All-CFL (RIP All-Stars)

Started by TecnoGenius, September 18, 2024, 09:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

So the league has banned the term "All-Stars" and replaced it with "All-CFL".

I was thinking more about this.  Aren't all players in this league CFL players?  All CFL.  All-CFL.  Everyone is All-CFL.

So how can singling out a few top players as "All-CFL" mean anything?  It's asinine.

Is this a participation trophy thing?  Did they think that by labeling only the best players "stars" that the other players feel bad?  Do they want to pretend every player is a "star"?

So many issues in the league and this is what Ambrosie is focusing on?  Feewings?

Even if you wanted every player to feel like a "star", and at the pro level I guess you could say in some sense they all are, surely you can come up with better nomenclature?  All-CFL doesn't make any sense, doesn't roll off the tongue, takes forever to say, and won't make sense to anyone when you say it.  Good luck with the American market we're always trying to gain.

So, what you would you rename it to if you could?  Let's get some good suggestions so Ambrosie can still have his feelz yet we aren't stuck with a stupid name that makes no sense.

How about just:

Superstars or All-Superstars.  There, now every player can be a star, but some are super.  Or any other word-stars, like top-stars, or best-stars.

I guarantee this forum can come up with something better than "All-CFL".
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

...the league banned the term?

The NFL uses all-pro so what they call it is largely just marketing. All-cfl. All star. Does it really matter? It means the same thing.

TecnoGenius

Well, they banned the term as much as they banned mentioning the word "Esks".  By changing it they are hinting that the term is "bad".  I bet the term will be verboten on TSN, except for maybe one week of informing fans of the change.  (And the occasional freudian slip by Suits or Rod.)

I like "all-pro"; I didn't know the NFL got rid of "all-star" too.  When did that happen?

However, by singling out some players as "more pro" than others, isn't that even worse than singling out "stars"?

Has either league ever spoken to what was so bad about the old term?  At least with the Esks change we knew what the root controversy was.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

I follow the CFL a ton and I really have no idea what you're talking about it. The old term has no obvious negative connotation? No one is hinting anything?

Names change all the time. It's just a marketing term which never really caught on in the CFL to begin with.

All pro in the NFL is just the top players at each position as voted by the media. I don't think it's ever been called all star but I could be wrong.

This issue is so insignificant I've never thought about it and don't know why anyone would. There's a thing where the top players by position are voted on. It's an honour for the players who get it. Means they're good. That's basically the end of the story.

dd

I don't see what wrong with using the term all star, everyone knows what it means. All CFL seems to be pushing the 'CFL' brand but whatever

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 18, 2024, 11:02:18 PMI follow the CFL a ton and I really have no idea what you're talking about it. The old term has no obvious negative connotation? No one is hinting anything?

Names change all the time. It's just a marketing term which never really caught on in the CFL to begin with.

Uh, you're saying the term "all-star" wasn't something we all here knew and used ("never really caught on")?

What did you call the voting and winners we used to call "all-stars"?

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 18, 2024, 11:02:18 PMThis issue is so insignificant I've never thought about it and don't know why anyone would. There's a thing where the top players by position are voted on. It's an honour for the players who get it. Means they're good. That's basically the end of the story.

When a name has been used for decades, then suddenly changed overnight with no explanation, I tend to take notice.  Change for change's sake is rarely a good thing.

I don't know the history of the term "all-star" in the CFL, but it's been here as long as I've been paying attention.

I just can't wait for the word-stumbling on TSN when they have to say 4 syllables instead of 2, 20 times in a segment.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on September 18, 2024, 11:03:15 PMI don't see what wrong with using the term all star, everyone knows what it means. All CFL seems to be pushing the 'CFL' brand but whatever

Yes, that could very well be a big part of it.  However, if you're a casual or non fan, hearing "all-star" instantly conjures a clear image.  Hearing "all-cfl" if you don't know much about the CFL to begin with, will be pretty meaningless.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 18, 2024, 10:53:27 PMWell, they banned the term as much as they banned mentioning the word "Esks".  By changing it they are hinting that the term is "bad".  I bet the term will be verboten on TSN, except for maybe one week of informing fans of the change.  (And the occasional freudian slip by Suits or Rod.)

I like "all-pro"; I didn't know the NFL got rid of "all-star" too.  When did that happen?

However, by singling out some players as "more pro" than others, isn't that even worse than singling out "stars"?

Has either league ever spoken to what was so bad about the old term?  At least with the Esks change we knew what the root controversy was.

All-stars are awarded for each division, the term "all-CFL" or "all-pro" is for the league winners.

As Sir Blue and Gold says, this is so insignificant I can't it was worth making a thread over, lol.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 18, 2024, 11:38:33 PMYes, that could very well be a big part of it.  However, if you're a casual or non fan, hearing "all-star" instantly conjures a clear image.  Hearing "all-cfl" if you don't know much about the CFL to begin with, will be pretty meaningless.

Seems pretty self-explanatory...
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

The average fan has no idea there is voting by position, how it works, who votes, what it's called, or why they should care.

Without looking it up can you name who won most of the positional awards last year? MOP overall maybe but the all star/all CFL positional ones? I would wager 99.9% of people couldn't name more than one or two with certainty without googling it.

Certainly the only person in the world who would create a whole thread about the change from all star to all CFL and then claim they've banned all star because it's somehow bad is... wait for it... you.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on September 18, 2024, 11:40:06 PMAll-stars are awarded for each division, the term "all-CFL" or "all-pro" is for the league winners.

Is that true?  I read the press releases to mean they were doing away with the all-star term completely.

If you're right, then it's not so bad then.  I can live with that.  Apologies if that's the case.  (Any articles spelling this out?)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 18, 2024, 11:41:10 PMWithout looking it up can you name who won most of the positional awards last year? MOP overall maybe but the all star/all CFL positional ones? I would wager 99.9% of people couldn't name more than one or two with certainty without googling it.

I'll bite...

QB Kelly
OL Yoshi
DB Houston?
WR Schoen?
DL Betts
RB Brady

??  I hope I got more than 2...

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 18, 2024, 11:41:10 PMCertainly the only person in the world who would create a whole thread about the change from all star to all CFL and then claim they've banned all star because it's somehow bad is... wait for it... you.

Almost certainly true.   :P  :P  :P  8)  :o

What can I say, I like to look for hidden meaning behind sudden changes.

And regardless of the "why": I hate the term all-CFL!  It's dumb!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Jesse's correct: I read all the articles out there and they did say the divisional nomenclature will remain "all-star".  That I didn't know when making the thread.

Only the league-top stars will be rebranded "All-CFL".

So I was wrong, and the old name will not be verboten.

dd was also correct: this looks like a branding/marketing move.

Ok, so we're left with only my final point: it's a dumb name!  Hey, 1 outta 3 ain't bad.  I still think TSN guys are going to get confused conflating divisional all-stars vs league all-cfls.

Thanks to all for helping me understand the issue.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

I'm glad this crisis has been brought to a just conclusion.  ;D

ModAdmin

This thread has done some serious damage to my psyche.  In fact,  I am now attempting to identify my alter ego which will require finding my other self, probably one with a different personality. Additionally, the altered states of my ego may themselves be actual alterations. A lot of damage has been done and I will stay in recovery until everything settles down.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden