Montreal @ Winnipeg Season opener.

Started by Pigskin, June 02, 2024, 08:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Mondays practice should be interesting. Will BO20 be at practice. What will our injury list look like. Who will be returning kicks. Are we bring in any players released from other teams.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

We know that Bighill, Lawson, Noah Hallett and Parker will be moved to the 6 game IR. There might be a few others moved to the 1 game IR.

I think the return game is a work in progress and will be done by committee. No way to tell with certainty who will likely carry most of the load.

Generally I don't think we'll bring in any players from other teams immediately. OTOH the mix on our PR is a bit strange so anything is possible. I was almost certain we'd keep the Canadian punter on the PR as development depth for example.

It would be good to get some practice reports this week. Who is working with the 1st team:  1 receiver, 1 DB, MLB, SAM and DL are all somewhat in flux. The roster includes many possibilities at the moment. There were 7 import DL shown on the roster?

We're really going to need a depth chart. So many new players and 8 of them are changing jersey number to boot.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

My pure guess:

COLLAROS (Streveller Wilson)
OLIVEIRA (Augustine Chris-Ike)
BRYANT  DOBSON  KOLANKOWSKI  NEUFELD (Wallace)  LOFTON
LAWLER  JOHNSON (Clercius)  DEMSKI  SCHOEN  WOLITARSKY

JEFFERSON  THOMAS (Schmekel)  FOX (Woods)  HABA (Garbutt)
WILSON (Cadwallader Charbonneau)  GEMMEL (Gauthier Ayers)  COLE (Kramdi Karamoko)
BRIDGES  NICHOLS  HALLETT (Kelly)  HOLM  FORD (Bonds)

Castillo  Sheahan  Benson
Mitchell

IR: Bighill  Parker  Alexander   Eli  Lawson  Kornelson  Hallett

pdirks67

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 02, 2024, 10:45:34 PMMy pure guess:

WILSON (Cadwallader Charbonneau)  GEMMEL (Gauthier Ayers)  COLE (Kramdi Karamoko)

Mitchell

IR: Bighill  Parker  Alexander  Eli  Lawson  Kornelson  Hallett

I assume that Ayers would be ahead of Gemmel at MLB as Gemmel was moved to the PR. Mind you, I don't know if the coaching staff sees Ayers as a true MLB.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 02, 2024, 10:45:34 PMMy pure guess:

Mitchell

IR: Bighill  Parker  Alexander   Eli  Lawson  Kornelson  Hallett

We put Johnson on the PR. I was suspicious that Alexander might be going to IR so we'll see how that shakes out.

If Eli goes to IR, then we're really thin on the OL for Canadian depth and depth overall unless there is movement from the PR and possible ratio change.

Can't really tell who is really starting where until we see the IR lists. It could be scary on defence in particular.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on June 02, 2024, 11:29:43 PMDerek Taylor put his guess at the depth chart here:

https://x.com/dtonob/status/1797314369535308180?s=46&t=8CnDJGqaCBCZBxQBGwVX4Q

Sounds about right. The timing regarding whether there are a few injuries to be dealt with in the short term may alter what happens game one.

If Alexander is out for game 1 as an example, we could have as many as 10 Canadians to choose to start or sub in an import.  All of this means our choices for the DI's is in play.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

If Wilson is out, as well as Biggie, then I have no confidence in our starting LB corps going into week 1 and beyond.  I know The Mafia loves to say "next man up" and say it's all fine to play more NATs, but we all know it's not.  Not when it's both WILL and MAC.

Unless our DT run stop is magically as good as 2017-2018 WPG, we're going to be eviscerated in the run, and probably in the short pass to the flat.  And since our DT and whole DL will have a ton of rookies/sophomores of questionable starting capability, the chances of this are slim to none.

As such, do we now seriously go out and look at 3+ year starting-capable MLBs?  Find a way to sign Clements, who knows the system?  Anyone still couch-sitting in FA?  Or other "retirees" who can be enticed?

I seem to be the only one harping on this, but I think game 1 is a critical must-win game.  It sets the entire tone for the "WPG is the best and MTL just lucked into a win in a 3-down situation" mindset.  I don't want to see us hamstrung without a true, vet "QB of the defense".  (And I love Gauthier, but he's not that guy outside of short-term injury replacement.)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

The current chart guesses posit 9 starting NATs.  Insanity.  Where are the scouting ELC gems like Alford and Schoen were for us?  We used to find one every 2 years.  We are overdue for another one!!  Ugh...
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 03, 2024, 08:13:23 AMThe current chart guesses posit 9 starting NATs.  Insanity.  Where are the scouting ELC gems like Alford and Schoen were for us?  We used to find one every 2 years.  We are overdue for another one!!  Ugh...

Maybe let us play a game before rendering the scouting for 2024 ineffective? Did either of those guys light up the pre-season so good they were household names before week 1?

Just a thought.

DM83

Looks like the Jets scouting staff was  bringing in guys.  Does nit look good.
Is this the year we loose Zach.  No linebackers. Yikes.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 03, 2024, 08:13:23 AMThe current chart guesses posit 9 starting NATs.  Insanity.  Where are the scouting ELC gems like Alford and Schoen were for us?  We used to find one every 2 years.  We are overdue for another one!!  Ugh...

The depth chart actually lists 10 starting Canadians but it also lists 60 players including everyone on our PR list. Only the 4 players we know are injured are not on the chart: Bighill, Lawson, Parker and Noah Hallett.

So I think it's more of an option list of where everyone might line up if and when they dress. We'll see what the official DC looks like later in the week.

It's interesting and somewhat helpful in other ways I suppose.

All of Kramdi, Gauthier, Thomas and Ford are choices that could start. Ford is the most likely to start but I'm not sure which of the others WILL start? The best thing I could suggest is that the others are veterans on the team. The depth behind them includes a bunch of rookies or 2nd year players.

I'd think if we didn't lose 3 starters on defence, we see a different look.  It is what it is.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

peg_city

Quote from: DM83 on June 03, 2024, 12:14:21 PMLooks like the Jets scouting staff was  bringing in guys.  Does nit look good.
Is this the year we loose Zach.  No linebackers. Yikes.

Our defence has some major holes

Blue In BC

Two practices and a walk thru. IIRC there were 10 starters that didn't see one rep in either pre season game. Some hardly participated in TC practices either!!!

This will be a big test in ability to prepare on short notice.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BomberFan73

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 03, 2024, 07:57:24 AMIf Wilson is out, as well as Biggie, then I have no confidence in our starting LB corps going into week 1 and beyond.  I know The Mafia loves to say "next man up" and say it's all fine to play more NATs, but we all know it's not.  Not when it's both WILL and MAC.

Unless our DT run stop is magically as good as 2017-2018 WPG, we're going to be eviscerated in the run, and probably in the short pass to the flat.  And since our DT and whole DL will have a ton of rookies/sophomores of questionable starting capability, the chances of this are slim to none.

As such, do we now seriously go out and look at 3+ year starting-capable MLBs?  Find a way to sign Clements, who knows the system?  Anyone still couch-sitting in FA?  Or other "retirees" who can be enticed?

I seem to be the only one harping on this, but I think game 1 is a critical must-win game.  It sets the entire tone for the "WPG is the best and MTL just lucked into a win in a 3-down situation" mindset.  I don't want to see us hamstrung without a true, vet "QB of the defense".  (And I love Gauthier, but he's not that guy outside of short-term injury replacement.)

I agree with most of what you said, except the bolded.
In no way is this a "must win". The team has shown that it is willing to go into the first few weeks feeling things out and treating it almost like an extended training camp for those hopefulls still on the roster/PR.
Personally I'm not too high on this team right now, too much uncertainty. But it's not how you start a season that is important.