Medium term changes

Started by Sir Blue and Gold, July 20, 2024, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.O.A.B.

Kolo, Lofton, Thomas, Bighill and Alexander should be backups only or sit.

Sir Blue and Gold

I wouldn't get rid of Collaros -- he's not playing well but I'm not sure how getting rid of him would help.

He needs to make less and we need to give him better line play and a better defense (which in the current configuration of talent means defensive line).

There's lots of ways we can do it but I would trade Lawler or Schoen for an upgrade on the defensive line in the off season. We need more than just that, but it's a good start.

CFL teams can be built quickly in free agency provided sms space is available. Stanley Bryant, Jermarcus Hardrick, Willie Jefferson, and Nic Demski are a few examples.

We need to get more four man pressure and we need some better offensive line play and we'll be back at the top of the division next year.

Pete

The biggest change is letting some of the new guys play vs the vets. Even if its a rotation.
Did Jones get any reps? Can Griffin play safety, can Cole play sam? we continuously let the vets away with mediocre plays that we would never allow a rookie.
 Its not just about the vets play its about seeing what we need and have.

theaardvark

Using Streveler like Lapo did would go a long way to fixing the offense. 

These are all the TD's Streveler has scored for the Bombers. 

I've started this at the short yardage, step back and nail Dressler... there's another passing TD at 9:80 and then the last one as well.

I'm not sure that you have to "take out the deep balls", Streveler has pretty good touch and a strong arm when given the chance.

Will he hit every pass, will he find every open receiver?  No, but no QB will.  Pretty sure he'd hit more than Zach did last week.  20/31 for 266 and no TD's/1 int, with 9 going to your RB is not a good stat line.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TBURGESS

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 20, 2024, 07:50:12 PMZach looked pretty good last weekend against CGY, which is the most bewildering thing.  It seems to me his inconsistency could be mental health related, but the examination of a QB's mental fitness is not something that is likely to be evaluated anytime soon so there's no way to know if it's an issue.
Sure bring up the only game this year that he's even looked competent. The only game he's thrown for a TD. I for one am not ready to wait another 6 games for him to have another good game. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

BBRT

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 20, 2024, 10:22:32 PMSure bring up the only game this year that he's even looked competent. The only game he's thrown for a TD. I for one am not ready to wait another 6 games for him to have another good game.
[/quot
Quote from: TBURGESS on July 20, 2024, 10:22:32 PMSure bring up the only game this year that he's even looked competent. The only game he's thrown for a TD. I for one am not ready to wait another 6 games for him to have another good game.
I am sort of leaning in your direction however I will wait until mid season (9 games) and then Zack is either back to being the Zack we know or it is time to move on and give Streveler a shot at being the starter. I think this year is more of less a write off so as long as we are looking toward the future maybe time let a few Vets take a seat and see what the youngsters can accomplish.

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 20, 2024, 08:41:02 PMI wouldn't get rid of Collaros -- he's not playing well but I'm not sure how getting rid of him would help.

He needs to make less and we need to give him better line play and a better defense (which in the current configuration of talent means defensive line).

There's lots of ways we can do it but I would trade Lawler or Schoen for an upgrade on the defensive line in the off season. We need more than just that, but it's a good start.

CFL teams can be built quickly in free agency provided sms space is available. Stanley Bryant, Jermarcus Hardrick, Willie Jefferson, and Nic Demski are a few examples.

We need to get more four man pressure and we need some better offensive line play and we'll be back at the top of the division next year.

lol.you would trade injured players who are one year deals? Someone is going to give us an asset for the opportunity to rehab Schoen?
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on July 20, 2024, 11:40:39 PMlol.you would trade injured players who are one year deals? Someone is going to give us an asset for the opportunity to rehab Schoen?

Poor choice of words on my part. I just mean use the salary currently invested. We will have the opportunity to do so in either case.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on July 20, 2024, 08:45:56 PMThe biggest change is letting some of the new guys play vs the vets. Even if its a rotation.
Did Jones get any reps? Can Griffin play safety, can Cole play sam? we continuously let the vets away with mediocre plays that we would never allow a rookie.
 Its not just about the vets play its about seeing what we need and have.

I agree in part at least. I think the receivers are the primary issue at the moment. To that end we need to find an import that will be more productive than Clercius as a starter.  In theory, Lawler may be starting next week, so that would resolve that issue.

Rotating some combination of DB's with Alexander should be easy. Hallett might be a better option at this point but the very least getting some reps.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 20, 2024, 08:41:02 PMI wouldn't get rid of Collaros -- he's not playing well but I'm not sure how getting rid of him would help.

Hard pass on those trade ideas

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on July 20, 2024, 08:21:22 PMKolo, Lofton, Thomas, Bighill and Alexander should be backups only or sit.

Great way not to win another game

Throw Long Bannatyne

It comes down to consistency, Zach started slow, missed a game through injury and looked like he was back on track against CGY, only to derail again last night. The last 2 years he's won more than he's lost by far, but in his losses he's been very erratic.  It's like there's a switch going on and off in his head.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 21, 2024, 04:54:05 AMIt comes down to consistency, Zach started slow, missed a game through injury and looked like he was back on track against CGY, only to derail again last night. The last 2 years he's won more than he's lost by far, but in his losses he's been very erratic.  It's like there's a switch going on and off in his head.

You are going to have to unpack that statement.

Since Collaros arrived in 2019 following the trade deadline that year, he has taken the Bombers to 4 straight Grey Cups, was MOP in 2021 and 2022, led the team to records of 15 and 3 in 2022 and 14 and 4 in 2023, had 37 TDs and 13 Interceptions in 2022 and 33 TDs and 15 Interceptions in 2023.  He led the league in QB efficiency in 2023 and was 2nd in efficiency in 2022.

If you are only talking about 2024, then with the "erratic" comment you have to consider some pretty monumental changes to the team between the end of 2023 and the start of 2024.  Again, new players, defecting players, released players and injuries have played into the season we have experienced thus far.

To me, it's a bit unfair to say Zach started "slow" given those circumstances and the term "erratic" does not take into consideration those same circumstances.

My guess is that Zach will get substantially better if the new/replacement players can play at, or close to, a Grey Cup competing level.  In other words, I don't believe Zach is the problem or is slow or erractic.  Rather the rest of the team now has to catch up to him.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on July 21, 2024, 06:29:24 AMYou are going to have to unpack that statement.

Since Collaros arrived in 2019 following the trade deadline that year, he has taken the Bombers to 4 straight Grey Cups, was MOP in 2021 and 2022, led the team to records of 15 and 3 in 2022 and 14 and 4 in 2023, had 37 TDs and 13 Interceptions in 2022 and 33 TDs and 15 Interceptions in 2023.  He led the league in QB efficiency in 2023 and was 2nd in efficiency in 2022.

If you are only talking about 2024, then with the "erratic" comment you have to consider some pretty monumental changes to the team between the end of 2023 and the start of 2024.  Again, new players, defecting players, released players and injuries have played into the season we have experienced thus far.

To me, it's a bit unfair to say Zach started "slow" given those circumstances and the term "erratic" does not take into consideration those same circumstances.

My guess is that Zach will get substantially better if the new/replacement players can play at, or close to, a Grey Cup competing level.  In other words, I don't believe Zach is the problem or is slow or erractic.  Rather the rest of the team now has to catch up to him.

Yes as I said, I'm only referring to Zach's play in the last 2 seasons. It started with the first blowout to BC last season at home when he couldn't generate any offence and continued with upset losses to Ottawa and Hamilton, both teams forced to start rookie QB's in Crum and Powell.  The same inconsistency was present in the Elks game Dru Brown stepped in and saved against Tre Ford.

As for this season, Zach has only played one decent game, you can blame other aspects of the team or point the finger at Jake Thomas as some will, but it's pretty clear he is not performing at the level of consistency he's established in the past.  Can't really point the finger at anyone else in the loss to Sask. this weekend, he was unable to locate and hit any other receiver other than Brady coming out of the backfield with any consistency.  To put it simply he did not generate enough offence to win that game which has been a problem that's also been evident in the last 2 GC losses.

J5V

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 21, 2024, 04:54:05 AMIt comes down to consistency, Zach started slow, missed a game through injury and looked like he was back on track against CGY, only to derail again last night. The last 2 years he's won more than he's lost by far, but in his losses he's been very erratic.  It's like there's a switch going on and off in his head.
Agree. When he's right he's arguably the best in the league. When he's off he's a pick-machine. We desperately need him at his best for the rest of this season.
Go Bombers!

Waffler

Quote from: J5V on July 21, 2024, 02:57:40 PMAgree. When he's right he's arguably the best in the league. When he's off he's a pick-machine. We desperately need him at his best for the rest of this season.

Same thing has happened to lots of QB's. It means they are old. Int's are like the canary in the coal mine. The only thing Zach can do now is accept that he cannot play the way he always has and make adjustments. He can be effective, very good at times, but will not dominate anymore.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers