Special teams, Special teams and No.8

Started by Austin85, September 04, 2023, 03:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horseman

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 05, 2023, 03:03:51 PM
LOL :D

You may laugh, but he is right, ST play is highly important. Against a good team (WF or GC) giving up field position on virtually every kick will cost us, that smile of yours will turn upside down. If nothing changes in our cover teams Flag this comment and we will talk about it after our last seasonal loss or win.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Horseman on September 05, 2023, 03:27:33 PM
You may laugh, but he is right, ST play is highly important. Against a good team (WF or GC) giving up field position on virtually every kick will cost us, that smile of yours will turn upside down. If nothing changes in our cover teams Flag this comment and we will talk about it after our last seasonal loss or win.

I agree ST dominance has been the Bombers special sauce over the past decade and it has become their greatest tool in controlling starting field position both ways.  It may be other teams are now catching up and it could be time to make an overhaul and bring in some fresh blood and enthusiasm, I would like to see Mike Miller become the STC next season. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Horseman on September 05, 2023, 03:27:33 PM

Championships aren't won in early September, so I'll gleefully laugh at a poster who doesn't do much but make new threads to complain.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Nic16

ST coverage, punting and kicking was an issue in the 2022 GC.

And now without Grant, returns has replaced kicking as an issue.

The Riders Special Teams produced 2 punt singles, a 52 yd FG and consistently better starting field position.

MOS knows better than anyone how important the role STs play in a game. Problem is can anything be done about it before this weekend??

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 04, 2023, 06:29:27 PM
That's a penalty. Inside the 10 yard line now. However it's better than letting the returner take it to mid field.

Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on September 04, 2023, 08:23:04 PM
Ok let?s

#31, 47, 34 there is three guys non contributors running by the returner, or so late to the tackle the play is over.  If we cut those guys no one would even know.

Don't include my man Cadwallader in there!  He's been making plays on ST all year.  When he hits, he brings the wood.  I think Cadwal will be around our team for a quite a long time.  Potential Briggs/Gauthier level longevity.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 04, 2023, 11:27:09 PM
A very telling stat....that's a lot of real estate to give your opponent.  You can easily see that this is costing us big time.....it's also a huge momentum killer when we score a TD and then lose whatever momentum we gained by letting them run it back to mid field on the ensuing KO!    

Ya, we basically lost the SSK game by letting SSK always start near FG range.  All they had to do most of the time is move the ball 20Y and it's 3 points for them.  It kind of felt like what we used to do to teams with Meddy... FG them to death.

Hall's "bend don't break" strategy works better when the opponent starts on their 30, not at the 55.  There's no room to bend from the 55 without giving up the FG.  And since his scheme is to give up a harder throw (like the wide out) on every down, a decent QB can easily get in FG range.

If we're going to put up TDs on most drives, that'll work out fine.  But not with our hit & miss O of late.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 04, 2023, 08:54:30 PM
I think we have an ST gameplan/coaching problem.

I've been sour on Boudreau ever since the '22 GC.  I used to call him the Biff (Back to the Future) gang member with his goofy visor and glasses and pen chewing.  Of course with the clarifications on making fun of coaches/players, I have to refrain.

It is a case of Boudreau getting a pass on weaker schemes (both ways) because Grant has busted so many TDs in the last couple of years?

There's more to ST than just Grant busting a TD every 3-4 games.  Maybe this has been coming for a while and we just chose not to notice?  I don't know.

I find it very odd that we suck so bad at coverage now.  I think we're the worst team in the league?  We used to be one of the best.  And with no return game of our own, you guys are right and it is hard to win games losing 100-200Y a game on the differential.  I guarantee there's some scheme in there that is costing us, and I've speculated that it's us denying the TD in return for giving up yards.  No risk, no reward.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on September 04, 2023, 08:23:04 PM
Ok let?s

#31, 47, 34 there is three guys non contributors running by the returner, or so late to the tackle the play is over.  If we cut those guys no one would even know.

Who else is in coverage?

What pisses me off is that coverage teams is just pride desire and hustle.  Can you identify anyone who actually wants to be a special teams tackler this year?

Holm is # 31 and a starter in the secondary. I don't know if he's not doing well on ST's but don't cut him, just take him off ST's if we have a better choice.  I don't see Jackson having any impact on ST's for example.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 06, 2023, 01:34:29 AM
Holm is # 31 and a starter in the secondary. I don't know if he's not doing well on ST's but don't cut him, just take him off ST's if we have a better choice.  I don't see Jackson having any impact on ST's for example.

Call me crazy but I have this funny feeling Holm is going to get some NFL looks despite his lack of size, his ability to cover receivers and knock the ball away cleanly is amazing.

DM83

Ok my bad, no Holm is fundamentally the best DB we have.
The guy I was thinking about was the back up safety.

Sorry boys.

Pigskin

2023 ST Numbers.

Hallett 17
Cadwaller  14
Exume 10
Cole 9
Briggs 7
Maruo 6
Ja27 5
Kramdi 5
Wilson 4
Kelly 4.

Missing from 2022.  Miller 16, Ford 10, Hansen 9, Leggs 5.  That's 40  tackles not in the lineup. Parker also had 7 in 2022, none so far in 2023.

Exume 10 ST in 8 games. Looks like he is getting back to his 2019 numbers.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 06, 2023, 03:49:44 AM
2023 ST Numbers.

Hallett 17
Cadwaller  14
Exume 10
Cole 9
Briggs 7
Maruo 6
Ja27 5
Kramdi 5
Wilson 4
Kelly 4.

Missing from 2022.  Miller 16, Ford 10, Hansen 9, Leggs 5.  That's 40  tackles not in the lineup. Parker also had 7 in 2022, none so far in 2023.

Exume 10 ST in 8 games. Looks like he is getting back to his 2019 numbers.

Interesting. Hallett is doing really well. Keeping in mind that these totals are for only 12 games.  Do you have the complete list for 2022 to see a similar comparison?

The problem is not just only the number of tackles but the average return yardage and where tackles are made of course.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Miller and Hansen back in the lineup will be huge for ST, IMO.

And obviously Grant. I'm still crusty how he was plugged into the offense needlessly and got injured as a result.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 06, 2023, 01:12:58 PM
Miller and Hansen back in the lineup will be huge for ST, IMO.

And obviously Grant. I'm still crusty how he was plugged into the offense needlessly and got injured as a result.

Last week Hansen was participating in practice but didn't sound quite ready. We'll see if he's not shown as limited all week. Getting him back would be great but he's still a question mark for the moment.

I'm not sure that Miller will even be practising this week. I don't even know what his injury was so I'm beginning to doubt we see him back on the field this season ( or next ).  However he never practised much last year and always dressed so we can't exactly rule him out if he doesn't practice.

Just from a morale point of view he'd boost the entire team. Gotta love that guy.
2019 Grey Cup Champions