Blue Bombers Roster Moves - June 3

Started by Sir Blue and Gold, June 03, 2023, 11:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 04, 2023, 03:55:42 PM
It's not panic but the DL is significantly different than 2022. We lost Sayles and during 2022 we had 2 DL rookie that saw some game action. Haba was a very late addition and we no others on our PR. Jeffcoat has been nicked in TC.

The names mentioned all have about 20 or more games in the CFL, so it's not exactly searching the scrap pile.

You play fast and loose with your definition of significant.  Yes, we lost Sayles but his replacement was with the team all last year.  All the other starters are the same, as is Lawson the primary DT backup.  Last year we had unproven DI as the third DE.  That's the same situation as this year, except the name has changed.  We can presume Baba is an upgrade on Cole because he beat him out.

And signing training camp cuts is the exact definition of scrap heaping.  The fact that they have logged some games with inferior teams doesn't alter that.
grab grass 'n growl

Pigskin

Doesn't look like the Elks have added Matthew Thomas to there PR. This would be an excellent pickup for the Bombers.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on June 04, 2023, 04:12:57 PM
You play fast and loose with your definition of significant.  Yes, we lost Sayles but his replacement was with the team all last year.  All the other starters are the same, as is Lawson the primary DT backup.  Last year we had unproven DI as the third DE.  That's the same situation as this year, except the name has changed.  We can presume Baba is an upgrade on Cole because he beat him out.

And signing training camp cuts is the exact definition of scrap heaping.  The fact that they have logged some games with inferior teams doesn't alter that.

I'd say the same about you. The back ups we had last year spent all or most of TC with us and survived to at least make the PR and eventually the AR. Haba was a very late add and played part of 1 pre season game.

Walker was the DI for most of 2022 but many here including Doug Brown are not convinced he is good enough. As I mentioned we have zero other players on our PR. That's not where we were in 2022.

Sayles was a monster and got one of the highest salaries for a DL or defensive players. That loss in itself is very significant.  Anybody that says otherwise is not paying attention.

Malik Clements was cut by Edmonton.

Brian Cole was cut by Edmonton

Castillo isn't a defensive player but he was an Elks cut this year.  Does that make him a scrap heap player?

Lawler was cut by the Lions before joining the Bombers. Not a bad scrap heap addition I'd say?

Grant was cut by the Ti Cats in TC 2019.

Kolankowski was cut by the Argos.

Need more examples?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on June 04, 2023, 04:18:26 PM
Doesn't look like the Elks have added Matthew Thomas to there PR. This would be an excellent pickup for the Bombers.

Careful. The Paw thinks looking at any cuts is useless. :)
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Taking a player from practice roster isn't a common thing, but sometimes a team will offer a draft pick to keep the other team from hiding him

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on June 04, 2023, 05:01:36 PM
Taking a player from practice roster isn't a common thing, but sometimes a team will offer a draft pick to keep the other team from hiding him

Either that or a neg list player. The larger issue is that it requires an immediate addition to an AR.  An actual free agent could just be added to the PR for evaluation and learning the playbook etc.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

I don?t like the make up if the defense at all.
They have nothing to hang your hat on.

What?s with Bighill?
Jeffcoat?
Zero LB?s
D-Line looks like sieves.

Rose, Houston?

Pete

The only change to the starting defence really is walker in for Sayles. However in saying that it mystifies me how haba is on roster, other than 1 special teams tackle and 1 offside call he didn't do anything, no pressures at all..

3rdand1.5

Let's see how the first couple weeks go, but to say I don't at least have a few concerns about the Defensive line and LB's would be a lie. I like it sounds like most have some real concerns on talent and depth on the front 7

This management and coaching staff has got us to three straight cups and won two and arguably the biggest issue we lost the third has been resolved with Castillo. It's really hard to second guess them and for all we know a guy is on his way.

I do hope Leggs lands somewhere
I am surprised as of today Bennet is on the active, maybe he is a special teams beast?
I am a little surprised with Mc Crea hurt and JA's mediocre at best PS we didn't at least PR an IMP. RB
I am happy Thomas at least was kept around
Haba is a surprise but he must have showed something
Jackson is suprising, but I guess we have a plan to use him
I am concerned with Wilson on the 6 game again..
I am concerned with Biggie and Brady hurt

I can't wait for hopefully the Bombers to put all my concerns to bed....Let's go for four!

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on June 04, 2023, 07:39:00 PM
The only change to the starting defence really is walker in for Sayles. However in saying that it mystifies me how haba is on roster, other than 1 special teams tackle and 1 offside call he didn't do anything, no pressures at all..

I am not sure Walker is going to be as good as Sayles was the past two seasons. Sayles: 32 games.  64 DT, 11 sacks, 2 FF.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 04, 2023, 04:25:20 PM
Careful. The Paw thinks looking at any cuts is useless. :)
No need to pile on The Paw.  He is an extremely valuable member on this forum.

Quote from: DM83 on June 04, 2023, 07:13:41 PM
I don?t like the make up if the defense at all.
They have nothing to hang your hat on.

What?s with Bighill?
Jeffcoat?
Zero LB?s
D-Line looks like sieves.

Rose, Houston?
You are entired to your opinion.

Our D is similar to last year and we were great. Yes we have injuries and new faces but also a top coach in Hall and a proven system and lots of killer vets.

Run D a concern.
Quote from: Pigskin on June 04, 2023, 09:09:30 PM
I am not sure Walker is going to be as good as Sayles was the past two seasons. Sayles: 32 games.  64 DT, 11 sacks, 2 FF.
Agree

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on June 04, 2023, 03:42:20 PM
Maybe its worth holding off on total manic panic until after we see the full D in regular season action.

Haha, the forum holding off on a chance to manic panic?!  Haha (but good idea!)

Quote from: Pete on June 04, 2023, 07:39:00 PM
The only change to the starting defence really is walker in for Sayles.

And Parker will be out many weeks, perhaps the majority.  So that's 2 changes.

Quote from: Pigskin on June 04, 2023, 09:09:30 PM

Yes, that's the problem.

Nevis > Stove > Sayles > Walker

Each step was a downgrade.  It turned out to be just a tiny downgrade at times, but still a downgrade.  I expect Walker to step up and be close to Sayles, but not nearly a Stove/Nevis.

I don't have any sense of panic.  I'm not sure many others do either.  It's more a sense of what did we do to make our D better?  By all measurements, we didn't.  At all.  We tried to limit the damage from losing Sayles.  We tried to refill the DB hopper a little bit.

That's a bit upsetting, as why didn't we FA splash to make our D better?  I guess we had zero money leftover after 2 J's and AB4 got paid.  So this might be the best we could do.

Never forget that we won 2022 mostly on the backs of the O.  Our unstoppable 2019 D is long gone.  We are pinning it mostly on the O again, and that's where the big FA (and retention) money went.  Even the "upgrade" to Castillo is a sign that we're rolling with aggressive need-more-points O.  The D will just have to be serviceable, and we'll still win games.

(Maybe we are making a last minute bid for Lemon, it would be a cheap way to shore up the DL, and he can FAKENAT for Fatboi at times in creative schemes.)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on June 04, 2023, 08:45:30 PM
I am concerned with Wilson on the 6 game again..
I am concerned with Biggie and Brady hurt

Are they really though?  This could simply be some of the MOS smoke and mirrors.  He loves to mess with opponents' heads with these is-he-ready-or-not shenanigans.  I won't believe any of it until I see the week 1 depth chart.

(If Wilson is really out for many games to start the season, I will be rather peeved.  What's up with that?)
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 05, 2023, 04:23:48 AM
Are they really though?  This could simply be some of the MOS smoke and mirrors.  He loves to mess with opponents' heads with these is-he-ready-or-not shenanigans.  I won't believe any of it until I see the week 1 depth chart.

(If Wilson is really out for many games to start the season, I will be rather peeved.  What's up with that?)

Wilson is definitely out. For how long remains to be seen. It could be less than 6 weeks but he'll still need to get into game condition and speed after a long lay off. That's once he's cleared medically.

Bighill and Oliveria are back at practice. I don't see that as O'Shea smoke and mirrors. Both are vets and Bighill is an older vet. Neither need massive amount of TC reps, so it's just health management. They may not be 100% but lots of players will have similar issues after TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 05, 2023, 10:20:44 PM
Wilson is definitely out. For how long remains to be seen. It could be less than 6 weeks but he'll still need to get into game condition and speed after a long lay off. That's once he's cleared medically.

What is Wilson's problem anyhow?  I can't recall... did we ever find out?  Seems like an awfully long time.  I guess it's like BA when he started the season on the PR.  Did we know Wilson was going to spend season-weeks on the IR??  And we still didn't sniff around for FA IMP WILLs?

Love the guy, but holy smokes get out of the tub!  He's turning into Wild part 2!  What's it with these WILLs and tubs?
Never go full Rider!