Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

CFL all-star OL Patrick Neufeld signs contract extension with Bombers

Another key ingredient locked down.

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/11/cfl-all-star-ol-patrick-neufeld-signs-contract-extension-with-bombers/

GCn19

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 11, 2022, 04:21:20 PM
CFL all-star OL Patrick Neufeld signs contract extension with Bombers

Another key ingredient locked down.

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/11/cfl-all-star-ol-patrick-neufeld-signs-contract-extension-with-bombers/

This signing was pretty much going to be a slam dunk. Great for both parties. Welcome back for another year Neuf.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on January 11, 2022, 03:13:34 PM
I fully expect Lawler to get NFL interest, and he deserves it.  And hopefully we will have room should he come back...

My concern is Bailey.  He might get some NFL interest as well, he's a year older than Lawler, but the kicker is, he beat out Lucky for a spot on this team.  That has to figure into negotiations somewhere...

We've got some big names on paper, and no doubt have put out a good number of offers.  SMS demands that we can't give everyone offers all at once, if they all took them, we could get screwed.   Success is a double edged sword... we have to replace an all star DB who was making ELC money, and have a handful of other players that deserve big raises based on play, and very few medium to large contracts moving on.  Unless we spent to the basement last year (which I find hard to imagine) and are willing to go over this year, we are going to lose a substantial number of very good players.

When does the NFL window close?  How much time will we have to offer anyone that does not get an NFL contract an extension here, before they can start FA shopping? 

One month to the FA opening day, lots of paperwork to do now, and lots of moving targets once that day arrives.  Do we still have the one week "FA interview" window?  I mean an official one, not Chris Jones' version. 

I really don't think it does. Bailey beat out Lucky because he's a more well rounded prospect and Lucky did very little while he was here. Bailey is a good third receiver but nothing more. I expect him to develop further and be an even more integral part of the team, but NFL? You have nothing to worry about.
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 11, 2022, 06:21:29 PM
I really don't think it does. Bailey beat out Lucky because he's a more well rounded prospect and Lucky did very little while he was here. Bailey is a good third receiver but nothing more. I expect him to develop further and be an even more integral part of the team, but NFL? You have nothing to worry about.

It's hard to say what the upper window on Bailey is, he may even be a decent replacement for Lawler.  His speed and hands are good, he might not have the ability to go up and make the spectacular catches Lawler does, but he can certainly make the the tough ones in close contact. As long as Demski is on the field they still have one of the best deep ball receivers in the game.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 11, 2022, 06:55:07 PM
It's hard to say what the upper window on Bailey is, he may even be a decent replacement for Lawler.  His speed and hands are good, he might not have the ability to go up and make the spectacular catches Lawler does, but he can certainly make the all of the tough ones in close contact. As long as Demski is on the field they still have one of the best deep ball receivers in the game.

Agree, and those are all things that great #3 receivers do.
#Ride?

the paw

If we lose Lawler to free agency, but signed wall the other starters back, we would still be in good shape.  Bailey, Adams (if healthy) and Wolitarsky can all absorb more targets.  Demski is probably near peak production.  In my mind, that means replacing Lawler doesn't necessarily mean signing a league leading receiver, just a guy with solid production.

To me, that means we could take a chance on guys looking for a bounce back year like Shaw Evans or Derel Walker.  Weineke might be a possibility, but either Acklin or Dunbar could also fill the bill.  I don't think I would look at Ellingson or Burnham, as their price for what is likely to be diminishing returns is going to be too much.

Obviously I would want Lawler back, but we don't have to break the bank for him.  I can't see him signing for less than $185k though, given where Lucky has set the market.
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on January 11, 2022, 08:37:46 PM
If we lose Lawler to free agency, but signed wall the other starters back, we would still be in good shape.  Bailey, Adams (if healthy) and Wolitarsky can all absorb more targets.  Demski is probably near peak production.  In my mind, that means replacing Lawler doesn't necessarily mean signing a league leading receiver, just a guy with solid production.

To me, that means we could take a chance on guys looking for a bounce back year like Shaw Evans or Derel Walker.  Weineke might be a possibility, but either Acklin or Dunbar could also fill the bill.  I don't think I would look at Ellingson or Burnham, as their price for what is likely to be diminishing returns is going to be too much.

Obviously I would want Lawler back, but we don't have to break the bank for him.  I can't see him signing for less than $185k though, given where Lucky has set the market.

Agree, I think the receiving corps. would still be strong without Lawler as long as he is replaced with a steady performer who fits in well with the existing receivers.  No glamour boys needed.

gobombersgo

BLUE BOMBERS EXTEND CONTRACT OF CFL ALL-STAR OFFENSIVE LINEMAN PAT NEUFELD

WINNIPEG, MB., January 11, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a one-year contract with all-star offensive lineman Pat Neufeld.

Neufeld (6-6, 311, Saskatchewan; born: December 26, 1988 in Regina, SK.) returns to the Bombers for what will be his 11th Canadian Football League season and eighth with Winnipeg.

A versatile lineman who made starts at both right guard and right tackle for the Bombers in 2021, Neufeld also earned the first all-star nominations in his career after being named to both the West Division and CFL All-Star teams.

Neufeld appeared in 13 of the 14 regular-season games and in both the West Final and Grey Cup, helping the Bombers lead the CFL in scoring, finish second in rushing while surrendering the fewest quarterback sacks. His work was critical all year as the Bombers captured their second straight championship with a win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the 108th Grey Cup.

Neufeld was originally selected by the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the fifth round of the 2010 CFL Draft and was acquired by the Bombers in a trade in 2013 for DE Alex Hall and a second-round pick in the 2014 draft.

He has appeared in 119 regular-season games, 82 with the Bombers.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/01/11/blue-bombers-extend-contract-cfl-star-offensive-lineman-pat-neufeld/

gobombersgo

BLUE BOMBERS EXTEND CONTRACT OF OFFENSIVE LINEMAN CHRIS KOLANKOWSKI

WINNIPEG, MB., January 12, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension with Canadian offensive lineman Chris Kolankowski.

Kolankowski
(6-1, 305; York University; born: February 7, 1992 in Etobicoke, ON) returns to the Blue Bombers for a second season after first signing with the club in February of 2020.

Kolankowski spent most of 2021 on the practice roster, but did dress for two regular-season games at the end of the year in Montreal and Calgary and then suited up for the 108th Grey Cup win in Hamilton.

Originally selected by the Toronto Argonauts in the sixth round, 49th overall, of the 2016 CFL Draft, Kolankowski provides important depth on the interior of the club's offensive line.

After returning to York University in his draft year, Kolankowski made his CFL debut with the Argos in 2017 and dressed for six regular-season games and two playoff games, including Toronto's victory in the 105th Grey Cup. He appeared in 16 games for Toronto in 2018 before signing with Winnipeg.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/01/12/blue-bombers-extend-contract-offensive-lineman-chris-kolankowski/

gobombersgo

BLUE BOMBERS TRANSACTIONS: JANUARY 12, 2021

WINNIPEG, MB., January 12, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has released national defensive end Jonathan Kongbo in order to allow him to further pursue an NFL agreement.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/01/12/blue-bombers-transactions-january-12-2021/

Transactions:

2022-01-12   WPG   KONGBO, Jonathan   DL   N   Tennessee   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2022-01-11   WPG   JEFFERSON, Willie   DL   A   Stephen F. Austin State   Add To   Active Roster

Pigskin

Nice to have Chris K back, good depth Canadian for our O.

JK2, is taking another shot at the NFL. Doesn't surprise me.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: theaardvark on January 05, 2022, 08:05:56 PM
Have to wonder if JK2s done looking south of the border...  looks like DeJarlais and Alford are going to get long looks... Nichols and Sayles maybe too... what is the NFL window look like for them?

Well, he deserves the opportunity, and hopefully, should things not work out, he returns again... what better opportunity has a player had than rotating with Jefferson and Jeffcoat?  Bet he learned a lot this year, lets see if the NFL scouts agree...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Losing Kongbo hurts our rotation and ratio on defence.

Good luck to him in his NFL dreams and we'd welcome him back if things don't work out.

Extending Kolankowski is a good move but he wasn't due to be a free agent going into 2022. Does he compete for a starting role or our 6 OL? I suppose it depends on who else we are able to keep.

Need to see more of our potential free agents re-signed. We've only got about 7 starters from 2021 under contract and have lost 2 to NFL at this point.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 12, 2022, 03:25:09 PM
Losing Kongbo hurts our rotation and ratio on defence.

Good luck to him in his NFL dreams and we'd welcome him back if things don't work out.

Extending Kolankowski is a good move but he wasn't due to be a free agent going into 2022. Does he compete for a starting role or our 6 OL? I suppose it depends on who else we are able to keep.

Need to see more of our potential free agents re-signed. We've only got about 7 starters from 2021 under contract and have lost 2 to NFL at this point.

Kongbo is a major loss.  He likely gets replaced by a DI.  That means Griffiths might have to step up to rotate with Fatboi, and if Leggs can actually placekick it would free up a DI spot.  Not insurmountable, but it narrows options.
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on January 12, 2022, 03:58:09 PM
Kongbo is a major loss.  He likely gets replaced by a DI.  That means Griffiths might have to step up to rotate with Fatboi, and if Leggs can actually placekick it would free up a DI spot.  Not insurmountable, but it narrows options.

Agreed. With only 4 DI's it's an issue we didn't have in 2021. Need that 2nd quality Canadian on defence. The other Candidate would be Briggs at WIL if he is re-signed. However Wilson is so good that's not a switch I'd like to see very often.

2019 Grey Cup Champions