Sask and Hamilton make a trade...

Started by The Zipp, August 14, 2023, 12:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Not sure a punter and QB have been traded for straight up before.  stats junkie you are up...

TIGER-CATS ACQUIRE PUNTER VEDVIK FROM SASKATCHEWAN: The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Sunday, the football club has acquired global punter Kaare Vedvik from the Saskatchewan Roughriders in exchange for American quarterback Antonio Pipkin

DM83

Wow, pipkin is the new version of Kevin Glenn! :)
Man the CFL needs some QBs.

Time to re-think the salary  cap

TecnoGenius

Uh isn't HAM hard up for QBs also?  Powell ain't gonna cut it.  I would have rolled with the Pipper.

But I guess HAM figures they don't need him at all so they must have other ideas, like pinning it all on Bo coming back or something?  What a tire fire and fan letdown on a GC year.  Teams seem cursed when they host.

Other than that, it's a good trade because (good) GLOBs are a bit limited in quantity because of the small draft.  Is this the first ever GLOB trade?  It's a "free" dressed player on the roster, and a great place to "hide" GLOBs.

And SSK is desperate and clearly knows Dolegala is useless and should be canned soon.  Pipkin always reminded me of VAJ, developed around the same time, had the same path, etc.  I used to not be able to tell them apart as they look similar standing on the field, though I think someone said Pipkin was a tall guy?  If VAJ can somehow be good out of nowhere, why not Pipkin?  I look forward to seeing him try.

Everyone seems to win and be happy with this trade.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Hey wait a minute... isn't HAM where Leggs is?  So is this a massive vote of no-confidence on Leggs punting?  Kind of like here when we were splitting up Leggs' duty?  What is HAM kicker lineup going to look like now, then?
Never go full Rider!

DM83

GOLDMEMBER

Wow Pipkin needs to just go away. Bring in some new blood!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on August 14, 2023, 12:26:24 AM
Isn?t Legs just place kicking?

Was he?  Ah, it was Flint GLOB.  Uh, wot?  They changed to a GLOB P from a ... GLOB P??  Uh.  Ok.

Looking at the roster, maybe they'll roll with Locksley as the main #1 plan?  Not sure that's gonna work out...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 14, 2023, 12:44:08 AM
Wow Pipkin needs to just go away. Bring in some new blood!

That's what I thought about VAJ!!  Before this season I thought VAJ=Pipkin.  VAJ improved, why not little Pip?  Ya, I won't put money on it either.  But zero other options for SSK.  I'm proud of their GM for actually getting something positive accomplished.  At least he looks like he's doing something.

Does this hint that Fine is hurt more/longer than we thought?

Also, is this a smart move specifically for LDC/BB?  Pipkin is/was a "running QB" and clearly we've had problems with those.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders-acquire-qb-antonio-pipkin-from-hamilton-tiger-cats-1.1995658

Pipkin isn't a great option but will bring stability and a veteran presence.  To suggest that he goes away is disrespectful to the player.

Pete

It is a sign of desperation to have to go and trade for Pipkin, shows big lack of confidence in Doegala and Pattterson, who at the beginning of year Dickenson felt they were so good he had to keep all 4 qbs on the roster. I wonder how much money they offered mbt that he turned down rather than play behind sask oline

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on August 14, 2023, 02:20:50 AM
It is a sign of desperation to have to go and trade for Pipkin, shows big lack of confidence in Doegala and Pattterson, who at the beginning of year Dickenson felt they were so good he had to keep all 4 qbs on the roster.

I don't think they intend to play Pipkin, much like BC and Hamilton did, Sask. will have him there "just in case" they run out of other options.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 14, 2023, 12:50:53 AM
That's what I thought about VAJ!!  Before this season I thought VAJ=Pipkin.  VAJ improved, why not little Pip? 

Little Pip ain't so little, 6'3" 225 lbs, he's the same size as Dom. Davis.

Pete

the comments on the rider forum on this trade are hilarious..."traded a big mac for a quarterpounder" and "run pipkin run"

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 14, 2023, 02:34:21 AM
Little Pip ain't so little, 6'3" 225 lbs, he's the same size as Dom. Davis.

Ya, I was being facetious.  You guys filled me in on Pip's size in another thread 2 months ago.  Maybe it's because his on-field presence feels so small...  ;) :D ;D

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 14, 2023, 02:32:34 AM
I don't think they intend to play Pipkin, much like BC and Hamilton did, Sask. will have him there "just in case" they run out of other options.

I'd wager some money that if Fine isn't back by LDC that they start Pipkin in that game!

Quote from: Pete on August 14, 2023, 02:49:02 AM
the comments on the rider forum on this trade are hilarious..."traded a big mac for a quarterpounder" and "run pipkin run"

Nah, more like traded a small fries for a nugget.

This trade may not look much to us, but this is SSK trying to salvage their season.  I bet we see more trades.  Rider nation is not happy right now and JO and CD are thiiiis close from being fired and getting a driveway full of poop.
Never go full Rider!