FB situation (Awachie?)

Started by TecnoGenius, August 07, 2024, 04:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Anyone have any details on the injury situation for our 2 NAT FBs?  Are we hoping one or both comes back this season?  And hopefully sooner rather than later?

NAT FB Awachie released by TOR today.  If one or both of ours is out until next season, do we take a look at Awachie?  He probably wouldn't be expensive.

Our O likes to have a FB around, and a legit FB would probably be better in the blocking role than plopping Case in there sometimes.  We seem to be rotating random rookie receivers in there to fill that role right now.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

I wondered the same thing. He might be worth a call / look on the PR. I also wondered why he was released!!
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

At 6'3" 262, he is a big FB. He's been around for 7 years, not much for offensive stats. Can he pass block?? Doesn't seem to be a stand out on teams either. 31 games, 15 STs.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on August 07, 2024, 04:55:45 PMAt 6'3" 262, he is a big FB. He's been around for 7 years, not much for offensive stats. Can he pass block?? Doesn't seem to be a stand out on teams either. 31 games, 15 STs.

In theory the only thing he can do is block which is something we need. Whether he is worth removing another Canadian from the roster to make space, is the question. SMS is a question as well.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

gobombersgo

The Riders already picked him up and is playing for them tomorrow.

With their injuries they currently have no Canadian depth.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gobombersgo on August 07, 2024, 09:05:55 PMThe Riders already picked him up and is playing for them tomorrow.

With their injuries they currently have no Canadian depth.

Doh.  We snooze we lose.  This season it seems decent depth guys are being snapped up almost immediately.

KW should keep this in mind and pre-plan what positions we should jump on before other teams do.

No one has answered my questions about injury-lengths yet though... anyone have a clue when our guys are back?
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 08, 2024, 12:13:10 AMDoh.  We snooze we lose.  This season it seems decent depth guys are being snapped up almost immediately.

KW should keep this in mind and pre-plan what positions we should jump on before other teams do.

No one has answered my questions about injury-lengths yet though... anyone have a clue when our guys are back?

We will find out the first day the boys are back to practice.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 08, 2024, 12:13:10 AMDoh.  We snooze we lose.  This season it seems decent depth guys are being snapped up almost immediately.

He's returning to where he played previously. Bombers may have made a call but he choose to go where he was familiar.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

I really don't think the Bombers are very interested in other teams releases. Walters isn't on the phone to every guy that gets released. I think they believe in their scouting, their ability to draft and develop and bring guys along the Bombers' way. When O'Shea tells you they like the guys they have, he means it. We certainly don't need to be spending SMS on a fullback.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 08, 2024, 02:03:53 PMI really don't think the Bombers are very interested in other teams releases. Walters isn't on the phone to every guy that gets released. I think they believe in their scouting, their ability to draft and develop and bring guys along the Bombers' way. When O'Shea tells you they like the guys they have, he means it. We certainly don't need to be spending SMS on a fullback.

Yes but the guys we have are both injured. We did pick up Feltmate after he was released but he also got injured.

None of these guys are going to be much more than SMS salaries so that shouldn't be an issue. Chris-Ike and Feltmate are both on 6 game IR. It's possible one comes off early but both could be season ending. Our info doesn't really tell us.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 08, 2024, 02:44:07 PMYes but the guys we have are both injured. We did pick up Feltmate after he was released but he also got injured.

None of these guys are going to be much more than SMS salaries so that shouldn't be an issue. Chris-Ike and Feltmate are both on 6 game IR. It's possible one comes off early but both could be season ending. Our info doesn't really tell us.

Sure, yes, the guys we've listed as fullbacks are out. However, that doesn't mean we need to airlift in another one. That position is basically exclusively used in supporting roles which we've done a fine job in working through. Chris-Ike and Awatchie couldn't be more different despite both being "full backs" and would be used differently anyway.

theaardvark

We have a FB on the AR, his name is Streveler.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 08, 2024, 03:19:03 PMSure, yes, the guys we've listed as fullbacks are out. However, that doesn't mean we need to airlift in another one. That position is basically exclusively used in supporting roles which we've done a fine job in working through. Chris-Ike and Awatchie couldn't be more different despite both being "full backs" and would be used differently anyway.

That's true although we did feel a need to bring in Feltmate in June. Even though they have different roles, having an actual player with FB experience does / can have role.

A FB should be able to block and be a little lighter / faster on his feet than using Wallace or Eli as a TE. Some FB's are actually used nominally as a receiver or a short yardage player.

The catch 22 is that he displaces another player that may have a more significant role on ST's or offence.

I'm not upset we didn't sign him. We don't know whether they tried to sign him. I wouldn't have been upset if they did sign him or another equivalent.

This was due to having problems on the OL with Collaros getting sacked or pressured too often. Perhaps Randolph solves part of that issue. We'll see how that goes after a few more games.

We don't really know how long Neufeld will be out or whether he will become the starter again later this season. He's played in 128 games and Randolph as played in 1.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 08, 2024, 03:36:53 PMWe have a FB on the AR, his name is Streveler.

Last game I swear I saw Eli filling in at FB.