FB situation (Awachie?)

Started by TecnoGenius, August 07, 2024, 04:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

We already play with 6-7 OL on many plays. We don't need to roster a FB.

It's essentially a dead position.
My wife is amazing!

Pete

I agree it should be, a tight end is much more useful , however O'Shea doesn't seem to agree in that we kept Jackson around all last year, and we used a 2nd round draft pick to get Chris-Ike. (where we could have gotten Ajou Ajou or Christopher Beaulieu)

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on August 09, 2024, 09:54:34 PMI agree it should be, a tight end is much more useful , however O'Shea doesn't seem to agree in that we kept Jackson around all last year, and we used a 2nd round draft pick to get Chris-Ike. (where we could have gotten Ajou Ajou or Christopher Beaulieu)

Chris-Ike was a no brainer pick, he won the combine right here in Winnipeg, no doubt MOS and Walters loved what they saw.  He's a beast, and the best of everything you want in a NAT utility player.  He backs up BO20, and is a ST demon.  Ajou went late in the draft, it wasn't just s that passed by him, for reasons I do not know.  He went from bing a top 20 pick to dropping off the top 20 in the final ranking. And we had drafted Kevens Clercius already, with Wolitarski and Demski on the roster as well.

Chris-Ike is going to be a fan favourite very soon.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 09, 2024, 09:24:48 PMWe already play with 6-7 OL on many plays. We don't need to roster a FB.

It's essentially a dead position.

Quote from: Pete on August 09, 2024, 09:54:34 PMI agree it should be, a tight end is much more useful , however O'Shea doesn't seem to agree in that we kept Jackson around all last year, and we used a 2nd round draft pick to get Chris-Ike. (where we could have gotten Ajou Ajou or Christopher Beaulieu)

Pete is right.  MOS/Buck love to run 5OL + FB, or 6OL + FB.  Heck, I'm not sure we haven't run 7OL + FB before.

We can say we think it's "wasted", sure.  But the reality is our team LOVES to field their FBs.  This is a fact you can see for yourself if you just go back and watch the games this year and last (before all of our FBs were injured).

That said, we could start a thread debating what's better: sets with 6OL+FB or 7OL.  Just because MOS/Buck do it, doesn't mean it's right!
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 10, 2024, 02:42:55 AMThat said, we could start a thread debating what's better: sets with 6OL+FB or 7OL.  Just because MOS/Buck do it, doesn't mean it's right!
It just gives you a bit more flexibility without losing a heavy blocker.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on August 10, 2024, 03:03:02 AMIt just gives you a bit more flexibility without losing a heavy blocker.

I'm talking about actual schemes/sets, not just dressers.  We almost always dress 7 OL + 1 FB.  My previous comment was specifically about on-field sets.  I should have been more clear, my bad!
Never go full Rider!