Chris Jones fired

Started by Blue In BC, July 15, 2024, 09:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Is this Jones' last year of contract?  So this won't hurt EDM beyong 2024?  But now Jarius/Geroy have to take on all the extra job without any increase in pay.  I guess becoming King is worth it and they can take their huge payday in 2025?

And they don't even have to produce in 2024: everyone will give them a mulligan because they are "stuck with Jones' mess".  This doesn't necessarily help EDM start winning.  They might be in chaos the rest of the season.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 16, 2024, 02:09:10 AMI'm starting to wonder about this whole situation.  Did anyone see Bede's face after the missed FG and especially the botched KO?  They showed him sitting on the sidelines a lot.  He didn't look the way kickers who screw up and cost games look.  He was smiling, laughing, saying "ya!", just leaning back relaxing.  It was bizarre.

Remember how H<20 more letters> looked when missing his 5 kicks in 1 game?  Ya, he didn't look like that.  He looked suicidal, not insouciant.

I wonder if there was some internal setup to sabotage Jones.  It all seems very convenient.  A potential HoF kicker who has probably the best leg (strength) and basically never misses from inside the 40 suddenly misses a 31Y FG and then screws up a straight-down-mainstreet KO?

I would bet dollars to donuts the management already wanted him out and there were rumors or covert meetings and plans.  They just needed a better excuse: sheer incompetence in front of home fans was the perfect cover.

Remember, these are the same dolts who hired Jones in the first place.  They are doing their own CYA.  Take the spotlight off of their dumb decision 3 years ago, and the wasted 3 years.  I can't even recall one person on this forum or Riderfans that thought hiring Jones was a good idea back then.  It was one of the dumbest decisions in all of CFL history.

This whole situation stinks, but we'll probably never know.  Maybe we'll get a hint if Bede is retained, or given a bonus!
Lots of tin foil here

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on July 16, 2024, 02:43:41 AMLots of tin foil here

You know it!  Extra heavy duty on right now.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

You be the judge.  Does this look a dude who just single-handedly cost his team the game via 2 horrifically bad kicks?  Note the clock should someone think I'm taking this out of context.

Ya, I've never seen a kicker smile in this situation before.  Have you?

Never go full Rider!

dd

Like I said yesterday, no questions asked the dude would be gone the second the game is over for that. By accepting you can laugh and be happy when you just cost us the game, tells me you're a loser, and jones by not taking action left management with no option somebodies heads gotta roll at 0-5, and the guy who's putting up with this loser mentality is the first to go.

I wonder if he resurfaces as a DC next year or have we seen the last of him?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on July 16, 2024, 03:27:41 AMI wonder if he resurfaces as a DC next year or have we seen the last of him?

It's the last of him.  He got Kent Austin'd and won't be back.  I can see him maybe getting gigs in the USA, but not in the CFL.  Rightfully or not, he takes the entire fall for EDM's 3-year(plus!) failure.  The goat has been staked to the ground outside of town.  All EDM sins are washed away.  At least for now.

Not that it's a big part of it, but you wouldn't go from combined HC+GM salary of probably $600-$750k to $150k DC money anyway.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on July 15, 2024, 10:34:21 PMNot much needs to change on offense?? How about throwing the ball to Lewis before 90 percent of the game is over. To me, Jackson is the problem, but whatever, fire jones and then fire Jackson, doesn't matter to me, but when you misuse arguably the most prolific receiver in the game, you can start there with the axe!!

A lot of that is decided by MBT and from watching Lewis run lazy routes, I'm not sure I blame him.  He's never played with Lewis before so I guess he's not going to throw the ball to a slow moving double covered receiver if he has any other options. Once they're more comfortable with each other they'll probably build up some decent chemistry.

TecnoGenius

The ironic thing is, Jones had EDM losing by tighter margins than we (WPG) were losing by... nearly every game was lost by a FG or less.  Of course, we started winning.  But before that... was MOS's job on the line like Jones'?  Nope.

Either this was planned and this loss was just the last straw, or EDM braintrust made a very hasty panic decision.  There's no other option.

I'm not sure this helps EDM short term.  They could slide back into losing by huge margins.  The players may be totally checked out by next week.  We shall see.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

A little something I whipped up for the occasion...

Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Since 2022 - 8 wins, 33 losses.  That pretty much says it all.  It is astounding that he lasted this long and the 0 and 5 start in 2024 sealed the deal.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Tiger

Quote from: ModAdmin on July 16, 2024, 07:20:12 AMSince 2022 - 8 wins, 33 losses.  That pretty much says it all.  It is astounding that he lasted this long and the 0 and 5 start in 2024 sealed the deal.

Agreed. Not trending up in any way.

I hope they don't start winning for our sake!
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Jesse

Quote from: Tiger on July 16, 2024, 12:10:17 PMAgreed. Not trending up in any way.

I hope they don't start winning for our sake!

Yeah, we never seem to get the schedule for this. I remember we never got to play Ottawa one year when they were the league  worst, and now we don't play Edmonton until the absolute end of the year.
My wife is amazing!

bwiser

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 16, 2024, 03:07:49 AMYou be the judge.  Does this look a dude who just single-handedly cost his team the game via 2 horrifically bad kicks?  Note the clock should someone think I'm taking this out of context.

Ya, I've never seen a kicker smile in this situation before.  Have you?

This reminds of the Bomber who got caught on camera laughing when the Bombers were being blown out a few years ago. That player never played again. Does anyone remember the players name?

DM83

If you have time to joke around and smile after losing  by missing a fundamental kick you need to be off a professional roster.

Good for jones.  amazing stat stating esks more games by fewer than the Bombers.
But those coordinators, deserve some acrimony as well.  They should start talking trade. Is it just me but for the few years they had the slowest, lousiest o line men.

Imagine If McLeod had time to throw?

Edmonton and Hamilton scouts should share a ride and go get some big ole boys.

Waffler

Jones had lost the faith of the once loyal fanbase.  Three years of auditions for next year? This change at least gives the regular fan some hope, especially if they manage to win the next one. Winning is good and so is selling tickets.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers