Chris Jones fired

Started by Blue In BC, July 15, 2024, 09:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: bwiser on July 16, 2024, 02:39:50 PMThis reminds of the Bomber who got caught on camera laughing when the Bombers were being blown out a few years ago. That player never played again. Does anyone remember the players name?

Can't say I agree that Brandon Collier and others laughing it up behind Burke on the sidelines during an all-too common blowout back in the dumpster fire that was the 2012 season is anywhere near whatever Bede was doing the the other night. And certainly not based on two still photos taken from a broadcast.

IIRC, Collier never played again because he was placed on the 9-game injured list after that embarrassing loss in Calgary.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

theaardvark

Jones has been a CFL trainwreck since the Duron Carter conversion. 

He will end up as a Div 1 D coordinator making more money, but getting no headlines. 

Its was reported that they have to pay him for 12 months after being let go, so his $SMS hit continues next year.  That's a lot of $$$ they have to replace for free, hence using existing staff. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on July 16, 2024, 05:40:33 PMJones has been a CFL trainwreck since the Duron Carter conversion. 

I would say his troubles started when his head got too big after winning his first championship as a HC in 2015.

Straight up hubris.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Pete

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on July 16, 2024, 06:01:25 PMI would say his troubles started when his head got too big after winning his first championship as a HC in 2015.

Straight up hubris.
and finished based on the last game decisions including;
Not having bede just kick deep rather than squib
Not running down the clock on 3rd down , maybe not to 0 sec but at least to 3
Putting in moncrief with one weeks practice after not playing for how long
continually changing up the roster, on defense it showed they looked like they had zero communication going on

It just the latest in questionable decision making (i still have no understanding of why they traded ceresna for gittens..and now they have no rush)

1chad

Not surprising that Jones got fired.  Probably waited until they can afford the cap hit.  Edmonton has talented players, they just don't seem to be able to come together as a team.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on July 16, 2024, 05:40:33 PMIts was reported that they have to pay him for 12 months after being let go, so his $SMS hit continues next year.  That's a lot of $$$ they have to replace for free, hence using existing staff.

Edit: was wrong on the info, see new post farther below

This confuses me.  I'm pretty sure this is Jones' year 3 of a 3 year contract.  That would mean he could be cut in the off-season with zero SMS hit.  Right?

But if they cut him early they owe him the promised year 3 salary and some made up out of thin air part-of-year-4 salary?

Does that make sense to anyone?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on July 16, 2024, 08:56:34 PMNot having bede just kick deep rather than squib

Did Jones call the squib?  Or did Jones call the normal KO?  How can we know?

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faUlfRmcVXw

Jones says the plan was for Bede to hoof it through the EZ to get a point if he could.  No squib plan.  It would be a hoofer lowish-trajectory KO.  Either they get the point, or at least the ball is super deep, then cover can lay back in "prevent ST" to just stop the returner from getting much beyond the 45.

Everyone needs to remember a return from the 10 or 20 (normal for the CFL) would easily take 5s, which would only leave time on the clock for a hail Mary, NOT time for a pass and then a FG.

Not bleeding the clock was the right move.  Literally the only way you lose with 8s left is with a botched KO or a KO return TD.  The Dru 20Y pass only helps you if you have at least 6s+ on the clock.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 17, 2024, 02:53:53 AMThis confuses me.  I'm pretty sure this is Jones' year 3 of a 3 year contract.  That would mean he could be cut in the off-season with zero SMS hit.  Right?

But if they cut him early they owe him the promised year 3 salary and some made up out of thin air part-of-year-4 salary?

Does that make sense to anyone?

The loss of revenue and fans probably supercedes any salary implications by letting Jones finish out the season.  Paying fans in the seats is what drives the future and once fans leave, it takes a while to recover them.  Remember over 3 years they had a record of 8 - 33.  That is not leading to a sustainable future.  They probably should have pulled the trigger before the season started but here we are and the right decision was made I think. 
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

That post-firing interview with the owner/prez/whatever was pretty telling.  He said they had been making contingency plans since last season (paraphrasing).  All they needed was an excuse to finally do the deed.

Well, no one can say they didn't give him more than enough rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmOVGKNPGA4
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

2&Out Podcast said Jones was on a 4-year deal, with a special 12-month max severance.  So that's why Jones will get paid on the cap for another 12 months, but not beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9og_9AL1ZY&t=17s
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 17, 2024, 02:54:34 AMDid Jones call the squib?  Or did Jones call the normal KO?  How can we know?

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faUlfRmcVXw

Jones says the plan was for Bede to hoof it through the EZ to get a point if he could.  No squib plan.  It would be a hoofer lowish-trajectory KO.  Either they get the point, or at least the ball is super deep, then cover can lay back in "prevent ST" to just stop the returner from getting much beyond the 45.

Everyone needs to remember a return from the 10 or 20 (normal for the CFL) would easily take 5s, which would only leave time on the clock for a hail Mary, NOT time for a pass and then a FG.

Not bleeding the clock was the right move.  Literally the only way you lose with 8s left is with a botched KO or a KO return TD.  The Dru 20Y pass only helps you if you have at least 6s+ on the clock.

I believe that the call was for a knuckleball, to limit the return.  Deep but unpredictable bounce so that the returner can't get north/south on it fast.  Problem with a knucklball, as an basebal catcher will tell you, is that no one knows where it is going...  and Bede had an unfortunate bounce if the absolutely worst direction.  Would a deep, straight ball been a better choice with the strength of Bede's leg?  I'm sure Jones must think that now...

That said, Jones gets paid for another year to do nothing.  I feel sorry for anyone who feels sorry for him.  He made his bed... and crapped in it.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on July 17, 2024, 02:34:43 PMI believe that the call was for a knuckleball, to limit the return.  Deep but unpredictable bounce so that the returner can't get north/south on it fast.  Problem with a knucklball, as an basebal catcher will tell you, is that no one knows where it is going...  and Bede had an unfortunate bounce if the absolutely worst direction.  Would a deep, straight ball been a better choice with the strength of Bede's leg?  I'm sure Jones must think that now...

That said, Jones gets paid for another year to do nothing.  I feel sorry for anyone who feels sorry for him.  He made his bed... and crapped in it.

Deadman walking Jones looks like he already knew his fate, but besides that he says in the video below Bede tried to overkick the ball and missed, same thing can happen in golf.

Pete

Quote from: theaardvark on July 17, 2024, 02:34:43 PMI believe that the call was for a knuckleball, to limit the return.  Deep but unpredictable bounce so that the returner can't get north/south on it fast.  Problem with a knucklball, as an basebal catcher will tell you, is that no one knows where it is going...  and Bede had an unfortunate bounce if the absolutely worst direction.  Would a deep, straight ball been a better choice with the strength of Bede's leg?  I'm sure Jones must think that now...

his directions were to kick it as hard as he can to get the ball deep. The comparison was made to overswinging in baseball or golf which seldom turns out good, Its only partially on Jones as you expect a kicker like bede to execute, but just another nail.

Stats Junkie

How long will it be before the Elks have a clearance sale on black sideline gear?
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71