Blue Bombers Sign Tui Eli

Started by ModAdmin, January 18, 2023, 10:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers sign offensive lineman Tui Eli 

WINNIPEG, MB., January 18, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the return of Canadian offensive lineman Asotui (Tui) Eli, who has signed a three-year deal with the club.

Eli
(6-4, 326, University of Hawaii; born: January 31, 1996, in Richmond, B.C.) returns to the Blue Bombers after not playing during the 2022 Canadian Football League season.

Eli was selected by the Blue Bombers in the fourth round, 34th overall, in the 2019 CFL Draft and appeared in five games in his first season. Following the cancellation of the 2020 CFL campaign due to the global pandemic, Eli returned in 2021 to play a key role as a rotational component along the club?s veteran offensive line, while suiting up for all 14 regular season games - including four starts - plus the Western Final.

Eli, who was born in Richmond and is of Samoan heritage, appeared in 36 college games over three years with the Rainbow Warriors and was twice named to the preseason Rimington Award watch list as the top centre in NCAA football.

He missed the 2018 season with a knee injury, but had his interest in the game revived through a family connection with Blue Bombers Assistant Danny McManus.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_or_die

Wow, didn?t expect to ever have him back! Blast from the past.

He was quite the prospect when we drafted him and this is great for depth.

Or does this indicate we can?t keep Couture?
#Ride?

Pigskin

Wow, 3 years deal. Like it. Love Eli and he plays a little nasty.  Does this mean talks are not going well with Couture.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Pete

Looks like a good signing, I believe he can also play back up center which were gonna need if Couture isnt resigned which appears likely

Sir Blue and Gold

Couture probably out of the picture but Eli is a great option especially now that the mandates are over. Also would represent a pretty decent savings I would think over what Couture is going to get in free agency.

blue_or_die

I?m expecting a hot take post from Tecno at 3 am in this thread
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 19, 2023, 12:02:44 AM
I?m expecting a hot take post from Tecno at 3 am in this thread

"I've rewatched every snap from 2021 and I think I saw O'Shea slip Eli a note at 11:54 of the 3rd quarter of game 18. I missed it the first three times but when you slow it down you can make our a few letters: 'S__ _o_ in 2___'. I think this note says see you in 2023 and what planning that was by the organization. You can see another person almost off camera smiling while looking in the general direction. He's going to be good!"

M.O.A.B.

This is very good surprised signing. Either Eli or Kolankowski can handle C. Couture will like heading to free agency (and possibly end up in BC)

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 19, 2023, 12:42:52 AM
"I've rewatched every snap from 2021 and I think I saw O'Shea slip Eli a note at 11:54 of the 3rd quarter of game 18. I missed it the first three times but when you slow it down you can make our a few letters: 'S__ _o_ in 2___'. I think this note says see you in 2023 and what planning that was by the organization. You can see another person almost off camera smiling while looking in the general direction. He's going to be good!"

:D :D :D
My wife is amazing!

the paw

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 18, 2023, 10:26:39 PM
Wow, didn?t expect to ever have him back! Blast from the past.

He was quite the prospect when we drafted him and this is great for depth.

Or does this indicate we can?t keep Couture?

I think that is exactly what it means.  
grab grass 'n growl

blue_or_die

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 19, 2023, 12:42:52 AM

:D :D :D
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Wow, I'm totally stunned, never expected to see him on a football field ever again.  I guess it was his vaccinated status that forced him to leave the team prior to the 21 G.C. and kept him off the field all last season, glad that's all in the past!

Lincoln Locomotive

he's big and nasty and we have him for 3 years....good signing
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Well, doesn't Mr. Walters come up with some surprises...

Good signing.  Oline is deep and talented...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.