Montreal @ Winnipeg Season opener.

Started by Pigskin, June 02, 2024, 08:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 03, 2024, 07:57:24 AMIf Wilson is out, as well as Biggie, then I have no confidence in our starting LB corps going into week 1 and beyond.  I know The Mafia loves to say "next man up" and say it's all fine to play more NATs, but we all know it's not.  Not when it's both WILL and MAC.

Unless our DT run stop is magically as good as 2017-2018 WPG, we're going to be eviscerated in the run, and probably in the short pass to the flat.  And since our DT and whole DL will have a ton of rookies/sophomores of questionable starting capability, the chances of this are slim to none.

As such, do we now seriously go out and look at 3+ year starting-capable MLBs?  Find a way to sign Clements, who knows the system?  Anyone still couch-sitting in FA?  Or other "retirees" who can be enticed?

I seem to be the only one harping on this, but I think game 1 is a critical must-win game.  It sets the entire tone for the "WPG is the best and MTL just lucked into a win in a 3-down situation" mindset.  I don't want to see us hamstrung without a true, vet "QB of the defense".  (And I love Gauthier, but he's not that guy outside of short-term injury replacement.)

Stop ******** on Canadian players.  The CFL was at it's best when it started a minimum of 10, instead of 7.  The talent has only gotten better.

Even back in 2009-2010, the Rider's and Al's started around 9 Canadians each.

BBRT

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 03, 2024, 07:57:24 AMIf Wilson is out, as well as Biggie, then I have no confidence in our starting LB corps going into week 1 and beyond.  I know The Mafia loves to say "next man up" and say it's all fine to play more NATs, but we all know it's not.  Not when it's both WILL and MAC.

Unless our DT run stop is magically as good as 2017-2018 WPG, we're going to be eviscerated in the run, and probably in the short pass to the flat.  And since our DT and whole DL will have a ton of rookies/sophomores of questionable starting capability, the chances of this are slim to none.

As such, do we now seriously go out and look at 3+ year starting-capable MLBs?  Find a way to sign Clements, who knows the system?  Anyone still couch-sitting in FA?  Or other "retirees" who can be enticed?

I seem to be the only one harping on this, but I think game 1 is a critical must-win game.  It sets the entire tone for the "WPG is the best and MTL just lucked into a win in a 3-down situation" mindset.  I don't want to see us hamstrung without a true, vet "QB of the defense".  (And I love Gauthier, but he's not that guy outside of short-term injury replacement.)

I think we should wait and see what developes. I do not see this as a critical must-win game. Long season ahead - lots of things can happen as it relates to all positions let along the MB slot. I would prefer that we build toward the later half of the season and just see how things evolve.

Waffler

Quote from: BBRT on June 03, 2024, 04:05:00 PMI think we should wait and see what developes. I do not see this as a critical must-win game. Long season ahead - lots of things can happen as it relates to all positions let along the MB slot. I would prefer that we build toward the later half of the season and just see how things evolve.

Yes, not a must win. Eastern team. I think there is a good amount of fan anxiety, wondering what kind of team we will see. A lot of changes. We learned very little from the pre-season.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

I don't think Clement was ever a solution at MLB. While I'd prefer we had an alternative besides Gauthier, he certainly has experience with our defence. The DL has to be an improvement over 2023 even though it's not exactly clear who is starting and whether 1 or 2 DI's are DL players.

By my count we have 3 too many bodies on the AR at the moment. That means we may have some injuries which have to be made by Wednesday. It also could mean we have some shuffling between the AR and PR and possibly the deletion of a couple of bodies?

If anybody is actually a practice maybe they can get us a heads up and who looks to be " out " and who 1st string starters are at the moment.

Ayers is shown as depth at MLB. He's 20 lbs lighter than Bighill. He's also taller than either Bighill or Gauthier by 4 inches. So he's a different body type.

I didn't see him much in pre-season so have no idea of his speed, hitting power and football IQ.

Anybody have any idea of his readiness to potentially start?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Waffler on June 03, 2024, 04:12:37 PMYes, not a must win. Eastern team. I think there is a good amount of fan anxiety, wondering what kind of team we will see. A lot of changes. We learned very little from the pre-season.

Not too worried, will wait to see how they play and if they have any deficiencies, have to put ultimate faith in the coaching staff to know what they're doing.  Starting Gauthier and Kramdi should not be a problem, they've played before and can handle their roles, bigger concern with rookies(Ford too)in the secondary busting coverage leading to big gains and TD's.

If the Als play a great game, they have a legitimate chance of beating the Bombers, which is also a possibility.

The Zipp

From Ed Tait:

Myron Mitchell handling punt return duties at practice

Brandon Alexander at safety, Bonds at CB

BO's workload limited so far

Lofton at RT, Dobson at LG, Ontaria Wilson at Reciever

The Zipp

From DT:

Collaros just threw the most ridiculous pass...scrambling, fit it into a ridiculously tiny window with a defender in tight coverage.
I'm still laughing in disbelief at how great that throw was.

From Bauming:

Zach Collaros just made one of the most impressive throws I have ever seen in-person. Impossibly small window to hit Johnny Augustine on and out-and-up down the sideline while draped in coverage. Incredible. #Bombers

Pigskin

Myron made the most sense to return kicks.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

LXTSN

Quote from: Pigskin on June 03, 2024, 06:52:46 PMMyron made the most sense to return kicks.
Just started watching his highlights (there aren't many clips out there), and he does have that burst that we're looking for. He also isn't tiny at 6'1" 180lbs. He could grow into a really nice fit for our offence going forward!

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 03, 2024, 04:30:09 PMNot too worried, will wait to see how they play and if they have any deficiencies, have to put ultimate faith in the coaching staff to know what they're doing.  Starting Gauthier and Kramdi should not be a problem, they've played before and can handle their roles, bigger concern with rookies(Ford too)in the secondary busting coverage leading to big gains and TD's.

If the Als play a great game, they have a legitimate chance of beating the Bombers, which is also a possibility.

Don't be concerned about Ford.  The guy is in his third year or second in you don't include his NFL year.  He was drafted because he has the speed to keep up with recievers.

LXTSN

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 03, 2024, 04:30:09 PMNot too worried, will wait to see how they play and if they have any deficiencies, have to put ultimate faith in the coaching staff to know what they're doing.  Starting Gauthier and Kramdi should not be a problem, they've played before and can handle their roles, bigger concern with rookies(Ford too)in the secondary busting coverage leading to big gains and TD's.

I'd say there is a good chance the Als beat the Bombers on Thursday. We're favored by 6.5 points but I don't think we will be as ready as they will be.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: LXTSN on June 03, 2024, 09:00:49 PMI'd say there is a good chance the Als beat the Bombers on Thursday. We're favored by 6.5 points but I don't think we will be as ready as they will be.
We shall see. I'm curious you are basing that statement on what?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on June 03, 2024, 09:07:19 PMWe shall see. I'm curious you are basing that statement on what?

I could absolutely see an upset. I think there's going to be a lot of parity in the CFL this year and it's going to be hard to predict each week.

We've a brand new defensive coordinator, special teams coach and more roster turnover since 2019. We'll be a competitive, fun team but prepare for some ups and downs. This is not going to be a 2021 steamroll.

The Zipp

As much as it pains me to type this the ALS are the grey cup champions. They haven't lost in a number of games. This could go either way especially given it's the first week and our starters haven't played much.

Hoping for sad face Fajardo on Thursday

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on June 03, 2024, 08:40:43 PMDon't be concerned about Ford.  The guy is in his third year or second in you don't include his NFL year.  He was drafted because he has the speed to keep up with recievers.

In reality Ford has played in one pro football game in his entire career, I'm sure he'll be ok in the long-term but there maybe a few hiccups along the way.