Brown receives max fine for hit on Streveler.....Hurrah!

Started by Throw Long Bannatyne, September 17, 2024, 01:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Quote from: ModAdmin on September 18, 2024, 12:22:17 AMI would go further.  If a player is injured sufficiently to miss games, there needs to be a suspension.
I agree. In my mind, brown should be suspended as long as strev is out, that would be a fair suspension. And if strev can't play again then brown never plays again. That type of policy would eliminate the cheap shots right here and now. And don't give me this was an accident or he didn't mean it, he purposely went after his knee and grappled with it. It was totally on purpose . If he wanted to avoid the hit, he could have pushed off stress leg, instead he grabbed for it. Suspend the thug

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on September 18, 2024, 02:14:07 AMThe penalty for any infraction is well defined, and ref's have quite the leeway to call misconduct fouls, which can lead to ejections. 

Misconducts can only be flagged after the whistle.  So none of Brown's 3 QB take-outs would qualify.

So ejection for in-whistle plays can only come from calling a "grade 2" penalty, which has very strict definitions.

Of course, they could make the rules stricter in the off-season, if they really want to deal with these hits.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on September 18, 2024, 02:14:07 AMThere are going to be accidents, and players are going to get injured.  I think the CFL is doing a pretty good job at limiting that, as much as we complain.

Are they though?  Basically every franchise QB except Maier has been injured this season.  Much the same as the previous 2 seasons.  None this season were non-contact.  So all were due to hits.

Some are legit and a part of normal play.  Some are not.  It's those latter ones we could possibly reduce in number.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

MOS says at the end of Sep 17 presser regarding the Brown hit on Strev: "athletically you can do something different there, you can make a different choice".

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/09/17/coach-oshea-september-17-3/

Dovetails precisely with what I've said: the worst of it (if not all of it) was avoidable.  Tait points out how it's not easy, and it isn't.

SSK Mace pressers this week completely avoided the topic.  Haha, too afraid to prolong the controversy.  Tells you all you need to know about their thoughts on the matter.  Riderfans should take note.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: dd on September 18, 2024, 03:01:09 AMI agree. In my mind, brown should be suspended as long as strev is out, that would be a fair suspension. And if strev can't play again then brown never plays again. That type of policy would eliminate the cheap shots right here and now. And don't give me this was an accident or he didn't mean it, he purposely went after his knee and grappled with it. It was totally on purpose . If he wanted to avoid the hit, he could have pushed off stress leg, instead he grabbed for it. Suspend the thug

I don't think it being tied to injury is fair at all. A dirty hit is a dirty hit regardless of whether the player is injured or can walk it off and play the next down.

There just needs to be escalating penalties so if a guy like Brown has multiple infractions there's an avenue to eject or suspend him.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Rider fans have set up a Gofundme account to pay his fine. Figures.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Quote from: theaardvark on September 18, 2024, 02:14:07 AMThe penalty for any infraction is well defined, and ref's have quite the leeway to call misconduct fouls, which can lead to ejections. 

Too much leeway. They NEVER call ejections except for fighting. I am saying make the penalty AUTOMATIC ejection. It takes the decision out of the ref's hands. And if the refs are still afraid to call it hopefully the command center would not be.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TBURGESS

Quote from: Waffler on September 18, 2024, 01:55:18 PMToo much leeway. They NEVER call ejections except for fighting. I am saying make the penalty AUTOMATIC ejection. It takes the decision out of the ref's hands. And if the refs are still afraid to call it hopefully the command center would not be.
Are you suggesting that every RTP should be an ejection or that that every RTP that results in an injury should be an ejection?
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Pete

Gotta love it, now Brown is a repeat offender and next time will undoubtedly be suspended and the icing is we get the rider fans to spend their money on it!
(As well its great that the cfl deemed it an illegal act which is driving their fanbase crazy!Wins all the way around)

J5V

I don't see how the league thinks it's a good idea to leave a repeat offender free to take out a fourth QB.
Go Bombers!

Waffler

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 18, 2024, 02:14:38 PMAre you suggesting that every RTP should be an ejection or that that every RTP that results in an injury should be an ejection?

EVERY high hit or low hit with force should be automatic ejection. MOS is on record as saying coaching and players will adjust.

Punishment has to fit the crime and protecting QB's is #1. More than fighting, which already is  an automatic ejection. It seems Brown and Ssk in general feel they can head hunt with impunity. That has to stop.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Waffler on September 18, 2024, 02:49:14 PMEVERY high hit or low hit with force should be automatic ejection. MOS is on record as saying coaching and players will adjust.

Punishment has to fit the crime and protecting QB's is #1. More than fighting, which already is  an automatic ejection. It seems Brown and Ssk in general feel they can head hunt with impunity. That has to stop.

I think I'm on board with the head hits but I'm not sure we can or should be ejecting people on low hits. You've got to protect the QB, sure, but there's a line somewhere, surely.

peg_city

At least we won't have to play them again this season  ;)

Blue In BC

Quote from: peg_city on September 18, 2024, 03:42:42 PMAt least we won't have to play them again this season  ;)

If they meet the Lions in Regina for the WSF then there is a chance we meet them in the WDF. I don't see the Stamps or Elks making the playoffs.

This weekend can push the Elks into 2025 if we start the game on time and play 60 minutes.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 18, 2024, 01:53:06 PMRider fans have set up a Gofundme account to pay his fine. Figures.

Embarrassing. What embarrassing fans.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.