Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Hamilton September 17, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2022, 03:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 18, 2022, 05:54:58 PM
Ellingson looked great when he played but if he misses the next 3 or 4 games, I'd have to consider him a bust.  Hopefully he redeems himself in the playoffs.

So now when players get injured they have to redeem themselves Interesting.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 18, 2022, 05:20:06 PM
We didn't really have many candidates in TC which I found disappointing. At worst you need a good player as a DI in case of injury and just for rotation. Our DI's have been a bust on the DL and at LB.

As injuries have added up it's become more and more apparent.

What the heck? We added Cooper and Hassell to the active roster nearly immediately. I don't know if either will stick but we don't seem to be using them even in relief? In effect we're playing a few men short and many regulars are playing nicked.
I also wonder why we havent seen tyrell ford at cornerback... we've seen the success of the philpots, abnd ty ford. Tyrellis just as good an athelete
On  a separate note weve seen the recipe for beating our d...find a way to reduce pressure ie throwing outside screens, runs,using the jeffs agression, and then the weaknesses in our secondary and linebacker really present themselves.

Blue In BC

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on September 18, 2022, 05:51:29 PM
after the bye week it would be nice to see Taylor Ellingson Woli back. I know Wilson and Houston were longer term stuff right?

The transparency is not there. Ellingson and Wilson have been out the longest. Houston and Taylor just in the last 2 games. A couple of these injuries seem to have been achilles so I'm not really expecting those players back this season.

I'd be happy if that was an incorrect judgment on my part, but until I hear otherwise, that's the way it is.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 18, 2022, 06:18:13 PM
The transparency is not there. Ellingson and Wilson have been out the longest. Houston and Taylor just in the last 2 games. A couple of these injuries seem to have been achilles so I'm not really expecting those players back this season.

I'd be happy if that was an incorrect judgment on my part, but until I hear otherwise, that's the way it is.
yup all we can do to yap about it on here and hope?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 18, 2022, 06:00:48 PM

Not exactly but any player that sustains a serious injury may never be the same. He may be more prone to re-injury ( Maston ) for example. Several of our injured had serious injuries that may overlap into 2023.

In the case of Ellingson he's missed 7 of 14 games at this point. He may or may not be able to return this season. So his time as a Bomber for a player that will turn 34 at the end of the year is not guaranteed.

All we heard was hip injury. He could be back and make a significant contribution by the end of the year.

He can certainly play if he's healthy but he did also miss 4 games in 2021 during the regular season.

I'll cheer if he's back soon.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on September 18, 2022, 06:23:23 PM
yup all we can do to yap about it on here and hope?

It's up to management to have or find the next, next man up as injuries happen. Depth doesn't stop at the 1st next man up. We haven't had this many serious injuries to so many starters for several years.

I haven't seen that concern from management, IMO to build / adjust the PR. Essentially we don' tend to bring in too many new players once the season starts.

I think there are 2 players on the PR that weren't at TC and 2 on the game day roster ( Cooper and Hassell ).

OTOH we have 12 players on IR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 18, 2022, 06:24:48 PM
Not exactly but any player that sustains a serious injury may never be the same. He may be more prone to re-injury ( Maston ) for example. Several of our injured had serious injuries that may overlap into 2023.

In the case of Ellingson he's missed 7 of 14 games at this point. He may or may not be able to return this season. So his time as a Bomber for a player that will turn 34 at the end of the year is not guaranteed.

All we heard was hip injury. He could be back and make a significant contribution by the end of the year.

He can certainly play if he's healthy but he did also miss 4 games in 2021 during the regular season.

Ellingson has been a disappointment to me. He is injured just to often.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Pigskin

Really like Mason Bennett. Winnipeg kid that is good friends with BO20. I would like to see Winnipeg go hard on him when he becomes an FA.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on September 18, 2022, 06:38:18 PM
Ellingson has been a disappointment to me. He is injured just to often.

He's played 7 games and is our 2nd leading receiver. He was a stud when he was playing this year.

Two injuries this season is disappointing but I don't know I can blame that on him. Luck of the draw?  He only played part of the game he came back, so this may be the same injury.

I get the opinion and don't entirely disagree. Sometimes it's the risk of an old player signing.

Jeffcoat missed 2 games in 2021 and has missed 3 this year. Now we're hearing he's injured again? I know he seems to have been playing hurt for quite awhile.

So it's tough to say any player is injury prone etc. Even harder when it's a higher SMS hit and / or an older veteran.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 18, 2022, 06:47:22 PM
He's played 7 games and is our 2nd leading receiver. He was a stud when he was playing this year.

Two injuries this season is disappointing but I don't know I can blame that on him. Luck of the draw?

I get the opinion and don't entirely disagree. Sometimes it's the risk of an old player signing.

the injuries are partly to be expected at 33 yrs and the wear and tear of playing so long as a key target. Interestingly the top 13 recievers this year are all under 30

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 18, 2022, 05:54:58 PM
Ellingson looked great when he played but if he misses the next 3 or 4 games, I'd have to consider him a bust.  Hopefully he redeems himself in the playoffs.
So with that thinking, Nathan Rourke is a bust too. Utter nonsense. Players get hurt, it?s a fact of life playing football.

blueandgoldguy

Losing Stove in the off-season and Kongbo to the NFL real hurts and it doesn't appear they were adequately replaced on the interior of the d-line.  We arguably had the best d-line last year, but with the current players we have on the interior, it appears we are average at best.  We just don't seem to get that consistent pressure that we used to.  Kongbo would have been a nice add as I selfishly hoped he would not get picked up for any team's NFL practice roster.  I thought he had a good chance of becoming not only a good Canadian defensive tackle but one of the better ones in the league.  That could still happen of course if he is eventually released and the bombers pick him up for next year or the year after.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on September 18, 2022, 06:00:48 PM

I'm just saying he still has a chance to make this season a good one, he is in danger of slipping into Nick Moore territory if he can't play enough to contribute.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 18, 2022, 06:24:48 PM

I think Ellingson signed for 2 years, if not, he may not be back, add that to the possible loss of Schoen to the NFL in the off-season and Walters will have to be very aggressive shopping in F.A. to maintain the strength of the receiving corps.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blueandgoldguy on September 18, 2022, 07:22:28 PM
Losing Stove in the off-season and Kongbo to the NFL real hurts and it doesn't appear they were adequately replaced on the interior of the d-line.  We arguably had the best d-line last year, but with the current players we have on the interior, it appears we are average at best.  We just don't seem to get that consistent pressure that we used to.  Kongbo would have been a nice add as I selfishly hoped he would not get picked up for any team's NFL practice roster.  I thought he had a good chance of becoming not only a good Canadian defensive tackle but one of the better ones in the league.  That could still happen of course if he is eventually released and the bombers pick him up for next year or the year after.

JK2 doesn't play DT, he's a DE. But yes, we had a good thing last year with him rotating in for either Jeffcoat or Jefferson.

Is Stove back BC yet??

No he is still on the 6 game IR, and since he is now making pretty decent money and has sat out more games in the CFL than he's actually played, I wouldn't consider him a good investment.