Blue Bombers Roster Moves - June 3

Started by Sir Blue and Gold, June 03, 2023, 11:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 05, 2023, 11:30:37 PM
What is Wilson's problem anyhow?  I can't recall... did we ever find out?  Seems like an awfully long time.  I guess it's like BA when he started the season on the PR.  Did we know Wilson was going to spend season-weeks on the IR??  And we still didn't sniff around for FA IMP WILLs?

Love the guy, but holy smokes get out of the tub!  He's turning into Wild part 2!  What's it with these WILLs and tubs?

Achilles in 2022. Non contact injury chasing down someone to the sideline. I would think we knew he'd be out to start the season. Just like we knew BA was going to miss the early season last year. Whether we considered looking at WIL's in free agency I don't know.

Recovery is never the same for different players. He might ready in a few weeks or gone for half a season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Pigskin

Interesting that MacDougall retired. That's 2 young bomber players who have retired.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

kkc60

Quote from: Pigskin on June 06, 2023, 10:30:09 PM
Interesting that MacDougall retired. That's 2 young bomber players who have retired.
he retired?

Pigskin

That what it says. First Rosery and now MacDougall.

DM83

Those guys realized they were never going to get a real shot at playing the game. Special teams ?  Not a lot of fun?

NewBlue

Not a great look if they are infact retiring after their 1st training camp and not making a roster.
You'd hope a draft pick would take a cut with the right attitude and work to get better by the next year.
If they had other plans, then they were really not commited from the start.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 05, 2023, 04:21:48 AM
Nevis > Stove > Sayles > Walker

Each step was a downgrade.  It turned out to be just a tiny downgrade at times, but still a downgrade.  I expect Walker to step up and be close to Sayles, but not nearly a Stove/Nevis.

I beg to differ. Stove was an upgrade to Nevis.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: NewBlue on June 07, 2023, 12:09:13 PM
Not a great look if they are infact retiring after their 1st training camp and not making a roster.
You'd hope a draft pick would take a cut with the right attitude and work to get better by the next year.
If they had other plans, then they were really not commited from the start.

So what, it's his choice, MacDougall probably has a legitimate degree and a life and career back home to get on with, not every individual is a "rink-rat" type willing to put their life on hold to pursue a career that may peak at being a ST player. 

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 07, 2023, 12:53:44 PM
I beg to differ. Stove was an upgrade to Nevis.

Not in the history books, Stove's CFL career lasted 1-1/2 seasons.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 07, 2023, 03:57:37 PM
So what, it's his choice, MacDougall probably has a legitimate degree and a life and career back home to get on with, not every individual is a "rink-rat" type willing to put their life on hold to pursue a career that may peak at being a ST player. 

That might be the case and there is no issue with that. It might also mean the team wants to keep him under contract. In at least one case ( Kornelson ) he's returning to school so that was achieved by suspending him. That allows him to possibly return in 2024.

In the case of MacDougall, I don't know if he has 1 year left in school. He may have an injury that keeps him out for awhile. Or retiring means he could potentially return later this year if an injury occurs and he can make the AR?

Anyway. Like you said, it's his choice but technically he didn't need to retire to get on with life outside of football.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 07, 2023, 04:02:36 PM
That might be the case and there is no issue with that. It might also mean the team wants to keep him under contract. In at least one case ( Kornelson ) he's returning to school so that was achieved by suspending him. That allows him to possibly return in 2024.

In the case of MacDougall, I don't know if he has 1 year left in school. He may have an injury that keeps him out for awhile. Or retiring means he could potentially return later this year if an injury occurs and he can make the AR?

Anyway. Like you said, it's his choice but technically he didn't need to retire to get on with life outside of football.

MacDougall is only 21. By retiring, I guess we would hold on to his rights? 

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pigskin on June 07, 2023, 04:48:37 PM
MacDougall is only 21. By retiring, I guess we would hold on to his rights? 

Nope. He has no school eligibility and we released him before he retired.

theaardvark

"Retiring" from football, especially before a career, is a way for a player to get closure.  It tells other teams, "Don't bother calling me and tempting me to keep trying".  He gave it his best shot, and rather than clinging to the hope he might someday get another shot, he is moving on.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and kudos for giving it his best shot.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on June 07, 2023, 05:01:05 PM
"Retiring" from football, especially before a career, is a way for a player to get closure.  It tells other teams, "Don't bother calling me and tempting me to keep trying".  He gave it his best shot, and rather than clinging to the hope he might someday get another shot, he is moving on.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and kudos for giving it his best shot.

Probably but if any team has an injury and calls him with a promise to activate him to their AR, he can come out of retirement.
2019 Grey Cup Champions