Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

TrueBlue75

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 18, 2018, 08:15:59 PM
What happened?

It'll be great getting Scheifele and Lowry back today. Enstrom back would be nice, too.

Maurice favoured Tanev?s PK ability over Roslovic staying in. Wondering if he expects the physicality to be higher tonight too.

I?m feeling a bit nervous about this one but hopefully Laser Laine puts that feeling to rest quickly ;D

Jockitch

Dallas is certainly giving the Jets a game ........ HellB is the man so far.
Little's chance is about the only good effort by a Jet in the past 12 minutes or so.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

TrueBlue75

Laser Laine 8)

I sure would love to have Statsny sign with the Jets next season, but I can?t see that happening with the cost that would take. Would he take a one year deal I wonder?

The Zipp

Another win...2 goals for Laine.  Trouba out - guessing concussion

The Zipp

Quote from: TrueBlue75 on March 18, 2018, 11:50:33 PM
Laser Laine 8)

I sure would love to have Statsny sign with the Jets next season, but I can?t see that happening with the cost that would take. Would he take a one year deal I wonder?

From Jeff Hamilton:

It seemed unrealistic weeks ago but the Jets need to be thinking about the future with Paul Stastny. Patrik Laine is going to want and deserves a strong centreman and the chemistry is obvious.

gbill2004

Quote from: The Zipp on March 19, 2018, 02:00:08 AM
From Jeff Hamilton:

It seemed unrealistic weeks ago but the Jets need to be thinking about the future with Paul Stastny. Patrik Laine is going to want and deserves a strong centreman and the chemistry is obvious.
Little?s contract is looking terrible right now. Could prevent us from re-signing Wheeler and/or Stastny.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 19, 2018, 02:02:04 AM
Little?s contract is looking terrible right now. Could prevent us from re-signing Wheeler and/or Stastny.

No  lol
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

gbill2004

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on March 19, 2018, 08:38:00 AM

No  lol

lol yes. Look at all the guys on ELCs and bridge deals who also need to be paid significant raises in the next 1-2 years.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: The Zipp on March 19, 2018, 01:13:12 AM
Another win...2 goals for Laine.  Trouba out - guessing concussion

Gotta be. That was helmet to helmet with Benn early in the third period. Trouba looked drunk after it. :-[

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 19, 2018, 10:13:02 AM
lol yes. Look at all the guys on ELCs and bridge deals who also need to be paid significant raises in the next 1-2 years.

He's only making about $600K more next season compared to this one. Keep in mind Matthias, Enstrom, and Hutchinson are all coming off the books, which is over $9M in salaries.

He hasn't a good season but saying his extension is terrible is definitely an over-exaggeration.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 19, 2018, 12:12:36 PM
Gotta be. That was helmet to helmet with Benn early in the third period. Trouba looked drunk after it. :-[

He's only making about $600K more next season compared to this one. Keep in mind Matthias, Enstrom, and Hutchinson are all coming off the books, which is over $9M in salaries.

He hasn't a good season but saying his extension is terrible is definitely an over-exaggeration.
Do the math. Not everyone can stay. Trouba, Helle, Ehlers (still on his ELC this year), Laine, Connor, Morrissey are all due huge raises. That $9 million might cover Laine?s salary. Crunch the numbers and you will see Chevy has some very difficult decisions to make in the next couple years.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 19, 2018, 01:06:50 PM
Do the math. Not everyone can stay. Trouba, Helle, Ehlers (still on his ELC this year), Laine, Connor, Morrissey are all due huge raises. That $9 million might cover Laine?s salary. Crunch the numbers and you will see Chevy has some very difficult decisions to make in the next couple years.

I don't disagree there. However, I do disagree with your assertion Little's contract extension is terrible.

Of course not everyone can stay. That's just the nature of today's NHL, though. No team is immune to that.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 19, 2018, 01:06:50 PM

I'm thinking that at the draft table, there is going to be a deal done for Trouba.  Hopefully, his injury problems this year won't kill the return on him.

We are scary deep on D right now, and yes, we lose Enstrom soon, and Buff after that, and maybe even Myers, but our D corps is pretty solid and getting them ice time to develop is tough.  Niku should be up here next year, should slide right into Enstrom's spot.  Poolman has been solid, and I don't think Chiarot is coming out of the lineup again.

Remember when we had no L D?  Now it looks like we have the opposite problem... if we can't extend or end up trading Trouba. 

Buff, Morrissey
Myers, Kulikov
Poolman, Chiarot

Niku, Morrow, Nogier, Melchiori, Stanley...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 19, 2018, 01:24:57 PM
I don't disagree there. However, I do disagree with your assertion Little's contract extension is terrible.

Of course not everyone can stay. That's just the nature of today's NHL, though. No team is immune to that.
Yes, and I don't think keeping Little was the right choice.  You can only keep some players and Little was/is not a priority.  I think that was a bad decision and will likely result in Chevy needing to trade or not re-sign a better, younger player.  Little is already showing signs of regression, he has no chemistry with Laine/Ehlers and the contract hasn't even kicked in. 

theaardvark

Every team has a contract or two they'd rather have a a slightly smaller figure.  It happens.  Little at just over $5mil is going to be a contract that is overpaying, not because he's a bad player, but because we have so many good players that we'd like instead. 

If our roster was at the level our 2015 roster was, depth wise, I'm sure the Little contract would not be an issue.  Because he'd be either our #1 or #2 C.  Now, he played 3rd line wing last game, so that Copp can get some time at C. 

Is a buyout an option?  t makes the cap hit a lot smaller, and stretches it out over time... I don't think we miss Little as a player going forward, although he is a good guy in the locker-room, and well liked, we could probably save $3mil in cap space. 

Addition by subtraction?  If losing him means getting Roslovic to C, or developing Copp...  or even signing Stasny...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.