Medium term changes

Started by Sir Blue and Gold, July 20, 2024, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 20, 2024, 10:22:32 PMSure bring up the only game this year that he's even looked competent. The only game he's thrown for a TD. I for one am not ready to wait another 6 games for him to have another good game.

Agreed. Outside of one good game, he's been consistently terrible. It's baffling to see not only how poorly Collaros has played so far this season, but how there's been a glaring lack of adjustments to take pressure off him.

These unacceptable performances with the offense - not just the QB - cannot continue.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

blue_or_die

Even with injuries and new guys etc, I actually think our roster is fine as it is. Not saying we can't get stronger in areas and we will with Lawler and Lawson coming back hopefully soon. But overall, our D has been better than expected and is holding offenses to reasonable scores that would allow a competent offense to simply outscore them (doesn't work when we only score 9).

On offense, our receiving core is at least serviceable if not dangerous as is, with Wilson and Demski (when the ball isn't punched out), and our OL is about the same - average and getting better compared to the start of the season.

It's Zach. Love the guy, but something is up. My medium term solution is a sports psychiatrist and I'm not even joking.
#Ride?

The Zipp

Quote from: blue_or_die on July 22, 2024, 03:52:42 PMEven with injuries and new guys etc, I actually think our roster is fine as it is. Not saying we can't get stronger in areas and we will with Lawler and Lawson coming back hopefully soon. But overall, our D has been better than expected and is holding offenses to reasonable scores that would allow a competent offense to simply outscore them (doesn't work when we only score 9).

On offense, our receiving core is at least serviceable if not dangerous as is, with Wilson and Demski (when the ball isn't punched out), and our OL is about the same - average and getting better compared to the start of the season.

It's Zach. Love the guy, but something is up. My medium term solution is a sports psychiatrist and I'm not even joking.

T Swifty's fault...

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on July 22, 2024, 03:52:42 PMEven with injuries and new guys etc, I actually think our roster is fine as it is. Not saying we can't get stronger in areas and we will with Lawler and Lawson coming back hopefully soon. But overall, our D has been better than expected and is holding offenses to reasonable scores that would allow a competent offense to simply outscore them (doesn't work when we only score 9).

Yes, given the injury issues, our D is better than expected.  Even good enough to win most games.  But I wanted to say, can you imagine what our D would look like if we could get big pressure with 4?  Imagine if we had a guy like that #73 in CGY, who was hosing BC most of the Sunday game.  And Dequoy.

We're actually really close... a couple of puzzle pieces can put us back on top.  Unfortunately for us, these things are likely a pipe dream with our SMS problems, and with the "Mafia Mantra" of "no in-season upgrades!".
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 23, 2024, 04:16:39 AMYes, given the injury issues, our D is better than expected.  Even good enough to win most games.  But I wanted to say, can you imagine what our D would look like if we could get big pressure with 4?  Imagine if we had a guy like that #73 in CGY, who was hosing BC most of the Sunday game.  And Dequoy.

We're actually really close... a couple of puzzle pieces can put us back on top.  Unfortunately for us, these things are likely a pipe dream with our SMS problems, and with the "Mafia Mantra" of "no in-season upgrades!".
Did you hear Wally Buono's halftime interview? He was asked about the successes he's had over the years and how he was able to be so successful. One of the things he alluded to was developing their own players and gave praise to his scouting staff. I'm not a big Wally fan but you have to listen when a guy like that tells you his key to success.
Go Bombers!

Sir Blue and Gold

The elephant in the room with Zach is his age. Keep in mind we got Zach when he was 31 and two months. He's now a month shy of 36. Those are the prime football years for a QB often where experience and physical abilities culminate.

Seeing as we have some die-hard TV sleuths on here there is one thing I'd be interested in reviewing with Collaros and that is foot speed. For QBs, it's the lower body that often goes first. It's possible Zach is at the point in his career where he needs to reinvent for the final couple seasons, turning into a more pocket style passer with reads and precision, or he'll struggle trying to continue to play that allusive more mobile game that he's used over the course of his career. If so, I think he can do it but not all QBs do. And some transition better than others.

To be clear, it's not all on Zach. The team around him is less talented but it's not only that.

J5V

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 23, 2024, 01:12:32 PMThe elephant in the room with Zach is his age. Keep in mind we got Zach when he was 31 and two months. He's now a month shy of 36. Those are the prime football years for a QB often where experience and physical abilities culminate.

Seeing as we have some die-hard TV sleuths on here there is one thing I'd be interested in reviewing with Collaros and that is foot speed. For QBs, it's the lower body that often goes first. It's possible Zach is at the point in his career where he needs to reinvent for the final couple seasons, turning into a more pocket style passer with reads and precision, or he'll struggle trying to continue to play that allusive more mobile game that he's used over the course of his career. If so, I think he can do it but not all QBs do. And some transition better than others.

To be clear, it's not all on Zach. The team around him is less talented but it's not only that.

Someone reminded me about the thorax injury that Zach suffered that kept him out a game or two. That may very well be hindering his throwing and athleticism overall. As he recovers from that I expect we'll see him playing better.
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: J5V on July 23, 2024, 06:33:17 PMSomeone reminded me about the thorax injury that Zach suffered that kept him out a game or two. That may very well be hindering his throwing and athleticism overall. As he recovers from that I expect we'll see him playing better.

He had his only good game after the injury.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on July 23, 2024, 07:31:23 PMHe had his only good game after the injury.

This. Whatever's ailing Collaros goes beyond the physical, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on July 23, 2024, 07:50:23 PMThis. Whatever's ailing Collaros goes beyond the physical, IMO.

Maybe but he's only played 2 games since the injury.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 23, 2024, 08:48:06 PMMaybe but he's only played 2 games since the injury.

But he was also bad before the injury.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 23, 2024, 08:48:06 PMMaybe but he's only played 2 games since the injury.

He's been out of sorts all season outside of one game. I don't think his thorax injury plays much of a factor, if at all.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on July 23, 2024, 08:50:53 PMBut he was also bad before the injury.

Yes but the comment was that he's only played 1 good game SINCE the injury.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

It's the t swift effect.  She drains the talent from people she wants to.  She leaves Kelce alone but anyone else - she feeds on them to make herself stronger. 

Zach is a victim - I don't think there is anything that can be done. 

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on July 23, 2024, 06:33:17 PMSomeone reminded me about the thorax injury that Zach suffered that kept him out a game or two. That may very well be hindering his throwing and athleticism overall. As he recovers from that I expect we'll see him playing better.

Zach is having trouble with the same problems every game, pre- and post-injury.  Even going back into last season.  So I'd say the thorax thing (if it was a thing rather than an excuse to start Strev 1 game for a look-see) is irrelevant.
Never go full Rider!