Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_or_die

Quote from: Jesse on March 20, 2018, 02:47:42 PM
Play offs are two months long if you keep winning. You don't rest him because "he needs it", you rest him so he can stay fresh going into the play offs.

That's true, but that said, I'd really like to beat LA tonight and I don't have much faith in Comrie.

Hoping we can give him some confidence by not letting the Kings control the zone and put him under siege, and also by netting 4-5 of our own.

It sounds like Maurice already has determined every single game Comrie will play for the rest of the season, so this being a non-threat to our seeding makes sense even though they are a western team in the playoff hunt. Probably as good a time as ever to throw him to the wolves.

We play Ottawa and Montreal b2b near the end of the season and I'll say right now I have zero problem whatsoever giving both those games to Comrie. Our exact playoff spot might already be in the books by then.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Play offs are two months long if you keep winning. You don't rest him because "he needs it", you rest him so he can stay fresh going into the play offs.

Exactly right. Glad you understood what I meant.

Maurice went on record saying he wanted to rest Hellebuyck prior to Mason injuring his knee and then Hutchinson getting another concussion. You try to avoid running your starting goalie into the ground as the playoffs approach and giving him a game off here and there is ideal. This season is now his heaviest workload in his young career and there are still 10 regular seasons remaining.

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 20, 2018, 03:16:58 PM
That's true, but that said, I'd really like to beat LA tonight and I don't have much faith in Comrie.

I doubt many do. Unfortunately, injuries have taken their toll at netminder and this is what has to be done in order to keep Hellebuyck fresh for the playoffs.

This will be a good test for Comrie but the boys in front of him have to do their part to help him out tonight. It won't be an easy task.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 20, 2018, 03:16:58 PM

Hoping we can give him some confidence by not letting the Kings control the zone and put him under siege, and also by netting 4-5 of our own.

It sounds like Maurice already has determined every single game Comrie will play for the rest of the season, so this being a non-threat to our seeding makes sense even though they are a western team in the playoff hunt. Probably as good a time as ever to throw him to the wolves.

We play Ottawa and Montreal b2b near the end of the season and I'll say right now I have zero problem whatsoever giving both those games to Comrie. Our exact playoff spot might already be in the books by then.

At this point, it doesn't matter at all. We are clearly not catching Nashville after the streak they've been on lately, so as long as we hold on to #2, we're golden. We're probably going to be resting more guys than Helle moving forward.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Quote from: Jesse on March 20, 2018, 03:35:53 PM
At this point, it doesn't matter at all. We are clearly not catching Nashville after the streak they've been on lately, so as long as we hold on to #2, we're golden. We're probably going to be resting more guys than Helle moving forward.

It matters if you hold irrational grudges and are still mad about losing to LA a few weeks ago ;)
#Ride?

The Zipp

TSN

Verified account

@TSN_Sports
5m5 minutes ago
More
INJURY UPDATE: Winnipeg Jets head coach Paul Maurice says Jacob Trouba has a concussion and is out indefinitely #TSNHockey

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 20, 2018, 03:44:41 PM
It matters if you hold irrational grudges and are still mad about losing to LA a few weeks ago ;)

LOL :D

Yeah, that was a crummy game to see the boys lose. Weren't the Kings coming off a back-to-back that night, too...? :-\

Anyway, some news on Bryan Little: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/maurice-has-full-confidence-in-little-477324843.html

Sounds like he's pretty banged up at the moment. Here's hoping he heals up in time for the playoffs and can contribute positively.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 20, 2018, 03:54:56 PM
LOL :D

Yeah, that was a crummy game to see the boys lose. Weren't the Kings coming off a back-to-back that night, too...? :-\

Anyway, some news on Bryan Little: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/maurice-has-full-confidence-in-little-477324843.html

Sounds like he's pretty banged up at the moment. Here's hoping he heals up in time for the playoffs and can contribute positively.
That would explain his terrible play recently, and would make me feel better about his contract. 

theaardvark

"Fresh" and "rested" are relative.  Goalies are not skating full out for 60 minutes, they get small amounts of furious action.  And. sometimes, keeping focus by being in the game is as important as being "fresh" and "rested"...

Bucky seems to be thriving on lots of work.  Some goalies do.  

Like I said, coming of a shelling, or if he's banged up, definitely rest is a solid idea.  But if he's feeling fine and wants to be in there, rest might be worse than playing.

Going into the playoffs, are you going to rest a hot goalie?  Or are you going to keep him in the game so that he stays focused?  Plus, in the playoffs, if you win in 4, you get some time off...  and we will be winning in four every round ;)
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

gbill2004

The Athletic has an article ranking the NHL teams best at drafting.  Here's the top 5 (Coyotes were last):

1. Ducks
2. Jets
3. Lightning
4. Canes
5. Panthers

New_Earth_Mud

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Statsny-Laine
Perrrault-Copp-Little
Tanev-Lowry-Armia

Morrissey-Myers
Enstrom-Byfuglien
Morrow-Chiarot

Comrie
Hellebuyck
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

Jockitch

Feel it is unfortunate that Poolman & Roslovic are not in .......... really on the fence about Morrow
Thinking because Kings rep is to play a "heavy" game, PM sees that Tanev, with his tenacity to hit, is the right fit over Roslovic.
Little still on the wing ........ head scratcher.   Crossing fingers that Comrie excels.

GO JETS GO
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on March 20, 2018, 05:17:04 PM
Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Statsny-Laine
Perrrault-Copp-Little
Tanev-Lowry-Armia

Morrissey-Myers
Enstrom-Byfuglien
Morrow-Chiarot

Comrie
Hellebuyck

starting 6 C, including an entire 3rd line of C...

Not sure I prefer Morrow over Poolman, but we will defer to the experts...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on March 20, 2018, 06:23:38 PM
starting 6 C, including an entire 3rd line of C...

Not sure I prefer Morrow over Poolman, but we will defer to the experts...

Perrrault is a winger not a C.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 20, 2018, 06:40:37 PM
He plays both, actually. And he's listed as such: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/mathieu-perreault, https://www.nhl.com/player/mathieu-perreault-8473618

His versatility is a huge plus.
I'm pretty sure he hasn't played centre in at least a few years.  He really struggles at centre.