Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

Buff goes rogue way too often for my tastes. The best teams win through disciplined systems play combined with superior skill and good goaltending. I think the Jets have the skill and sometimes the goaltending, what we haven't had is great systems play and Buff is one of the reasons for that. He's a rover out there at times which is occasionally brilliant, typically fun to watch, but often a liability.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on October 13, 2017, 07:27:57 PM
After 2 games ;)

I'm sure, when he gets healthy, Buff will be his normal self.  A risk/reward guy that needs his D partner/forwards to have his back now and then.

Just curious, the Buff/Lean that came to camp was supposed to be in great shape.  Yet he has looked awkward on the ice, and now this injury.  Did he overtrain in the offseason, and not pay attention to his game?

Four games into the season is what I meant. Two games where he didn't look right and then two without him where the team has gone 2-0 isn't a reasonable indication of anything, especially the claim his contract extension is a massive mistake.

I have to think he wasn't 100% to start the season and then exacerbated his injury. I agree when he's 100% and back on the ice he'll be an asset to this team.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 13, 2017, 05:25:38 PM
After four games...? ???
Based on this:

QuoteDellow: Risk, reward and the Dustin Byfuglien question

Since the Jets moved to Winnipeg, Dustin Byfuglien has one of the worst differences between his on-ice and off-ice save percentages at 5-on-5 in the NHL. When Byfuglien's on the ice, the Jets have put up a .909 since 2011-12. When he's on the bench, they've put up a .924. Only Seth Jones and Jake Muzzin have worse differentials amongst defencemen who've been on the ice for at least 2000 shots in that window. They're both much closer to the 2,000 shot threshold (2,337 shots against and 2,406 shots against) than Byfuglien (3,735 shots against), which means that there's probably more noise in their save percentages than in Byfuglien's.
As a result of this, Byfuglien is one of the unusual players whose Corsi% is quite different than his GF%, even in a large sample. Relative to his team since 2011-12, Byfuglien's Corsi% is 2.4 points better than the Jets when he's on the bench. That's good! His GF% is 1.7 points worse than the Jets when he's not on the ice. That's bad! It's important to note that this is a save percentage problem, not a shooting percentage problem ? the Jets have shot 8.2 per cent with Byfuglien on the ice at 5-on-5 in this time and 8.0 per cent when he's on the bench.

More here: https://theathletic.com/122990/2017/10/10/dellow-risk-reward-and-the-dustin-byfuglien-question/

jets4life

FWIW, Chevy and Maurice were at the Moose game last night.  More and more team are moving in the direction of having three scoring lines, and one checking/specialty line instead of a traditional top 6/bottom 6 format.  Could the Jets be thinking of bringing up Connor and Roslovic and sending Dano and perhaps Tanev or Matthias down to the AHL?

As for Buff, I think it will depend on how the rest of our defenders perform throughout the season.  Poolman is playing better than expected.  If Niku turns out to be the best D-man on the Moose and Logan Stanley makes dramatic strides into one day becoming a top pairing D-men (he is tearing up the OHL), Buff may become expendable. 

sweep the leg

Quote from: gbill2004 on October 11, 2017, 09:29:07 PM

I'm pretty sure Buff is currently a healthy scratch. 

You were bang on when you said this about Westerman, so I assume you must be right this time too.

gbill2004

Quote from: sweep the leg on October 14, 2017, 02:38:46 PM
You were bang on when you said this about Westerman, so I assume you must be right this time too.
Yes, because they're the exact same situation  ::)

And I never said Westerman wasn't injured...I was speculating because the club was hiding everything surrounding the injury, which raised lots of questions.  Everyone was speculating.

But in the end, you can choose to believe whatever you like. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on October 13, 2017, 09:28:23 PM
Based on this:

[some cherry picked stats that don't come close to painting a complete picture]

Looks like confirmation bias to me.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 14, 2017, 04:31:38 PM
Looks like confirmation bias to me.
If you want to ignore the stats, that's fine with me! 

Those are some very telling and scary stats!  But not surprising. 

TrueBlue75

Buff is back in tonight as is Armia. Hellebuyck starts again. Poolman and Lowry out (upper body injury, day-to-day). Not excited about Poolman being out, but I'm hoping he's back in again soon. Solid playing so far. Buff said he had a nagging injury since training camp so I'm hoping that's why his play was so poor. He has to turn the intensity up tonight.

gbill2004

Nice to see Buff play a good game tonight. When he's good, he's very good. When he's bad, he can single handedly cost a team a win. Good Buff/bad Buff.

PloenFan

Nice to see the Helly backstop us to three straight wins!  :D

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: gbill2004 on October 15, 2017, 02:29:23 AM
Nice to see Buff play a good game tonight. When he's good, he's very good. When he's bad, he can single handedly cost a team a win. Good Buff/bad Buff.

Buff still passes the puck out of the D zone like a drunken sailor. It looked below average in the first couple periods to me.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Zipp

Sara Orlesky‏Verified account @saraorlesky  1m1 minute ago
More
#NHLJets place Mathieu Perreault on IR and recall Kyle Connor.

Perrealt sure is hurt a lot...hopefully nothing too serious

gbill2004

#NHLJets Mathieu Perreault out for approx 4 weeks; Kulikov 2 wks or less; Lowry another game or 2; Mason starts in goal Tues. vs Columbus.

The Zipp

Quote from: gbill2004 on October 16, 2017, 06:04:06 PM
#NHLJets Mathieu Perreault out for approx 4 weeks; Kulikov 2 wks or less; Lowry another game or 2; Mason starts in goal Tues. vs Columbus.

Huge confidence game for him...he comes in and stinks it up it will a big blow to him mentally...