Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - July 19, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 17, 2024, 08:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichabod_crane

What has Kenny really proven though in his time in the CFL? That he is injury prone and waits until training camp begins to deal with his legal troubles? What are they TRULY paying him for after such a track record? He was once the top paid receiver in the CFL and now probably still top 5-7? Only 1 great season and his bursting on the scene in his rookie year helping Bombers to win 2 cups. Might be WAY over rated after that.

Sure when fully healthy and available he can do some circus catches, but if you miss almost half the year for the 3rd year in a row that does not compute! ;) Maybe just sit him out half the year and bring him in for the second half and playoffs at that rate?! ;)  Give me justification for his big contract and maybe you will convince me differently. Yeah show me what you have done lately and not 3-4 years ago. I do value loyalty to someone who helped you win championships, but that only can go on for so long. The Bombers are not a charity organization. One reason I dislike guaranteed pro sports contracts as some players just coast after signing the big one. HAPPENS ALL THE TIME! :(

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 19, 2024, 05:50:13 AMWhat has Kenny really proven though in his time in the CFL?

Yikes!  That definitely should be its own thread... that convo is going to take over this GDT!

I don't fully disagree with you, but I think I'm a little more optimistic than you.  I'm sure Kenny knows he has to start proving his worth.  He talks a huge game (he says he's the absolute best in CFL), but the stats aren't backing it up since he went to EDM.  Yada yada pro-rated full-year yada yada -- ya, until he plays the full year it's just guessing and projecting.

He'll need to start producing, and fast.  And he says he won't change his style... I think he should change the style that has him running his lithe bones into big D helmets!  Ask Willie J what availability is worth...
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 19, 2024, 07:59:26 AMYikes!  That definitely should be its own thread... that convo is going to take over this GDT!

I don't fully disagree with you, but I think I'm a little more optimistic than you.  I'm sure Kenny knows he has to start proving his worth.  He talks a huge game (he says he's the absolute best in CFL), but the stats aren't backing it up since he went to EDM.  Yada yada pro-rated full-year yada yada -- ya, until he plays the full year it's just guessing and projecting.

He'll need to start producing, and fast.  And he says he won't change his style... I think he should change the style that has him running his lithe bones into big D helmets!  Ask Willie J what availability is worth...

Hey I'm not knocking Kenny as a person as I don't even know him at all personally. I just see what is or what is not on the field. I'm not afraid to ask the questions others may shy away from. I don't wear rose coloured glasses when evaluating a player. I'm not a shi_ disturber, but I Call it as I see it whether right or wrong in the end. JUST MY OPINION! ;) I'm sure he realizes he has to start putting up or shutting up like anyone else with a realistic view of the situation.

Hey I'm all for optimism and personally I am a very positive person about life and living! :) So I hope it works out for him, but pro sports is harsh in that way often. Especially with very few guaranteed contracts in the CFL. You get too many bad breaks and you are toast.

Trash Talk can be a motivator, but in the end you have to back it up. It means ZIP if you can't back it up. Now Lawler alone cannot determine if he will get the ball and so on as it's a team sport, but it's the same for all players. When you DO get your chances you have to show up. The higher your pay cheque, the bigger the expectations.

Jesse

Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 19, 2024, 05:50:13 AMWhat has Kenny really proven though in his time in the CFL? That he is injury prone and waits until training camp begins to deal with his legal troubles? What are they TRULY paying him for after such a track record? He was once the top paid receiver in the CFL and now probably still top 5-7? Only 1 great season and his bursting on the scene in his rookie year helping Bombers to win 2 cups. Might be WAY over rated after that.

Sure when fully healthy and available he can do some circus catches, but if you miss almost half the year for the 3rd year in a row that does not compute! ;) Maybe just sit him out half the year and bring him in for the second half and playoffs at that rate?! ;)  Give me justification for his big contract and maybe you will convince me differently. Yeah show me what you have done lately and not 3-4 years ago. I do value loyalty to someone who helped you win championships, but that only can go on for so long. The Bombers are not a charity organization. One reason I dislike guaranteed pro sports contracts as some players just coast after signing the big one. HAPPENS ALL THE TIME! :(

I was starting to say this last year. I was thinking we should let Kenny go if it meant losing Schoen. Then he breaks his arm and secures another season he wont play the whole season.

His career highs are 1014 yards and 6 TDs. 

Both the Bombers and him as a player need him to absolutely light it up when he comes back.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 19, 2024, 07:59:26 AMYikes!  That definitely should be its own thread... that convo is going to take over this GDT!

Dalton doesn't do circus catches and I think they're over-rated, I'll take good YAC yards anyday over possession on the ground. A receiver that can catch almost any jump ball thrown becomes a crutch for his QB to rely on, making bad decisions inevitable.  Plus the receiver often slams into the turf or lands on his head making these receptions causing more bodily injury. We'll see if Zach ends up putting Ontaria Wilson on the IR with over reliance before Lawler returns as both receivers look similarly frail.

Ridermania

For any Bomber fans going to the game tonight:

Party in the Park kicks off at 4:30 pm with $5 beers available until 30 minutes before kickoff!

Gates Open - 6:00 PM | Kickoff - 7:30 PM

markf

Tony Jones some college highlights

https://youtu.be/5OYNE5BIJtw?si=LMIOJoqqXqq8WMfU

LXTSN

Quote from: markf on July 19, 2024, 05:12:01 PMTony Jones some college highlights

Nice highlight package!
Seems to have played a lot of DE but drops back into coverage at times too. Don't really see him as SAM or WIL because of his speed and size, but he would be a punishing MLB or blitzing LB it seems. (maybe Biggie future replacement??)

theaardvark

Quote from: LXTSN on July 19, 2024, 06:00:42 PMNice highlight package!
Seems to have played a lot of DE but drops back into coverage at times too. Don't really see him as SAM or WIL because of his speed and size, but he would be a punishing MLB or blitzing LB it seems. (maybe Biggie future replacement??)

He is on the DC as MLB#3...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: markf on July 19, 2024, 05:12:01 PMTony Jones some college highlights

Quote from: LXTSN on July 19, 2024, 06:00:42 PMNice highlight package!

Good size for a MLB, but doubt he'll play much more than ST today.  I'd rather judge him on his Elks highlights if he had any, over whatever he did in college.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 19, 2024, 06:13:43 PMGood size for a MLB, but doubt he'll play much more than ST today.  I'd rather judge him on his Elks highlights if he had any, over whatever he did in college.

Jones had 41 DTs, and 11 STs, with EE last season. Played in all 18 games, but only started in 8 or 9 games. From what I see at practice he has good speed and gets to the ball quickly. Happy to see him finally getting some playing time.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: LXTSN on July 19, 2024, 07:23:33 PMDid you think he would start??

No, you were mentioning DE, Sam and Wil, so I was just pointing out that he's listed as a Mike on our DC.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Overall, I feel good about this. If the Riders were healthy, I don't think we've hit our full stride yet and I would think they would be favoured. But they're riddled, including not having their starting QB, and we are trending up, so I expect to win tonight and get closer to .500.

Hoping to see even better play than last week, because, as I said, I think we can still be so much better. Man would I ever love to mop the floor with them tonight, but am not expecting it. Until the back-to-back weeks, that is ;)

Hoping for a star performance from Brady + some dimes in the end zone from Zach. Would love to see big pressure from the front 7 and notice Garbutt. Last week our secondary were ball hawks. Do we see that again?!

LFG.
#Ride?