Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PloenFan

What is Washington doing differently from the Jets to run roughshod over Vegas ?
It looks as if the Caps may be roughing them up more than we did.
Would we have suffered the same fate if we had managed to get past Vegas ?

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: PloenFan on June 06, 2018, 03:30:46 AM
What is Washington doing differently from the Jets to run roughshod over Vegas ?

Caps are a team that have been this before.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

blue_gold_84

They're way better with the puck in the offensive zone than the Jets were the last round. More east-west movement, better possession/forechecking, and getting more traffic in front of the net, leading to high danger scoring chances and second and third shots to score. Defensively, they're also doing a great job clogging lanes, blocking shots, and checking hard. The special teams are also coming up huge for them. Game 4 was a near perfect execution of that gameplan.

I'm not sure how the Jets would've fared had they won the WCF. Not that it matters. :-[
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

It's also possible Vegas is just running out of steam and not playing their best. It happened to the Jets after Nashville. Most teams look different series to series. Remember when Washington was in a 2-0 hole to COLUMUS?!
#Ride?

theaardvark

Fleury has dropped his save % from over .950 to under .890...  that's what the Caps have done.

He carried the LVGK on his back up until this series, and now he looks quite human...

.846, .965, .943, .946, .969 against us

.857, .885, .885, .739 against WSH

Sure, that means WSH is taking better advantage of the shots they are getting.  But has there been one save anyone remembers about this series from MAF?  Sure, Holtby has had some HON nominees, but has MAF?  Yet our series was nothing but MAF highlights...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jockitch

Days away from the Draft & Chevy has not announced any important RFA signings
Because the Jets are in tight as to how the structure of salaries shakes down in the next couple years .....
.... would not doubt that Roslovic is given his chance to play Top 6 at center ....... between Ehlers & Laine

With HellB, Morrissey & Trouba needing new "step up to the plate Chevy" contracts & Kulikov & Myers making high $$'s
....... I would hope Kulikov gets moved & Chiarot & Morrow stay in the plans as Dmen.
Chevy may rock our world, if Trouba is not cooperating, & move him out
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

Quote from: Jockitch on June 18, 2018, 09:55:47 PM
Days away from the Draft & Chevy has not announced any important RFA signings
Because the Jets are in tight as to how the structure of salaries shakes down in the next couple years .....
.... would not doubt that Roslovic is given his chance to play Top 6 at center ....... between Ehlers & Laine

With HellB, Morrissey & Trouba needing new "step up to the plate Chevy" contracts & Kulikov & Myers making high $$'s
....... I would hope Kulikov gets moved & Chiarot & Morrow stay in the plans as Dmen.
Chevy may rock our world, if Trouba is not cooperating, & move him out

If the cap goes up the reported 5+ mil, then we are fine...  and might even sign Stasny...

If we move Myers for a DP, that opens up even more space for the RFAs...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jockitch

Myers salary got listed at $3.M, with a Cap Hit of $5.5M for this season.   Signing Stastny would be wonderful but at what cost .... $5.5M, $6.5M & how many years ??
  However ........ Little starts a 6 year contract at a Cap hit of $5,291,666.M per which shows the 1st 2 years his salary set at .... $6.5M - GULP !!!
I'm suggesting we can't afford both at approximately $6M per, considering HellB, Trouba & Morrissey are each going to be in & around $5M.

Add Kulikov's $4,333,333.M for the next 2 years ....... we need more than a 1 year Myers contract to be moved ...... cuz Laine comes next.

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Jockitch

went to      http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=WIN  .... for some terrific facts

Last season we saved $335,835K under the Salary Cap Hit .......... the cost of 29 contracts
Now their present Salary Cap for this season is  54,402,498.M ...... which is just 15 contracts.
I only took a cut at an additional 8 RFA contracts
So if the Jets sign Lowry for 2.2M., Armia for 2.M., Tanev @ 1.7M., Trouba for 5.8M., Morrissey @ 4.7M., Poolman for 1.3M., Morrow @ 1.2M., & HellB for 5.3M.

This arbitrary additional 24.2M brings 23 contracts to $ 78,602,498.    So where do the Jets get savings to sign another 4 - 6 contracts over the season.

Chevy really has to be aggressive & the league Cap has to be up around $ 82M.

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Jockitch

Salary Cap up by 4.5M ........ set for the 2018-19 season at 79.5M
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-salary-cap-set-at-79-5m-1.1119587

What is Chevy going to do to make contracts fit ??

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

I'm sure liking the idea of Myers, Petan/Dano for a first rounder... opens cap space for Stasny, and room for players to move up.  Although I'd love to see Petan stay, he will be a great value on a team needing cap room...

Even a package with some of our AHL players for a team looking for depth, a solid Dman with a team friendly / cap unfriendly contract... 

We have enough parts now that we can start using assets that are close to ready but still unknown for parts that are further down the pipe...

gbill2004

I heard a rumor that Hellebuyck has been signed to a contract extension in the 6x6 range.  Might be announced this weekend.

Jockitch

Yikes 6 X 6 is a chunk of change ....... sure hope HellB doesn't read his press clippings & performs with magnificent focus & agility

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Jockitch

Sure hope that if Chevy moves 1 or more of our prized players that he does NOT move them into the same Conference
......... Just don't want to see, for i.e.,  Myers, Trouba, Perrault, Little, etc., playing 6-8 times vs Jets.

Mind you ...... have no allegiance to Mason or Kulikov & actually would like to see their contract $$ used better.

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jockitch on June 22, 2018, 12:31:59 AM
Salary Cap up by 4.5M ........ set for the 2018-19 season at 79.5M
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-salary-cap-set-at-79-5m-1.1119587

What is Chevy going to do to make contracts fit ??

He'll have to move some pieces, IMO. That's the only way to make it work.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.