Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockitch

Just saw this ...... indicating players the Jets offered qualifying contracts to

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/jets-make-qualifying-offers-to-12-players/c-299271892

Bit surprised Morrow & Phillips not offered
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

PloenFan

Do qualifying offers only apply to restricted free agents (RFA'S) ?

It looks as if several UFA contracts are also coming due (e.g. Stastny, Hendricks, Enstrom, Hutchinson)

https://www.nhl.com/jets/team/playertracker

What's the process to re-sign them ?

theaardvark

Quote from: PloenFan on June 26, 2018, 01:59:30 AM
Do qualifying offers only apply to restricted free agents (RFA'S) ?

It looks as if several UFA contracts are also coming due (e.g. Stastny, Hendricks, Enstrom, Hutchinson)

https://www.nhl.com/jets/team/playertracker

What's the process to re-sign them ?

Hence the Restricted and Unrestricted designations.. 

After July 1, UFAs can sign anywhere, right now they can talk to anyone.  I don't expect any UFA's back, with the possible exception of Stasny if Chevy makes a trade to free up cap space. 

RFA's can sign offer sheets, but we have the opportunity to match, or get compensation based on the size of the contract signed..

RFA's with arbitration rights can select that route, submit a number and the team submits a number and an arbiter decides the final number, which becomes a binding contract.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jockitch on June 25, 2018, 10:31:55 PM
Just saw this ...... indicating players the Jets offered qualifying contracts to

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/jets-make-qualifying-offers-to-12-players/c-299271892

Bit surprised Morrow & Phillips not offered

Same here. I was definitely expecting Morrow to get a qualifying offer. I also thought the organization was pretty high on Phillips.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Just because you don't get a qualifying offer doesn't mean the team does not have interest...  they can still compete for that player's services on the open market, just not be tied into a number.  Not sure if any of these players had arbitration rights, or if that factored in...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on June 26, 2018, 01:43:58 PM
Just because you don't get a qualifying offer doesn't mean the team does not have interest...  they can still compete for that player's services on the open market, just not be tied into a number.  Not sure if any of these players had arbitration rights, or if that factored in...

Nobody said the team doesn't have interest. It's just odd neither received a qualifying offer. Also, neither player has arbitration rights.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 26, 2018, 01:55:49 PM
Nobody said the team doesn't have interest. It's just odd neither received a qualifying offer. Also, neither player has arbitration rights.

I didn't think they did.  Qualifying offers are a guaranteed raise... with SMS tight this year, that might not be in the cards...

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on June 26, 2018, 02:03:57 PM
I didn't think they did.  Qualifying offers are a guaranteed raise... with SMS tight this year, that might not be in the cards...

Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, all qualifying offers are for one year and fall into three categories: 110 per cent of the previous base salary if it was less than or equal to $660,000; 105 per cent of the base salary if it was greater than $660,000 and less than $1 million; or 100 per cent of the base salary if it was equal to or greater than $1 million.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/jets-make-qualifying-offers-to-12-rfas-pass-on-four-including-morrow-486502951.html

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 26, 2018, 02:27:26 PM
Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, all qualifying offers are for one year and fall into three categories: 110 per cent of the previous base salary if it was less than or equal to $660,000; 105 per cent of the base salary if it was greater than $660,000 and less than $1 million; or 100 per cent of the base salary if it was equal to or greater than $1 million.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/jets-make-qualifying-offers-to-12-rfas-pass-on-four-including-morrow-486502951.html

So, for Morrow and Phillips, it was a guaranteed raise...  thanks. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on June 26, 2018, 02:03:57 PM

First off, this isn't CFL. Second, the increase in QO to each player shouldn't be enough to put the Jets in dire straits from a cap management standpoint. Yes, it's a guaranteed raise but the increase for each player would be negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Morrow's base salary was $832,500. With a QO of 105%, his base would've increased to $874,125 ($41,625 raise).
Phillips' base salary was $650,000. With a QO of 110%, his base would've increased to $715,000 ($65,000 raise).

I can't see $106,625 being the reason for not giving QOs to these two players.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 26, 2018, 06:48:39 PM
First off, this isn't CFL. Second, the increase in QO to each player shouldn't be enough to put the Jets in dire straits from a cap management standpoint. Yes, it's a guaranteed raise but the increase for each player would be negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Morrow's base salary was $832,500. With a QO of 105%, his base would've increased to $874,125 ($41,625 raise).
Phillips' base salary was $650,000. With a QO of 110%, his base would've increased to $715,000 ($65,000 raise).

I can't see $106,625 being the reason for not giving QOs to these two players.

It's not 106k, its the whole salary.  They were luxuries last year when we had cap space, they are both cap space and contracts that come with them...  sounds like they are moving on from Phillips to the next prospect.  Morrow might still end up as Jet...

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on June 26, 2018, 08:02:25 PM
It's not 106k, its the whole salary.  They were luxuries last year when we had cap space, they are both cap space and contracts that come with them...  sounds like they are moving on from Phillips to the next prospect.  Morrow might still end up as Jet...

What are you talking about? Having a player you're comfortable playing on your NHL roster signed to a sub 1M contract does nothing but help cap issues. Having players signed to contracts like that who can play IS the luxury. You don't get extra roster spots because you're under the cap.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on June 26, 2018, 08:02:25 PM

It's the base salary that's used when a QO is made, which is a definitive number to use (I won't speculate on bonus figures). However, even if bonuses put the total to $150-$200K, that's still a minuscule percentage (less than 1%) of the total cap space remaining. Money simply does not seem like the reason for moving on from these two players.

If anything, it's numbers based on the amount of personnel/depth within the organization and management is comfortable moving on from either. I think the Jets are higher on Berdin, who appears set to become Comrie's backup in the AHL. I'm not sure on Morrow but I figured a QO was a foregone conclusion. He was a nice depth piece.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jockitch

Bottom line is ....... Trouba, Morrissey, HellB are going to get large amounts offered in the end to ponder.
Heard on 1290 Radio bout 2ish tht the Jets are still talking to Morrow's agent. 
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

TrueBlue75

From Cheveldayoff:

The Jets did not issue a qualifying offer to fellow deadline acquisition Joe Morrow, but Cheveldayoff expects the journeyman D man to re-sign a more team-friendly contract when free agency opens on Jul. 1.

"We anticipate something will work out in our favour there," Cheveldayoff said. "He had an arbitration case that wasn't going to be to our availability, given our cap. He wants to be here, so we feel there's a good chance we'll getting something done."