Special teams, Special teams and No.8

Started by Austin85, September 04, 2023, 03:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nic16

From rewatching the game?

1. the BB were not even thinking about the possibility of a short kickoff to start the game.
2. ST coverage deteriorated as the game went on.
3. On the Alford return late in the 4th Holm and another BB tripped each other up in pursuit which allowed Alford an extra 15 yds.
4. The Riders punter hammered 2 long punts which again caught the BB off guard creating 2 singles. Angling the punt out inside the 20 was not even a thought. They knew the BB are struggling on returns and likely thought Parker might screw up.
5. The Riders pinned their ears back on coverage because the BB show no threat on returns.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Nic16 on September 06, 2023, 02:57:26 PM
From rewatching the game?

1. the BB were not even thinking about the possibility of a short kickoff to start the game.
2. ST coverage deteriorated as the game went on.
3. On the Alford return late in the 4th Holm and another BB tripped each other up in pursuit which allowed Alford an extra 15 yds.
4. The Riders punter hammered 2 long punts which again caught the BB off guard creating 2 singles. Angling the punt out inside the 20 was not even a thought. They knew the BB are struggling on returns and likely thought Parker might screw up.
5. The Riders pinned their ears back on coverage because the BB show no threat on returns.
Good points and does anyone know if Grant will be ready to play in the BB?    If not expect more of the same
Bomber fan for life

LXTSN

Even though it's only the opinion of one person, I value this website for insite into how our special teams are really doing. They offer up a well laid out power ranking with stats to back it up. This link is for the stats up to last week and they include punters, kickers, long snappers, kick offs, punt returns, kick returns and kick covers.
https://www.betweenthegoalposts.com/post/cfl-week-12-special-teams-power-rankings

As predicted we do rank dead last in a number of these categories, especially without Grant...
One stat I would draw your eyes to is Sheahan with 7 punts inside the 10-yard line on only 59 punts. I think this kid has great control with his foot even if he doesn't kick the furthest in the CFL.

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on September 06, 2023, 03:20:29 PM
Even though it's only the opinion of one person, I value this website for insite into how our special teams are really doing. They offer up a well laid out power ranking with stats to back it up. This link is for the stats up to last week and they include punters, kickers, long snappers, kick offs, punt returns, kick returns and kick covers.
https://www.betweenthegoalposts.com/post/cfl-week-12-special-teams-power-rankings

As predicted we do rank dead last in a number of these categories, especially without Grant...
One stat I would draw your eyes to is Sheahan with 7 punts inside the 10-yard line on only 59 punts. I think this kid has great control with his foot even if he doesn't kick the furthest in the CFL.

Thanks for that info. Really interesting. Just confirms what we knew I guess.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 06, 2023, 04:13:31 PM
Thanks for that info. Really interesting. Just confirms what we knew I guess.
No problem. It's sometimes hard to find the facts with special teams but this guy does a good job!

Most interesting stat to me is that Mike Benson has the lowest accuracy on long snaps by a wide margin actually!
I know Jackson was brought in as a long snapper originally. If we do need to replace Benson, this would be a good option.
Benson has made one tackle so far this year and only 2 all of last year. If he wasn't long snapping, there is no way he would play on special teams.
If we are trying find a weak link, I think that might be him.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on September 06, 2023, 03:49:44 AM
2023 ST Numbers.

Hallett 17
Cadwaller  14
Exume 10
Cole 9
Briggs 7
Maruo 6
Ja27 5
Kramdi 5
Wilson 4
Kelly 4.

Missing from 2022.  Miller 16, Ford 10, Hansen 9, Leggs 5.  That's 40  tackles not in the lineup. Parker also had 7 in 2022, none so far in 2023.

Exume 10 ST in 8 games. Looks like he is getting back to his 2019 numbers.

Missing Gauthier as well?  Training staff must have miscalculated his recovery if he's back on the 6 game for another stint, wonder if he was reinjured in the game he played or just needs more time?

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on September 06, 2023, 04:40:08 PM
No problem. It's sometimes hard to find the facts with special teams but this guy does a good job!

Most interesting stat to me is that Mike Benson has the lowest accuracy on long snaps by a wide margin actually!
I know Jackson was brought in as a long snapper originally. If we do need to replace Benson, this would be a good option.
Benson has made one tackle so far this year and only 2 all of last year. If he wasn't long snapping, there is no way he would play on special teams.

I think Jackson had a couple of LS's in pre season and IIRC didn't look that good. He also doesn't have an ST stat in 12 games and IMO seems to be very slow running downfield. He's 30 lbs heavier than Benson.

You'd think they would have given him a chance or two in garbage time.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BLUEBOMBER

Our kickoff/punt return coverage is crap. Has been all season long. Need to fix this now rather than off season if we have a chance at going back to the Grey Cup.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on September 06, 2023, 04:40:08 PM

Doubt Benson is a problem or Jackson is a solution, but if neither can do the job, 42 year old Chad Rempel is available.

LXTSN

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 06, 2023, 07:59:06 PM
Doubt Benson is a problem or Jackson is a solution, but if neither can do the job, 42 year old Chad Rempel is available.
Hahaha you're right that neither of them are the problem, but if we are looking for a weak link that can use an upgrade, we could definitely look in both their direction.

Lincoln Locomotive

wow....this definitely confirms what we have been harping on all season.....The Argos are far superior to us on STs and we'll see if Grant is back when we play them at home.     Last year I thought after Grant scored that amazing TD I thought that would have been enough to give us the win......didn't turn out that way and their STs blocked our last ditch FG attempt and it was game over.    TO define looks like the better team so far this season and Harris will have 5 GC rings should the Argos win back to back.
Bomber fan for life

barbk

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 05, 2023, 10:39:15 PM
I've been sour on Boudreau ever since the '22 GC.  I used to call him the Biff (Back to the Future) gang member with his goofy visor and glasses and pen chewing.  Of course with the clarifications on making fun of coaches/players, I have to refrain.

Its not a pen its a plastic stir stick....  (had a chuckle with this part of your comment)

Pigskin

I will go with Miller and Grant, return for the Toronto game.

Sask. Hamilton, Bye week, Toronto, BC, Bye Week, EE, Calgary. Playoffs. Not a bad schedule.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Yes, I've noticed that.  He even had 1 great placement kick in the LDC game.  I think he's only whiffed on the coffin 1-2 times this year (for a nasty penalty, of course).  He's very good at getting it to land in-bounds with a bucket of roll on it where it carries out.  He's also good at not giving away the direction pre-kick and the returner is sometimes caught on the wrong side.

The experiment with him isn't about hang time, it's about placement and trickery to try to avoid any return at all.  Jury is still out on whether this is better.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 06, 2023, 05:24:12 PM
I think Jackson had a couple of LS's in pre season and IIRC didn't look that good. He also doesn't have an ST stat in 12 games and IMO seems to be very slow running downfield. He's 30 lbs heavier than Benson.

Jackson isn't going to be gunning for anyone on ST.  I guess you need a beefy guy like that to flank the LS and stop the punt-block?  ST also needs guys who can be somewhat of a pylon directing the returner into the seam.  I haven't really paid much attention to him to see what he's doing there.
Never go full Rider!