Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on December 13, 2017, 05:50:03 PM
When we couldn't make a playoff run, sure, we were on every no trade list.  Now, when we are at the top of the rankings, with a very talented lineup and a solid coaching staff, I think that changes.  It might even change with Trouba, now that we are contenders. 

But as long as we were a sad sack team, no, no one wanted to be here.  But can you imagine Tavares being asked if he'd like to centre Laine/Ehlers?  Yeah, I can see that being a no on his part.  NOT.

Sorry man, there is no argument here. We are on 100% of no-trade lists. It's a reality we have to live with.

Perhaps, if we had sustained success as a Stanley Cup contender it may change for some players, but most of these lists were submitted before the year started (though that admittedly varies by team).
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on December 13, 2017, 05:42:15 PM
You do realize my contention is to improve the current roster.  I'm not talking about DP's or prospects coming back.  I'm talking one big bump up for some "spare parts".  Which is what "spare parts" are for, none of those players are helping us this year.  Its why you build depth, so that you can make a big move for a big name.

You don't think that Tavares centreing Ehlers/Laine would be an upgrade?  Little taking over for Hendricks?  That's the idea, upgrade an already potent O. 

So, you think the team should trade for player it doesn't need. The Jets are more than fine at C and are presently third in the league in FO% (http://puckbase.com/stats/team-faceoffs). So, your contention is not only ridiculous but it's ignorant, too.

The Jets have plenty of big names: Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers... And then some underrated but important players like Little and Perreault, the former of which clearly flies under your radar. Forward depth is the least of the team's concerns right now - if you've actually been paying attention to the team.

And no, a team doesn't build depth to move a bunch of it for one player, much less for a player that doesn't address a need. What a clueless comment.

This narrative is akin to your idea of the Jets trying to get Fleury.

Quote from: theaardvark on December 13, 2017, 05:50:03 PM
When we couldn't make a playoff run, sure, we were on every no trade list.  Now, when we are at the top of the rankings, with a very talented lineup and a solid coaching staff, I think that changes.  It might even change with Trouba, now that we are contenders. 

But as long as we were a sad sack team, no, no one wanted to be here.  But can you imagine Tavares being asked if he'd like to centre Laine/Ehlers?  Yeah, I can see that being a no on his part.  NOT.

More pointless conjecture. The Jets haven't proven anything yet. Let's see them win a playoff game or a series first before assuming players will suddenly eliminate Winnipeg from the no trade lists and want to play here.

Jee-zus.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 13, 2017, 08:36:04 PM
So, you think the team should trade for player it doesn't need. The Jets are more than fine at C and are presently third in the league in FO% (http://puckbase.com/stats/team-faceoffs). So, your contention is not only ridiculous but it's ignorant, too.

The Jets have plenty of big names: Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers... And then some underrated but important players like Little and Perreault, the former of which clearly flies under your radar. Forward depth is the least of the team's concerns right now - if you've actually been paying attention to the team.

And no, a team doesn't build depth to move a bunch of it for one player, much less for a player that doesn't address a need. What a clueless comment.

This narrative is akin to your idea of the Jets trying to get Fleury.

More pointless conjecture. The Jets haven't proven anything yet. Let's see them win a playoff game or a series first before assuming players will suddenly eliminate Winnipeg from the no trade lists and want to play here.

Jee-zus.

Need?  No, we don't need to improve at any position.  But you should want to get better if you can.  Hendricks has been great, an excellent signing by the team.  But if you could replace him with Taveres, why would you not? 

As to moving depth players, we have an exceptionally deep team.  Moving some of these assets to get better is what cup contenders do. 

Remember, we have guys like Appleton, de Leo, Petan, Lipon, Sgarbossa, Phillips, Melchiori...  and don't forget Vesalainen
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Zipp

#NHLJets recall defenceman Julian Melchiori from @ManitobaMoose, as team also announces Dustin Byfuglien placed on injured reserve. Winnipeg hosts Chicago tonight @bellmtsplace. #NHL

sounds like a few injuries on the go and the Jets will have to do a bit of shuffling on D...

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on December 13, 2017, 10:38:09 PM
Need?  No, we don't need to improve at any position.  But you should want to get better if you can.  Hendricks has been great, an excellent signing by the team.  But if you could replace him with Taveres, why would you not? 

As to moving depth players, we have an exceptionally deep team.  Moving some of these assets to get better is what cup contenders do. 

Remember, we have guys like Appleton, de Leo, Petan, Lipon, Sgarbossa, Phillips, Melchiori...  and don't forget Vesalainen

Comparing Tavares and Hendricks is beyond ignorant. One's a bottom 6 grinder who can win defensive zone faceoffs and kill penalties. The other is an elite talent. From both a role and a salary standpoint, it's apples and oranges. Again: the Jets are currently third in FO% and are a top offense in the NHL.

Moving prospects to acquire a rental simply for the sake of doing so is not what contenders do.

So, no. I wouldn't trade for Tavares simply because. That doesn't make a lick of sense.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 14, 2017, 04:41:57 PM
Comparing Tavares and Hendricks is beyond ignorant. One's a bottom 6 grinder who can win defensive zone faceoffs and kill penalties. The other is an elite talent. From both a role and a salary standpoint, it's apples and oranges. Again: the Jets are currently third in FO% and are a top offense in the NHL.

Moving prospects to acquire a rental simply for the sake of doing so is not what contenders do.

So, no. I wouldn't trade for Tavares simply because. That doesn't make a lick of sense.

This.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 14, 2017, 04:41:57 PM

If you put Taveres into the lineup, you move Little into the spot Hendricks is in.  Get it?

Second line get BETTER.  Fourth line gets BETTER.  Team gets BETTER. 

But I guess good enough is good enough for you....
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on December 14, 2017, 05:38:32 PM
If you put Taveres into the lineup, you move Little into the spot Hendricks is in.  Get it?

Where does Crosby fit in?

theaardvark

Quote from: Colton on December 14, 2017, 05:58:45 PM
Where does Crosby fit in?

Where ever he wants...

But if you're going to be silly, why not ask where Toews fits...  now there's a trade you can make every day of the week...

New_Earth_Mud

Thats not a good idea at all.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on December 14, 2017, 06:12:51 PM
Where ever he wants...

But if you're going to be silly, why not ask where Toews fits...  now there's a trade you can make every day of the week...

Yeah I'm the one being silly

The Zipp

Well the Jets got schooled tonight - play a bit careless and this is what happens...3 big games coming up they should have been more ready for this one tonight. 

Jockitch

I'm a Tavares lover ........ it would be a dream come true if he wore our team colors ........ however it sure isn't likely

Our current crop of centres, not including Scheif, are certainly winning a few faceoffs indeed ....... but putting the puck in they are not.
Hendricks with 4 is a nice surprise at this point but Little with 5 goals & Lowry with a pathetic 3, is just not decent results.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

blue_or_die

Crappy game. I was really excited for it, too. We always play Chicago well. Not this time.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

You sure don't. So, continuing this asinine discussion with you would be foolish.

Reality always seems to elude your opinions.

Quote from: blue_or_die on December 15, 2017, 12:51:01 PM
Crappy game. I was really excited for it, too. We always play Chicago well. Not this time.

Glad I didn't waste my time watching last night. 3-0 after 20... Brutal.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.