AAF a financial mess

Started by GCn19, February 19, 2019, 01:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCn19

So the AAF apparently got a financial bail out already from the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes. If not for a credit backing of 250 million the league would have folded this week. Now, before any of you say...well they got a huge amount of money now, keep in mind that there is zero chance this league continues to operate as it has. I am certain LARGE financial operating changes have to be coming. Under current operations this league frittered away over 100 million dollars that had already been invested and played 2 weeks of football. The new credit backer will not let this go on and end up having to pay down a defunct league's debt.

So for those who thought Polian was a genius that would instantly have success, and that his business model was solid....told ya so. This new line of credit will allow them to continue temporarily but without major change to it's finances this is a league that is on it's death march.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Darwinismyhomeboy

Haven't looked into the league at all.  I wonder how their crowds are.  And do they even have a tv deal?

booch

said all along....the U.S public will not buy into it, nor will any large corporate sponsors to inject the all important revenue into it...form when I lived and played in the U.S if it wasn't NFL or NCAA...it was an after thought..especially in the larger areas...doesn't matter who is backing it, playing in it, or what they saw as reason's for failure in past leagues...

Blue In BC

I've watched parts of 4 games and stadium crowds seem very small. In fact the broadcast seems to go out of their way to NOT show the crowds. Could be partially my imagination but it seems that way. Also not much noise from the fans either? Haven't seen any mascots or cheerleaders?

The TV gives odd overhead or from the back field looks making it harder to see what is going on.

The only thing I did notice this weekend that was of interest was that Khalil Bass was on one of the teams.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

It won't last its first season.

And not should it. The football is terrible.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on February 19, 2019, 01:59:10 PM
It won't last its first season.

And not should it. The football is terrible.

It has been horrible football so far. Looks like pee wee pre season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BlueInCgy

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 19, 2019, 01:56:08 PM
I've watched parts of 4 games and stadium crowds seem very small. In fact the broadcast seems to go out of their way to NOT show the crowds. Could be partially my imagination but it seems that way. Also not much noise from the fans either? Haven't seen any mascots or cheerleaders?

Wait.  There's AAF teams in Toronto and Vancouver  :D

theaardvark

Quote from: BlueInCgy on February 19, 2019, 02:07:28 PM
Wait.  There's AAF teams in Toronto and Vancouver  :D

No, Toronto and BC have weak crowds..  AAF crowds are embarrassing.  How they cam uup with the attendance numbers for game one... I have no idea.

Less than 12k in Memphis...  and I'm sure that is fudged.

I sure hope none of the players are counting on all the benefits they were offered...  looks like even game 3 game cheques may be in question...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Where is bigbuff33 who was saying all year that the AAF would be the demise of the CFL?
#Ride?

The Zipp

From deadspin:
https://deadspin.com/report-the-aaf-needed-a-250-million-bailout-after-jus-1832723865/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Anyone with a stake in the AAF was eager to let the world know what a wild success the league?s first week of games was, citing the fact that the opening contest got better ratings than an NBA game on ABC. But according to a report from The Athletic, the league?s solid ratings didn?t prevent it from nearly missing payroll in just its second week of operation.

The Athletic reports that the AAF was on the cusp of not being able to pay its players on Friday, but was bailed out when Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon agreed to make a $250 million investment in the league, making him the league?s new chairman:

?Without a new, nine-figure investor, nobody is sure what would have happened,? one source said. ?You can always tell people their checks are going to be a little late, but how many are going to show up on the weekend for games when they don?t see anything hit their bank accounts on Friday??

On Tuesday, multiple sources told The Athletic, the AAF will announce that Carolina Hurricanes majority owner Tom Dundon, a self-made billionaire from Dallas, has become that nine-figure investor. Dundon will be introduced as the league?s new chairman after last week?s commitment of $250 million enabled the AAF to meet its obligations.

Meanwhile, attendance at the league?s Week 2 games was pretty grim. Hopefully Dundon isn?t hoping for a big return on his investment.

bowlerdude

The salaries they were promising always seemed wildly ambitious. Sounded nice for the players but felt like it was impossible for a brand new league to pay. I tried to give them a little bit of benefit of the doubt, but clearly that was unwarranted. I'm a little surprised it only took a couple of weeks, but this seems like it was always the inevitable outcome.

kkc60

I hope it lasts. Lots of good football players playing in the league and they deserve to be able to play the sport they love.

I don't get why so many CFL fans are so concentrated on trashing the AAF. It literally hurts no one by existing

blue_gold_84

Quote from: kkc60 on February 19, 2019, 03:12:13 PM
I hope it lasts. Lots of good football players playing in the league and they deserve to be able to play the sport they love.

I don't get why so many CFL fans are so concentrated on trashing the AAF. It literally hurts no one by existing

Not the point at all. A league shouldn't need a quarter billion dollar bailout after two weeks. That's beyond absurd.

It has nothing to do with whether or not it hurts anyone by existing. It's a matter of whether or not its existence is viable.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GCn19

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 19, 2019, 03:21:09 PM
Not the point at all. A league shouldn't need a quarter billion dollar bailout after two weeks. That's beyond absurd.

It has nothing to do with whether or not it hurts anyone by existing. It's a matter of whether or not its existence is viable.

It clearly, under current parameters, is not viable.

GCn19

Quote from: kkc60 on February 19, 2019, 03:12:13 PM

I agree it hurts no one by existing. However, we were all told this would hurt the CFL. Many of us said it would not. Now we get our todaso's.