points, that being said, the AAF really makes sense for lots of American players. Not everyone can go to a different country for several months a year nor do they want to. Plus, with how the CFL and its rosters are structured, a good part of the AAFs players would never even get a DI spot in the CFL or a shot altogether.

When I saw the AAF and what it provides its players, I found it unreasonable but at the same time, you can only play ball for so long. Obviously the CFL couldn't match what they provide, but after seeing how Jonathan Hefny had to start a Go Fund Me because of an injury suffered in the CFL, I can't fault players for looking and choosing to go elsewhere, or have any issue with a league doing better in that regard