The GAMING Thread

Started by blue_gold_84, August 16, 2012, 12:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colton

Quote from: BomberPride on June 04, 2015, 12:26:51 PM
I've been an Xbox purist for awhile. I'm a casual player, but I'm wondering if there really is much difference between the PS4 and Xbox 1 in terms of performance/graphics etc. I have a 360 that I was planning to trade up.

From what I understand the PS4 has a slight performance edge on the One. I don't think it's a very large gap but the one very noticeable difference I've seen early on is a lot of devs haven't been able to get games to 60FPS on the One while they have been able to do it a bit more frequently on the PS4. Seems like the One has also had a handful of games that can only do 720p.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Colton on June 04, 2015, 02:16:35 PM
From what I understand the PS4 has a slight performance edge on the One. I don't think it's a very large gap but the one very noticeable difference I've seen early on is a lot of devs haven't been able to get games to 60FPS on the One while they have been able to do it a bit more frequently on the PS4. Seems like the One has also had a handful of games that can only do 720p.

Pretty much. The difference is negligible - at least for now. The PS4 runs a different GPU (GDDR5 vs DDR3 RAM) so I think from a graphics processing standpoint, it's got the edge.

Anyways, Naughty Dog announced today a re-mastered compilation of the Uncharted trilogy on PS4. I'm pretty stoked because these games were a blast on PS3.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 04, 2015, 05:03:47 PM
Pretty much. The difference is negligible - at least for now. The PS4 runs a different GPU (GDDR5 vs DDR3 RAM) so I think from a graphics processing standpoint, it's got the edge.

Anyways, Naughty Dog announced today a re-mastered compilation of the Uncharted trilogy on PS4. I'm pretty stoked because these games were a blast on PS3.

Looks like it was done by Bluepoint Games, who have a pretty solid track record with re-masters/ports (Metal Gear Solid, Ico/SotC, God of War)

Colton

I might be going to the states this month, and may pick up a Titan X while there. Very tempting. Anyone know if you'd have to pay taxes or anything like that if buying one while in the US for a day?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Colton on June 04, 2015, 05:36:13 PM
Looks like it was done by Bluepoint Games, who have a pretty solid track record with re-masters/ports (Metal Gear Solid, Ico/SotC, God of War)

This is true. I'm sure Naughty Dog expects nothing short of perfection.

Quote from: Colton on June 04, 2015, 05:41:27 PM
I might be going to the states this month, and may pick up a Titan X while there. Very tempting. Anyone know if you'd have to pay taxes or anything like that if buying one while in the US for a day?

You would have to pay full duty (if applicable) and taxes (GST and PST) for a day trip.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 04, 2015, 05:57:30 PM
This is true. I'm sure Naughty Dog expects nothing short of perfection.

You would have to pay full duty (if applicable) and taxes (GST and PST) for a day trip.

Definitely, and dang, was hoping to save some money. Possibly still could depending on the duty. Although I haven't dealt with that before so I'm not sure how much it would be.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Colton on June 04, 2015, 06:05:20 PM
Definitely, and dang, was hoping to save some money. Possibly still could depending on the duty. Although I haven't dealt with that before so I'm not sure how much it would be.

I'm pretty certain there is no duty on a graphics card, just the federal and provincial taxes.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Hmm, sounds like that purchase may happen if I end up going to the states this month :D

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Colton on June 04, 2015, 08:42:44 PM
Hmm, sounds like that purchase may happen if I end up going to the states this month :D

If you get a titan then you gotta get a 1440p or 4k monitor. I went 1440 swift last month and man it's awesome!

Colton

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 09, 2015, 11:47:01 PM
If you get a titan then you gotta get a 1440p or 4k monitor. I went 1440 swift last month and man it's awesome!

Yup, I'm on the RoG Swift as well. I'm not a big fan of 4k monitors. The resolution is just a bit too large for something so large sitting 2 feet in front of me, and to my knowledge there are not any 144hz 1ms 4K monitors.

1440p to me is the perfect resolution for gaming, but that's an opinion from a guy who recently spent $1100 on a 1440p monitor.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Colton on June 09, 2015, 11:56:43 PM
Yup, I'm on the RoG Swift as well. I'm not a big fan of 4k monitors. The resolution is just a bit too large for something so large sitting 2 feet in front of me, and to my knowledge there are not any 144hz 1ms 4K monitors.

1440p to me is the perfect resolution for gaming, but that's an opinion from a guy who recently spent $1100 on a 1440p monitor.

Sweet ya it's good! I can't actually get 144 frames on any games yet but I consider it future proofing haha :P

Colton

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 10, 2015, 12:20:34 AM
Sweet ya it's good! I can't actually get 144 frames on any games yet but I consider it future proofing haha :P

Definitely, I think this monitor will be a top-tier monitor for a while. Only real competitor I can see currently is the Acer 144hz IPS panel that came out recently, although it only does 4ms but it's still pretty badass for an IPS panel. I think the Swift looks cooler though :P

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Colton on June 10, 2015, 01:25:10 AM
Definitely, I think this monitor will be a top-tier monitor for a while. Only real competitor I can see currently is the Acer 144hz IPS panel that came out recently, although it only does 4ms but it's still pretty badass for an IPS panel. I think the Swift looks cooler though :P

Ya, totally. The other nice one is the BenQ 2730Z. It's 1ms 144hz 1440p and has Freesync which is AMD's new version of Gsync. I took a good look at it..it looks pretty nice too.

Colton

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 10, 2015, 01:39:31 AM
Ya, totally. The other nice one is the BenQ 2730Z. It's 1ms 144hz 1440p and has Freesync which is AMD's new version of Gsync. I took a good look at it..it looks pretty nice too.

Yeah BenQ makes a lot of quality monitors. I really like a couple of their super thin bezel monitors. I'm sure they would be perfect for a multi/triple display set up.