Was Randolph the puzzle piece?

Started by TecnoGenius, August 19, 2024, 09:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 19, 2024, 09:56:09 PMdon't see anyone else rising up enough this year to warrant much F.A. interest from other teams.

Haha, ya!  That's the bright side of a "good enough" OL, eh?  No one steals your guys.  Might be the first year in many where we don't lose an OL to FA because of $$.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on August 19, 2024, 08:51:13 PMHow exactly would the coach design a play for a coverage sack?
That's nonsense

You mean a D coach designing a coverage sack?  I would think that is the plan for every passing play!

Or you mean an O coach designing around a coverage sack?  Ya, they hope that doesn't happen.  However, you can design outlets for QBs on passing plays with blanket coverage, like TE sneak-outs, RB dumps, or QB runs.

One would hope we have given Zach plans on what to do in a blanket coverage situation, and not just leave him to wing it and pray.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: ichabod_crane on August 19, 2024, 06:10:46 PMWell I recall saying several games ago the O-line needed improvement for the offence to improve, but other negative Nellies said it was fine...3 wins in a row and the tune changes now?! ;)  O-Line is ALWAYS the driving force of an offence. You have no o-line, you are toast and your QB is scrambling for his life or ducking sacks.
I don't recall anyone saying the Oline was fine. I think we knew it needed improvement.

I don't know enough about player development to have a qualified opinion on the Oline. What little I do know is that it has a lot to do with footwork and that every position on that Oline is different. It's not like you can plug-and-play different players into different spots. I'm hoping that players that have struggled earlier this season are developing and getting better.

Randolph has been a big help with pass protection. Keeping Zach clean and happy is important to our continued success. Here's a shout out to the Oline. Keep her going boys!

Neuf was hurting and I'm glad he's getting the time he needs to recover. I'm sure we're going to need him down the stretch.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on August 20, 2024, 01:39:49 AMI don't recall anyone saying the Oline was fine. I think we knew it needed improvement.

Ya, the divide here was mostly "OL is hopeless & doomed" vs "OL needs a piece or two or more gel-time to improve".  Maybe that's what ichabod is referring to.  No one was saying our OL was a league-best.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Can someone who knows speak to my other question?

Is BC's DL any good or do they suck?  I think I recall someone saying somewhere their DL is undersized?  The answer to this question is very important to properly evaluating our magically improved OL.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 20, 2024, 01:51:05 AMCan someone who knows speak to my other question?

Is BC's DL any good or do they suck?  I think I recall someone saying somewhere their DL is undersized?  The answer to this question is very important to properly evaluating our magically improved OL.

They don't suck, they may perform average overall as a whole but they have a couple of potential league allstars in Teuhema, Covington and Robertson.

DM83

Techno, questioning the Lions defense is a great point. bc started the season playing many of the leagues worst teams. Once They had to play the better teams, their. Defense, and Vince started losing.  Like many QBs,  if given time Vince and Fajardo can throw the ball.

But I would like to explore the question of which QB is best under pressure. Someone said a cool summations of QB play....."look to your first read,  and then if it's not there ..run."

Now we all listen to NFL broadcasters, who seem to be of the 1960's QB mantra of a QB staying in the pocket, and waiting for guys to break open.  Then they found a few guys who would escape the pocket and run.  Today the best guys are the ones who buy time and find guys running open referencing the scramble rule.

That's the secret to success in both leagues.

So again with BC, they should be better on Defence. So far...not so good. VAs inability to read defenses is a huge concern.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on August 20, 2024, 05:12:38 PMBut I would like to explore the question of which QB is best under pressure. Someone said a cool summations of QB play....."look to your first read,  and then if it's not there ..run."

Now we all listen to NFL broadcasters, who seem to be of the 1960's QB mantra of a QB staying in the pocket, and waiting for guys to break open.  Then they found a few guys who would escape the pocket and run.  Today the best guys are the ones who buy time and find guys running open referencing the scramble rule.

Ya, but in the CFL some of the very best QBs in the last decade were pocket-mostly guys.  Ray, Zach, Bo.

Durant and Burris could move when they needed to, but more power runners than nimble navigators.

The Mahomes-type guy has yet to truly dominate the CFL.  VAJ and Rourke may qualify, and maybe Cody (as the very-poor-man's Mahomes).

I think in the CFL it's enough if you can have a good sense of pressure and find the sneak out hole to reestablish the pocket 8Y away.  However, recently Ds have been bringing in a LB to speed rush the QB if he escapes the pocket.  I think they started doing this specifically to stop Zach, but now apply it in all games.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 20, 2024, 03:33:20 PMThey don't suck, they may perform average overall as a whole but they have a couple of potential league allstars in Teuhema, Covington and Robertson.

True.  Teuhema looks like a monster.  I think they really miss Betts though.  Surely if Betts shakes free from the NFL BC couldn't possibly afford him now... right?
Never go full Rider!