Hometown boy playing for his hometown team as the starting running back.

Started by ModAdmin, November 15, 2023, 09:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 22, 2023, 01:46:18 PM
Sounds like a man who knows what he's worth to me.

Brady O is the best RB in the league and he's Canadian. He's going to double his salary next year if he's in the CFL.

If so he would become the highest paid RB in CFL history, don't know if the Bombers can afford $200k+, but maybe it's time for RB's to be compensated fairly.  I guess one can look at it as Schoen is more easily replaced than Brady.

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 22, 2023, 03:16:38 PM
He should get about another $100K over his current deal.

The highest paid RB contract is around 165k, I think.

Assuming he sets the market under a higher cap, the ceiling still has to be around 190ish, right?
My wife is amazing!

TBURGESS

Quote from: Jesse on November 22, 2023, 05:14:32 PM
The highest paid RB contract is around 165k, I think.

Assuming he sets the market under a higher cap, the ceiling still has to be around 190ish, right?

Double may be an over statement on my part, but he's 26, Canadian, set the rushing and TD standard in 2023. He should set the new high pay standard for RB's. He's Mike Pringle with a Canadian passport. If we don't 'overpay' him, someone else will.

BTW: What's his contract number this year?
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 22, 2023, 05:43:45 PM
Double may be an over statement on my part, but he's 26, Canadian, set the rushing and TD standard in 2023. He should set the new high pay standard for RB's. He's Mike Pringle with a Canadian passport. If we don't 'overpay' him, someone else will.

BTW: What's his contract number this year?

I think he was paid around $115k, same as Augustine. IMO Brady either goes to the NFL or signs with the Bombers, no other CFL team is going to provide him with a good enough O-line to make him look good, and he knows it.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 22, 2023, 05:52:47 PM
I think he was paid around $115k, same as Augustine. IMO Brady either goes to the NFL or signs with the Bombers, no other CFL team is going to provide him with a good enough O-line to make him look good, and he knows it.

Agree, I think Brady knows he has it pretty good here. At the end of the day, everyone is pretty emotional right now. Our Bomber border has been pretty emotional the last couple of days. But, he says he's ready to sign a new deal here in Winnipeg before he leaves for the winter.   
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 22, 2023, 03:16:38 PM
He should get about another $100K over his current deal.

I think AH was getting $200-$220 at his peak in WPG, right?

So Brady probably gets $180k if he accepts the hometown discount, $200 if he doesn't.  Most teams will not offer $220 or more, as not only do you need to pay Brady, but you need to pay and dress a capable NAT backup.

If he "pulls a Kenny" and goes to an EDM-like team, he'll have a major down year, only harm his NFL value, and be depressed losing all year.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 22, 2023, 06:46:45 PM
I think AH was getting $200-$220 at his peak in WPG, right?

I believe he capped out around 165.

Stanback is currently the highest paid at 170 (if he earned his bonuses).
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

I am at $175 -180, 3 year deal. Brady knows he needs a good OL to run the ball.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TBURGESS

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/18/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-running-back-and-fullbacks-for-the-2023-season/
1) William Stanback, Montreal Alouettes (A)

Hard money: $160,000
Maximum value: $170,000

7) Brady Oliveira, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (N)

Hard money: $100,000
Maximum value: $114,000

I could see Brady O @ $180K + Bonuses
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

TecnoGenius

I could have sworn we used to talk about AH33 @$200k in 2020-2021 here.  Maybe he was in the 2020 signing before the season was cancelled and renegotiated lower like many did in 2021.

I can't see Brady earning less than $180-$200k here next year.  Not only is he worth roughly what AH was in terms of value to the team, but there's been a bucketload of inflation since 2021.  If we sign him @$180k then we're getting a good deal, even if we have to put him on a salary ladder +$20k every subsequent year.
Never go full Rider!

buckzumhoff

I wouldn't pay too much for a running back. I like Oliveira but can't be making all the money we need to sign Brown sign a few receivers. Some players have a good year but I think you still maybe get an increase but that's about it

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: buckzumhoff on November 23, 2023, 12:18:31 AM
I wouldn't pay too much for a running back. I like Oliveira but can't be making all the money we need to sign Brown sign a few receivers. Some players have a good year but I think you still maybe get an increase but that's about it
The Bombers simply won't be able to afford Dru who is poised to sign for significant $$ elsewhere.

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/22/zach-collaros-in-right-situation-dru-brown-could-be-best-qb-in-cfl/
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 23, 2023, 01:27:20 AM
The Bombers simply won't be able to afford Dru who is poised to sign for significant $$ elsewhere.

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/22/zach-collaros-in-right-situation-dru-brown-could-be-best-qb-in-cfl/

Could be the Argos if Chad Kelly doesn't report to TC, wouldn't that be a SOB.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 23, 2023, 03:10:39 AM
Could be the Argos if Chad Kelly doesn't report to TC, wouldn't that be a SOB.

If the Argos lose Kelly, they will sign Bethel Thompson
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.