Brown receives max fine for hit on Streveler.....Hurrah!

Started by Throw Long Bannatyne, September 17, 2024, 01:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Better late than never.

https://3downnation.com/2024/09/16/cfl-levies-max-fine-against-saskatchewan-roughriders-dl-miles-brown-for-low-hit-on-chris-streveler/

The CFL also levied two other fines, fining B.C. linebacker Ayinde Eley for a high hit on Montreal receiver Jose Barbon and Edmonton receiver Eugene Lewis for a crackback block on Calgary defensive back Branden Dozier. The amounts of the fines were not disclosed.

TecnoGenius

Yay!  Justice is served.  There goes Riderfans' theories the hit was perfectly clean and shouldn't have even been flagged!  Can't wait to hear the spin on this one there!  I wonder how many will change their tune... (hint: one? zero?)

A message has been sent that you need to do everything in your power to ease up and avoid QB damage, and that Brown didn't do that.

It's not as strong as a 2-game suspension would have been, but it's probably good enough for now.  I should hope when he maims his 4th QB, though, that he'll get a 3-game.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Very strange the league took an extra 4 days to figure out these fines?  I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.  Perhaps they wanted to study the Brown hit at length to ensure they got it "right".
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 17, 2024, 01:31:19 AMVery strange the league took an extra 4 days to figure out these fines?  I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.  Perhaps they wanted to study the Brown hit at length to ensure they got it "right".

Perhaps Rider management or the CFLPA protested the decision which delayed the announcement.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 17, 2024, 02:01:39 AMPerhaps Rider management or the CFLPA protested the decision which delayed the announcement.

That would also be strange?  Teams & CFLPA get advance notice of these decisions?

Usually the sequence would be: 1. announcement, 2. appeal; if they didn't like the decision.

What if one of the decisions was a suspension?  Some of these players played this past weekend.  Announcing late could have affected those games.  Maybe the league felt they had the extra leeway because none were suspensions?  Still, it's all very odd.
Never go full Rider!

blue_or_die

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 17, 2024, 01:30:22 AMYay!  Justice is served.  There goes Riderfans' theories the hit was perfectly clean and shouldn't have even been flagged!  Can't wait to hear the spin on this one there!  I wonder how many will change their tune... (hint: one? zero?)

A message has been sent that you need to do everything in your power to ease up and avoid QB damage, and that Brown didn't do that.

It's not as strong as a 2-game suspension would have been, but it's probably good enough for now.  I should hope when he maims his 4th QB, though, that he'll get a 3-game.

I took a quick peek over on their forum and OMG they are completely unhinged. Like talking Tecno conspiracy stuff (no offense). Multiple threads about boycotting the league etc lmaooo

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

I'm happy with the fine but slightly surprised by it and the wording. I thought it was less bad than the LDC hit and I don't think they used the term "max fine" on the LDC head shot. Either way, if Riders fans are angry that generally means something good happened.

blue_gold_84

Better late than never. No idea why it took an extra few days, though.

Miles Brown is not only a turd, but a poor one. :D
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 17, 2024, 01:29:20 PMI'm happy with the fine but slightly surprised by it and the wording. I thought it was less bad than the LDC hit and I don't think they used the term "max fine" on the LDC head shot. Either way, if Riders fans are angry that generally means something good happened.

Probably has something to do with the fact that he just pulled an even worse stunt the week before.

Honestly, if we didn't know the guys name before the BB, I would have some grace for this. But the precedent was set and he made his own bed and earned his reputation.
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 17, 2024, 06:27:32 PMProbably has something to do with the fact that he just pulled an even worse stunt the week before.

Honestly, if we didn't know the guys name before the BB, I would have some grace for this. But the precedent was set and he made his own bed and earned his reputation.

He also didn't show any signs of remorse or respect to the player he crippled, in fact he was belligerently defiant.  Maybe should check Brown for roid rage, drug testing, Mon, Weds, Fri. and twice on Sun.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 17, 2024, 01:29:20 PMI'm happy with the fine but slightly surprised by it and the wording. I thought it was less bad than the LDC hit and I don't think they used the term "max fine" on the LDC head shot. Either way, if Riders fans are angry that generally means something good happened.

They always say if it's the max fine.  Otherwise they don't specify the amount.  (Which is a bit funny, because by saying some are max they are specifying the amount!)

I'm pretty sure the Zach hit was max fine too, though I don't know the exact wording.

He didn't get fined for the Dru take-out.

If he does it again, even if more "innocent" than the Strev hit, he'll be suspended.  Now the issue is repeated QB-takeouts, not (necessarily) "dirtiness".  He cannot keep sending QBs to the IR.  He's a nobody: the QBs are valuable.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 17, 2024, 10:32:07 PMRiderfans created a gofundme to pay Brown's fine:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/miles-brown-snack-fund

Sad. Just further points out the futility of fines. Ejection is what is needed. It's just a rule change and after that no one can grieve it.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

ModAdmin

Quote from: Waffler on September 17, 2024, 10:40:49 PMSad. Just further points out the futility of fines. Ejection is what is needed. It's just a rule change and after that no one can grieve it.

I would go further.  If a player is injured sufficiently to miss games, there needs to be a suspension.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

The penalty for any infraction is well defined, and ref's have quite the leeway to call misconduct fouls, which can lead to ejections. 

Fines after the fact are disciplinar and as they become more common will discourage behaviour that leads to them.

While injury should not be a factor in a penalty or fine, it seems to be with the fines, and I'm OK with that.  When a player gets hit in the wallet, especially for half a game cheque, for something avoidable and unnecessary, you will see players actually trying to avoid taking the chance at being tagged.

There are going to be accidents, and players are going to get injured.  I think the CFL is doing a pretty good job at limiting that, as much as we complain.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.