the command center

Started by Pete, September 06, 2023, 10:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

I am of the opinion that we should eliminate or reduce the command center and challenges with the exception of dangerous plays.
My reasoning is as follows:
1. It slows down the whole pace of the game, the bulk of challenges are not successful anyway
.2. over the course of a season things balance out anyways
3.  if a play takes 10 minutes to review why is it overturned? originally the command center was to reverse obvious miscalls
4.  it seems that even when the command center does get involved there is just as much controversy as to whether they got it right (which seems to be the main argument for having it, i.e. we want to get it right)
i5. it takes away from the fan experience..a td is scored and the home team wants to cheer/celebrate... then the dreaded PA with "The play is under review..."
6. A lot of times challenges are nonsensical, its a hail Mary in the last qtr when your team is behind and the coach is
hoping that there is something illegal.
Dies anyone else have thoughts, as  I have been frustrated by a number of the cc calls this year. If we do continue i, it needs more transparency similar to xfl. Even if we had a ref on standby in tsn to explain the decision it would be better

TecnoGenius

As much as we moan, command has been getting most things right this season.  It's not so much that they get something blatantly wrong as that they sometimes upset precedent and/or are inconsistent.

The non-called DPI they said was indeed not DPI a couple of weeks ago, when the DB did a big jersey pull on a jumping player, is probably the worst call this year, upsetting years of precedent.

Why we need command is to avoid situations like the NFL sees all the time where a fake DPI is called or a horrifically egregious DPI is not called, and the game (especially superbowls) are won or lost on that one call.  As a fan of the sport I can tell you those atrocities create the worst feeling of "rigged" you can imagine.  It's part of why I can't stand the NFL.

The refs need to be kept "honest", and there are bad apples among them, and that is why MOS usually holds his flag until the 4th Q.  Thus command is a necessity.

The "fishing expeditions" are drastically reduced since they outlawed challenging a non-called IC.  It's really only Dickenson The Greater that does those now.

One idea to reduce "fishing" would be to allow a team to carry over one unused challenge from last game to the next one.  So if you don't use your challenge, or you challenge once and win, you can have 2 failed challenges the next week.  That would stop last-minute fishing.  Currently it's kind of like taking a 15 yard UR on D when the other team's O is at the 1YL... who cares?  Introduce repercussions beyond that game/play and people will behave more smartly.

You are 100% correct that we should have the complete command-center transparency like XFL/AAF does/did, with cameras in their booth and mics explaining what they are seeing and why they are ruling a certain way, and what rulebook rules are being applied.  Maybe they just don't want us to see Bradbury in his jammies watching the game on his 13" Citizen black & white dial TV, with half-eaten cheetos spilled all over his belly while his wife yells at him to go mow the lawn?
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

The lack of consistency is what chaps my hide the most.

I'd wager the league investing in better technology at all stadiums to get more angles and clearer views would go a long way in improving not only the command centre's capabilities, but its reputation as well.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on September 06, 2023, 10:20:23 PM
I am of the opinion that we should eliminate or reduce the command center and challenges with the exception of dangerous plays.
1. It slows down the whole pace of the game, the bulk of challenges are not successful anyway
3.  if a play takes 10 minutes to review why is it overturned? originally the command center was to reverse obvious miscalls
4.  it seems that even when the command center does get involved there is just as much controversy as to whether they got it right (which seems to be the main argument for having it, i.e. we want to get it right)
i5. it takes away from the fan experience..a td is scored and the home team wants to cheer/celebrate... then the dreaded PA with "The play is under review..."
6. A lot of times challenges are nonsensical, its a hail Mary in the last qtr when your team is behind and the coach is
Dies anyone else have thoughts, as  I have been frustrated by a number of the cc calls this year. If we do continue i, it needs more transparency similar to xfl. Even if we had a ref on standby in tsn to explain the decision it would be better

The main problem I see with the CC is the on-field officials are using it as a crutch by not making harder decisions, hoping the CC gets it right and bails them out.  They should officiate as if it doesn't exist, allowing the CC to step in occasionally when they see an obvious mistake.

blue_or_die

The system we have now is far from perfect, but I think we need more accountability for officiating, and not less.
#Ride?

bomb squad

Quote from: Pete on September 06, 2023, 10:20:23 PM

1. Slows it down a little bit. They usually go to the commercial break which would have had to happen anyway. So for the most part it just seems like it's slowing it down.
2. You may be right, but people are so not cool with blatant missed calls, balanced or not.
3. You have a point, although the long reviews are becoming less common.
4. It's the interference calls. They are so judgemental. That's why the NFL scrapped it. Doesn't mean they were correct to do so. Understanding of the rules is also an issue. The broadcast crew is of little help in that respect.
5. Yes it does. Agree.
6. Yup. Penalty for a lost challenge would help.

Yes. Transparency would go a long way. A former referee to assist the broadcast crew would help as well.

Overall on review? It's necessary and I think it works pretty good for the most part. They do get a lot of calls right. Too much focus on the negative. Refereeing football is very difficult.