Blue Bombers extend contract of defensive back Desmond Lawrence

Started by ModAdmin, December 07, 2022, 04:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers extend contract of defensive back Desmond Lawrence

WINNIPEG, MB., December 7, 2022 ? The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American defensive back Desmond Lawrence to a one-year contract, he was scheduled to become a free agent in February.

Lawrence (6-1, 185, North Carolina; born: November 30, 1994, in Charlotte, NC) joined the Blue Bombers in October following his release from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and started one regular season game, followed by starts in both the Western Final and Grey Cup.

Lawrence made his Blue Bombers debut in Vancouver against the B.C. Lions on October 15th, registering one tackle and four pass knockdowns. He followed that up with three tackles, an interception and a knockdown in the Western Final and four tackles in the Grey Cup loss to the Toronto Argonauts.

Prior to joining the Blue Bombers, Lawrence spent the 2021 season and part of the 2022 season with the Tiger-Cats. In 2021, he was named the Ticats Most Outstanding Rookie after a 10-game season in which he recorded 22 tackles, one sack and two interceptions.

Lawrence played college football at North Carolina, playing in 47 games before professional stints with the Detroit Lions, the Atlanta Legends of the Alliance of American Football, and the DC Defenders of the XFL before coming to the CFL.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

M.O.A.B.

we need to upgrade the middle of the DL to be back as #1D. Sayles is not as dominant as Stove and Thomas is declining. Also, we need another DE that will rotate with the Jeffs.

Pigskin

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on December 08, 2022, 02:36:32 PM
we need to upgrade the middle of the DL to be back as #1D. Sayles is not as dominant as Stove and Thomas is declining. Also, we need another DE that will rotate with the Jeffs.

Sayles had another excellent year. Thomas and Lawson really where the weak links at DT this season.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

the paw

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on December 08, 2022, 02:36:32 PM

Stove didn't play a snap in 2022.  All in all, I would say Sayles had the better year.

Stove also only played half the season in 2021.
grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on December 08, 2022, 07:45:37 PM
Sayles had another excellent year. Thomas and Lawson really where the weak links at DT this season.

Ya, Sayles just keeps getting better.  He wasn't '19/'21 Stove-level good, but he's rapidly gaining on that level.  I thought he'd be the weak link when Stove left, but he proved me wrong.  If he keeps improving, he'll be a very stout DT.  I'm not sure he'll ever be Stove-level, but Stove was unique.

(I'll try to forget about that last FG snap of the GC...)

Thomas seemed to regress over the season.  He sure did make some "wow" plays I've noted, but he doesn't make an every-snap impact that we need, unless his sold role now is to tie blockers up.  We're not privvy to how MOS/Hall are scheming him.  I wouldn't be completely shocked if we don't re-up him.  If we do, it might be for just 1 more year.  Of course, this is all complicated by ratio implications.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

As for Lawrence, he held his own.  This doesn't bode well for Taylor's return... and what does it say about Houston?  Of course, we do need depth, but this might hint to some hard choices being made.

I'm not convinced on Lawrence long term, though.  I guess I just haven't seen enough.  I need to see him for a half a season working with the guys every snap.  I do have a ton of faith in Hall/MOS's ability to spot talent though, and clearly he's passed the FIFO lock room test.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 08, 2022, 10:33:56 PM
As for Lawrence, he held his own.  This doesn't bode well for Taylor's return... and what does it say about Houston?  Of course, we do need depth, but this might hint to some hard choices being made.

I'm not convinced on Lawrence long term, though.  I guess I just haven't seen enough.  I need to see him for a half a season working with the guys every snap.  I do have a ton of faith in Hall/MOS's ability to spot talent though, and clearly he's passed the FIFO lock room test.

I wouldn't worry about Houston they'll find a spot for him, Rose looks to be a possible candidate for odd-man-out after he struggled through injuries for much of this season and is probably making at least $20-30k more than any of the younger DB's.

Signed: Brandon Alexander; Deatrick Nichols; Jamal Parker; Tyrell Ford*; Nick Hallett*; Noah Hallett*; Evan Holm; Demerio Houston; Dime Redha Kramdi; Desmond Lawrence;

Pending FA: Winston Rose; Mercy Maston; Alden Darby, Jr.; Nick Taylor

Already Cut: Malcolm Thompson*; Patrice Rene*

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 08, 2022, 11:34:01 PM
I wouldn't worry about Houston they'll find a spot for him, Rose looks to be a possible candidate for odd-man-out after he struggled through injuries for much of this season and is probably making at least $20-30k more than any of the younger DB's.

Rose made big plays in the post-season.  Maybe he just had an off year in the regular season.  I pay Rose to stay here, otherwise he'll pull a M.Sayles and be awesome in an opposing team.  Maybe you can use his off year to fend off a $$ increase.

Maston/Taylor: what's the CFL rules, and what's the "WFC way" on cutting injured guys?  Isn't that poo-poo'd?  Don't we at least give them a chance at TC?

Rene cut?  Didn't he suffer a horrific injury in like his first start?  And we just drop him?  Rough business.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

I expect Houston will become the starter at CB in 2023. What may be less certain is his health after his injury in 2022. He was practising at the end of the year but they didn't activate him. That might have been more of a long term decision to ensure he's gets back to 100%.

I also expect Rose to return but that's not certain either at this point.

Injuries or competition in TC may change the plan.

So having Lawrence is a good situation regardless of what else happens.

As much as I like Taylor, his injury might have closed his CFL career. If he's healthy and wants to play I wouldn't be upset to see him back in TC. I just don't think that is in the cards.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 09, 2022, 12:43:40 AM
Rose made big plays in the post-season.  Maybe he just had an off year in the regular season.  I pay Rose to stay here, otherwise he'll pull a M.Sayles and be awesome in an opposing team.  Maybe you can use his off year to fend off a $$ increase.

Maston/Taylor: what's the CFL rules, and what's the "WFC way" on cutting injured guys?  Isn't that poo-poo'd?  Don't we at least give them a chance at TC?

Rene cut?  Didn't he suffer a horrific injury in like his first start?  And we just drop him?  Rough business.

Typically Walters waits until players he's decided to move on from reach F.A. and then doesn't bother offering them a new contract.  He did it with Darvin and Lucky, Maston and Taylor will probably receive the same cold shoulder. If Rose is not stolen in F.A. I think they will sign him for another year, as one of the older vets. in this secondary he deserves the opportunity to compete for his job.

M.O.A.B.

If DB Mike Jones reach free-agency, I would like to take take him back.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on December 09, 2022, 05:07:47 PM
If DB Mike Jones reach free-agency, I would like to take take him back.

I like M. Jones but it depends on what else is happening in the secondary. If we can't re-sign Darby he might be a candidate at SAM. IMO he's very versatile and that's an asset.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_or_die

I'm normally nostalgic and loyal to our players who do well for us, but in the case of DB, I'm happy to start the newer talent at the expense of pricier vets with questionable injury histories. We recruit "next man up" for the precise reason, at least in part, to get cap relief and free up cash to pay premiums at other areas of need.

I love Rose and Taylor but I'm happy for Rose to get a great paycheck somewhere else in FA and for Taylor to retire after a great career and a ring.

I expect Houston/Nichols/Alexander/Parker/Lawrence with Holm, Ford and the Hallets in the wait.

That said, I'd be happy to sign Darby as a SAM stalwart and swiss army knife should we need a plug through injuries in the secondary next year.
#Ride?