Was Randolph the puzzle piece?

Started by TecnoGenius, August 19, 2024, 09:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

I'll just come out and say it.  I waited 2 games, I can't wait anymore:

Randolph at RG basically fixed our OL woes overnight.  Especially in pass protection.

Remember the last 2 games that Neufeld (then Eli) played?  Remember how opponents got through the RG spot all night(s) long?  Remember our general OL woes the first 6-7 weeks?  Ya, I remember.

Randolph dresses in his first game and suddenly our OL is lights out?  Pass pro about as good as you could reasonably desire.  Run blocking chugging nicely.  Ya, are we ready to admit going 3 IMP OL was a good idea?  It's Bond 2.0!

The counter-arguments are:

1) 2 games are not enough to really tell?
2) Both games were against the same team; maybe BC has a really bad DL?
3) ?

Discuss.

If Randolph is still lights out vs HAM and then (gasp) SSK... does Neufeld stay benched?  Or maybe swap Neufeld and Dobson?  Trade options? (!!)

Given all of our NAT D weapons, there is no requirement forcing us to go 3 NAT OL again, at least not this season (barring injuries).  If Ford or Kramdi walks in FA, 2025 could be a different matter.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Pleasantly surprised by how well he has fit in
Lofton has also settled in

The Zipp

It would appear with 2 games of data that this change on the o-line has produced positive results.

Blue In BC

Maybe. Keep in mind that we started the season with a new starting LG and RT. It took time for them to settle in. We had musical doors at receiver due to injury and were starting 3 rookie receivers.

Our defence has improved every game and forces the opponent off the field. Bombers are winning TOP.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

I don't want to get lynched for this... I think Neufeld was the problem more than Randolph was the solution.

Neufeld will be 36 years old in September, and has struggled keeping guys in front of him this season. I really like Neufeld, and he adds a little bit of grit to our OL. I just don't think he can hang with the other OL in this league.

Randolph also has been great!

I do worry a little bit about our short yardage crew. Another TO on downs after a failed 3rd down.

Waffler

My view is half a season of coaching did the trick, they've had time to gel. We don't have an allstar studded line anymore but if they play together we can get it done. Kudos to Randolph though. Coming in healthy, fresh and doing his job.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

peg_city

A reminder that the O-line did not look good to start the last two seasons. A lot of over the hill talk then.

They figured it out eventually.

markf

Yes O line seems better with him in. And Lofton... I try to watch the lines, tough cause it happens so fast, but I don't think many defenders are getting by him.  Lofton's play is a Big win for the team.

Also..New Receivers and Zach getting familiar. New receivers not needing to be told where to line up probably helps too.

Too bad we don't have the time from snap to release stats.

The short yardage.... Like everything else, this will be fixed up. That's the way this team works.

Sir Blue and Gold

It's better but it's not significantly better. I wouldn't say anything was "fixed overnight". The tape from last night's BC game would be in the bottom two or three performances from the line last year or the year before that.

TBURGESS

Replacing Neuf was a much needed move. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

blue_or_die

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 19, 2024, 02:44:17 PMReplacing Neuf was a much needed move.

When he's back from injury, it will be nice to know we have someone capable in his old spot and can use him in a backup or load management capacity (not suggesting an OL gets subbed in and out during the game*)
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Randolph looks like a solid addition to the O-line. There's still a ton of room for improvement, though.

Quote from: LXTSN on August 19, 2024, 01:23:00 PMI do worry a little bit about our short yardage crew. Another TO on downs after a failed 3rd down.

If Streveler doesn't trip like he did, they convert on that SY play.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: LXTSN on August 19, 2024, 01:23:00 PMI don't want to get lynched for this... I think Neufeld was the problem more than Randolph was the solution.

Neufeld will be 36 years old in September, and has struggled keeping guys in front of him this season. I really like Neufeld, and he adds a little bit of grit to our OL. I just don't think he can hang with the other OL in this league.

Randolph also has been great!

I do worry a little bit about our short yardage crew. Another TO on downs after a failed 3rd down.

I agree with this.  Eventually age catches up.

Pigskin

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on August 19, 2024, 03:14:58 PMI agree with this.  Eventually age catches up.

Add me to the list. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on August 19, 2024, 03:14:58 PMI agree with this.  Eventually age catches up.

Time is undefeated. It beats us all.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.